MB 180 CLA (C118) any way of getting the pops and bang exhaust sound

Atarioldskool

Car
CLA (C118) 180 AMG Premium plus
Hi

Ok not exactly a performance car!!
Just wondering is there abaolutley anyway of actually getting the pops and bang sound from the exhaust for this car ?
Not looking to change exhaust or cat back etc
Anything software ish related ?
Any add-ons / slight mods ?

Martyn_n

Car
W124 E320, W163 ML270 & W166 ML350
Am I the only one that remembers when a backfiring exhaust was the sign of a poorly tuned engine (I still believe this to be true). Each to their own but I firmly believe these (fake) exhaust sounds should remain on clown cars in the circus, they can be anti-social in the extreme.

SpikyMikey

Car
S204 2013
Am I the only one that remembers when a backfiring exhaust was the sign of a poorly tuned engine (I still believe this to be true). Each to their own but I firmly believe these (fake) exhaust sounds should remain on clown cars in the circus, they can be anti-social in the extreme.
Each to their own I guess, but when I was at Tech college many, many, many years ago doing my City and Guilds pops and bangs were generally thought to be a bad thing caused by timing, mixture or high tension maladies.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, Leon Cupra 290, BMW R100
You'd have to get someone to remap the ECU, so that on closed throttle it massively retards the timing and alters the fuel mixture so that combustion happens in the exhaust instead of the combustion chamber. Of course, get this wrong and you'll at the very least wreck your catalytic converter, or worse cause significant damage as the EGT spikes.

OP
OP
A

Atarioldskool

Car
CLA (C118) 180 AMG Premium plus
You'd have to get someone to remap the ECU, so that on closed throttle it massively retards the timing and alters the fuel mixture so that combustion happens in the exhaust instead of the combustion chamber. Of course, get this wrong and you'll at the very least wreck your catalytic converter, or worse cause significant damage as the EGT spikes.
Thank you for your constructive reply.

I guess its a no, dont want to be messing around with the ecu for that

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 BlueEfficiency
Well I think it would be fun! Kinda like a Q-car. I know, small bluetooth speaker hidden near the exhaust and you can have whatever sound you want. Just think of the fun when people see a 180 drive past with a Ferrari exhaust note :banana: :banana:

(Looks for number of the patent office........)

Larkone

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLS 320 CDI facelift
You have to do it - a CLA 180 that pops like a Ferrari - hilarious and the world needs to something to laugh at nowadays.

E55BOF

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS 350 SB, SLK55, FJR1300, Caponord
I'm not sure the OP had in mind being laughed at...

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
I'm not sure the OP had in mind being laughed at...
But that, or scorn is most likely to be the end result.
There are a couple of cars which "pop & bang" and drive through my village; I have yet to come across anyone who has anything good to say about them.
Interestingly I get the "thumbs up" for the exhaust note of my modified MGA & MGB GT V8, probably because I trickle through the village, only accelerating when out of the houses & speed limit.
NJSS

SpikyMikey

Car
S204 2013
Over a grand for each of those systems & they still sound synthesised. 30 quid will get you one of these, which sounds just as good imo ;)

Love it 😁 My humble C180 could become a Monaro instantly and all without hacking off the neighbours and frightening small children and dogs.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
I do not agree with unecessairly mocking people.

The only useful couple of posts on this thread have been by Gollom (who has hit the nail on the head) and E55BOF.

Give the OP a break as he now is no longer interested in this modification after Gollom's useful input.

Flash

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercs
I do not agree with unecessairly mocking people.

The only useful couple of posts on this thread have been by Gollom (who has hit the nail on the head) and E55BOF.

Give the OP a break as he now is no longer interested in this modification after Gollom's useful input.

Sorry, I also meant Doodle's response in Post #5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom