MB accept S205 rejection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Well after 6 months of ownership, several visits to the dealer with no fix found I had little choice left but to exercise my right under sale of goods act that the car supplied was not to satisfactory quality.

I was advised this morning that MB and supplying dealer accepted my position and have agreed to exchange the vehicle.

So now do I order another one or opt for something different?? (I do like the GLC)

Well done. That's a tall order getting a rejection accepted after 6 months.

You must have had a fair few issues to get that put through.

Red C220 said:
Well done. That's a tall order getting a rejection accepted after 6 months. You must have had a fair few issues to get that put through.

Thanks Red.

Not easy and not something I've done before or like to do......

That's a real shame Jay. Maybe it was just a bad one? My Sept 2015 C220d AMG Premium Plus estate has been perfect so far...there isn't anything I'd rather have. Maybe a new Jaguar XF R Sport although the interior is a little boring and there's no estate

What were your issues please Jay? I've had numerous fixes on my W205, none of which have worked. Is 13 months on now.....

mgooda said:
What were your issues please Jay? I've had numerous fixes on my W205, none of which have worked. Is 13 months on now.....

The car is riddled with electrical gremlins:

- collision mitigation triggering on random occasions and applying the brakes
- EML light comes on putting the car in limp mode
- command unit random shutting down or freezing making the heater controls useless
- onboard systems such as Adaptive lights, traffic sign assist saying inoperative
- tyre pressure system warning is constant being triggered saying I have a flat tyre, on pressing ok the message comes back saying it's now a different tyre that's flat.

Other items include:

- pano roof creaking
- rear seats rattling when locked in position
- drivers air vent buzzing/rattling
- Comand screen creaking and buzzing
- both front door panels creaking when the windows are closed

It's a lovely car and I will miss the spec that I gave, however the car build quality does not live up to the premium brand or the price tag.

I have a meeting with the dealer to sort out a new car, not sure if to go same again or a new GLC or go a bit mad and pick up a
Used C63?

Difficult one. After much soul searching, we came to the conclusion that it is unlikely we will be buying anymore MB vehicles unless they we used (and out of warranty) and they would be looked after by an independent during our ownership.

All credit to you for getting MB to take an active role but it is their complacency and outright avoidance of issues that has made us question the marque and what it stands for….we have encountered a few and there are many who have posted on here about issues that have not been dealt with without a fight.

Too often, issues with a dealer, reported to MB, are passed back to the dealer to sort and the cycle goes on; this has been reported many times on this forum in my short time here. We also don't like the lack of dealer network; every dealer (or chain) is an entity in itself and if they don't behave or provide poor service, there is no choice but to find another dealer elsewhere because MB pass the issue to the dealer…..

You've had a good result, this time; the real question is, should this situation arise again, would you be so lucky when dealing with MB? I say lucky because that is what it comes down to rather than open, up front and honest MB policy. Just a few thoughts.

The car is riddled with electrical gremlins:

- collision mitigation triggering on random occasions and applying the brakes
- EML light comes on putting the car in limp mode
- command unit random shutting down or freezing making the heater controls useless
- onboard systems such as Adaptive lights, traffic sign assist saying inoperative
- tyre pressure system warning is constant being triggered saying I have a flat tyre, on pressing ok the message comes back saying it's now a different tyre that's flat.

Other items include:

- pano roof creaking
- rear seats rattling when locked in position
- drivers air vent buzzing/rattling
- Comand screen creaking and buzzing
- both front door panels creaking when the windows are closed

It's a lovely car and I will miss the spec that I gave, however the car build quality does not live up to the premium brand or the price tag.

I have a meeting with the dealer to sort out a new car, not sure if to go same again or a new GLC or go a bit mad and pick up a
Used C63?

Clearly a car built when they had new apprentices around!

Sad on a brand new car, mine is 4 months old and starting to see the faults others mention. So far:

Command shut down ( everything is taken out!! )

Rear passenger led door handle exterior fail

Creaking rattle from both front door cards ( better since went in, only one is making slight noise every now and then ).

Door seals rubbing with body flex, lubed I think and so far so good

Replacement fuel filler flap

Front discs and pads have been changed due to really noisy!! still not fixed, claim put through to Milton Keynes technical department for resolution.

So far thats it, just highly annoying!!

My car is a 15 plate Merc C220 amg line premium plus, saloon. w205, with 4000 miles on. Dissapointed having been my first time away from BMW, love the car, but its being let down with quality issues.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Dissapointed having been my first time away from BMW, love the car, but its being let down with quality issues.

While the issues described in this thread are clearly disappointing and hopefully exceptional - BMW are IMO and IME a step down from MB in terms of quality.

The fanboys of both marques tend not to admit to problems - but my feeling is that BMW get away with more than MB. I don't think they stand behind their product to the same extent - and their customer service is brazen and patronising about well known problems. Our Z4 ownership has been interesting in that regard - not in a good way. It's unlikely that it will be replaced by another BMW.

My experience with BMW and MB dealers has been pretty good.

BMW impressed me when they reimbursed me for injectors and coil packs fitted by an indie.

They had failed to tell me about a recall for said items and, on request, did the recall plus the above refund.

kjb1 said:
Sad on a brand new car, mine is 4 months old and starting to see the faults others mention. So far: Command shut down ( everything is taken out!! ) Rear passenger led door handle exterior fail Creaking rattle from both front door cards ( better since went in, only one is making slight noise every now and then ). Door seals rubbing with body flex, lubed I think and so far so good Replacement fuel filler flap Front discs and pads have been changed due to really noisy!! still not fixed, claim put through to Milton Keynes technical department for resolution. So far thats it, just highly annoying!! My car is a 15 plate Merc C220 amg line premium plus, saloon. w205, with 4000 miles on. Dissapointed having been my first time away from BMW, love the car, but its being let down with quality issues. Sent from my iPhone

Sounds like you have some similar faults. I think over the 6 months of ownership the car has spent a good 4 - 5 weeks in the dealer, far too many visits and every time a 40 mile round trip.

I would agree with above I've been lucky to get the car taken back. A recent visit uncovered the technician have a derogatory conversation to another about the car and me..... Unfortunately for them the dash cam was recording on several occasions.

In fairness it's water under the bridge now, give them the opportunity to right the wrong and move forward.

A recent visit uncovered the technician have a derogatory conversation to another about the car and me..... Unfortunately for them the dash cam was recording on several occasions.

They have derogatory conversations about everything that's put in front of them, so don't feel "abused" too much.

:)

E270 Owner said:
They have derogatory conversations about everything that's put in front of them, so don't feel "abused" too much. :)

Haha fair one!

While the issues described in this thread are clearly disappointing and hopefully exceptional - BMW are IMO and IME a step down from MB in terms of quality.

That's really surprised me. I've always been led to believe that BMW's build quality is bullet proof. I've got friends with various brands and the BMW owners seem the happiest.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, it is just a surprise to hear.

It'd be interesting to read through a BMW forum to see if there's similar issues with the current BMW 3 Series interior.

Incidentally we've had our B Class 180d Sport now for just over 3 years and not had 1 issue. We're more than happy with everything so far. Although the w205 is admittedly a more more complex motor.

I personally hope you go for another w205 with same spec. If it's a factory order the it would be a MY2016 or later? Surely any faults would be ironed out by now. There's many a happy 205 MY2016 owner on here. I think you've been really unlucky.

Mind you, if you can, a C63 would make you Happy. :bannana:

Ant

You have to feel sorry for the person that buys your bargain "MB Approved" lemon. I rather doubt the dealer will advertise your car as being rejected by its previous owner. Would be rather nice if such cars were "flagged up" in much the same way as accident damaged vehicles. As a six month old car it is not exactly going to be a cheap motor guv!

You have to feel sorry for the person that buys your bargain "MB Approved" lemon. I rather doubt the dealer will advertise your car as being rejected by its previous owner. Would be rather nice if such cars were "flagged up" in much the same way as accident damaged vehicles. As a six month old car it is not exactly going to be a cheap motor guv!

That's a great point. It should be 'tagged' by law like a CAT D car.

I'd always assumed rejected cars get taken back to base for inspection and a lesson on how not to build a car. Or is that my blinkered vision of the car world?

Ant.

I've rejected a couple of used MB's in the past - they were both back up for sale within a couple of days...............

Happytalk73 said:
That's a great point. It should be 'tagged' by law like a CAT D car. I'd always assumed rejected cars get taken back to base for inspection and a lesson on how not to build a car. Or is that my blinkered vision of the car world? Ant.

I'm pretty sure this motor will be straight back on the dealership forecourt.

My W204 and the wife's A Class were and are spot on, just a real shame this car has issues.

I may opt for another S205 but I kind of like the chrome on the front and silver trim around the vents, all of which I believe has now gone on the MY16 cars?

The alternative so far is either a GLC in the same guise or if there is un allocated stock I may be tempted with CLS350 shootingbrake but it would need to have a fair few toys.

Again option of a w204 C63 will not be ruled out and a new unit is out of my budget I think. That said I really couldn't do without the new LED intelligent lights, there brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom