MB accept S205 rejection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I didn't know what a Vauxhall Mokka was so I googled it, looks like a baby 4x4, harmless enough, but mine for £140 a month on some sort of lease/pcp thing.

There must be people who spend more that that a month on takeaways or vodka, how can any of the manufacturers be making any money "selling" cars like this?

Bit of a weird lifestyle when all your belongings are borrowed and paid for by monthly subscription?

Very true.

However, as bad as the Mokka was, I'd rather have it for £140 pm than takeaways or Vodka. What a horrible thought. :crazy:

Ant.

Bit of a weird lifestyle when all your belongings are borrowed and paid for by monthly subscription?

Weird to you but quite normal to very large percentage of the population, to a degree that you maybe becoming the minority.

It's not always about not being able to afford the item either, sometimes it's convenience, sometimes it's actually a cheaper way to buy it, sometimes it's nothing more than a preference.

I buy my cars, I prefer it, but my business partner leases despite not needing to, he prefers the monthly subscription, it suits his mindset. He's a millionaire so it's nothing to do with affordability. He doesn't really care if he "owns" the car or not as long as it's on his drive and he's driving it.

I prefer to own my cars.

Is one right and the other wrong?

Just out of interest, how do you measure build quality?

It's something that is often quoted but I've never heard a definition.

I'd say squeaks, rattles and stuff falling off, how about you?

I'd say there's actual - as in the measurement of NVH caused by lack of structural integrity and poorly performing trim.

And perceived - how a car makes you feel on entering it, or viewing shut lines from the 3 quarter.

Plus I suppose some intangible brand snob value telling you that you are looking at or driving a quality car.

Very true.

However, as bad as the Mokka was, I'd rather have it for £140 pm than takeaways or Vodka. What a horrible thought. :crazy:

Ant.

£140 on vodka Ant? Hope it's the good stuff.

You could use the Mokka for going down the takeaway.

Nah, got my transit van & trailer for that. :D

Nothing better than going to KFC drive through with trailer and saying "fill er up," :bannana:

Ant.

I didn't know what a Vauxhall Mokka was so I googled it, looks like a baby 4x4, harmless enough, but mine for £140 a month on some sort of lease/pcp thing.

There must be people who spend more that that a month on takeaways or vodka, how can any of the manufacturers be making any money "selling" cars like this?

How come?

Most people get paid monthly.

I'm sure it suits many people, just seems so temporary, nation of nothing men.

Most people get paid weakly...(see what I did there)...:p

I'm not in disagreement with either of you, it suits me for someone else to look after my next car for the first three yours since registration, especially with those nice low mileage restrictions on lease deals.

However, I also see the benefit of having everything on a monthly subscription, mortgage, car, utilities, comms, TV and so on - makes for easy budgeting for the feckless.

I'm not in disagreement with either of you, it suits me for someone else to look after my next car for the first three yours since registration, especially with those nice low mileage restrictions on lease deals.

Supposedly the cars coming off rental are becoming a bit of a problem, too many of them to find homes for, when everyone wants a new one for £140 a month.

I have one of the last pre facelift 212's. Quality is excellent. Car has done 58k miles in 2 1/2 years with no issues and is still rattle free. That's more than I can say for company cars from Audi, BMW and Volvo I have had previously.

I bought into the PCP idea when I "proved" to myself that it was hardly any more expensive than the last 2 or 3 cars we had owned (taking into account depreciation & out of warranty repair costs). I did have to screw the MB dealer hard to get the deal I thought I wanted.
However, coming to the end of that deal the suggestion that the car would have some residual value to put down on the next car has evaporated. Cars like ours are retailing on main dealer forecourts for up to £2000 less than the final payment due on ours. So for the main dealer to take it as a trade in we would heve to also put £4000ish in the main dealers pocket.
Our only option is to therefore hand the car back on the given day, after paying to refurb a couple of alloys and probably replace 1 or 2 tyres.
I think after this experiment, I prefer to own my cars, then I can chose more easily when I want to replace them.

I bought into the PCP idea when I "proved" to myself that it was hardly any more expensive than the last 2 or 3 cars we had owned (taking into account depreciation & out of warranty repair costs). I did have to screw the MB dealer hard to get the deal I thought I wanted.
However, coming to the end of that deal the suggestion that the car would have some residual value to put down on the next car has evaporated. Cars like ours are retailing on main dealer forecourts for up to £2000 less than the final payment due on ours. So for the main dealer to take it as a trade in we would heve to also put £4000ish in the main dealers pocket.
Our only option is to therefore hand the car back on the given day, after paying to refurb a couple of alloys and probably replace 1 or 2 tyres.
I think after this experiment, I prefer to own my cars, then I can chose more easily when I want to replace them.

I assume that you were told that there would be some equity to be used as deposit when the deal ended, this is why I believe that the car financing idustry must be better regulated.

I assume that you were told that there would be some equity to be used as deposit when the deal ended, this is why I believe that the car financing idustry must be better regulated.

Don't think we were specifically told that we would, but the generalisations were that we would be back for another new car after 3 years, trading in with them.
In the back of current price list (and no doubt on their web site) Agility Finance is described with a bar chart - the first part is "deposit" the second part is "monthly payments" and the third part is described as "choice of options; own, return or part exchange" Whilst we can legally make those choices, financially we would be foolish to do anything other than return the car.
We went into main dealer a few months ago to ask about delivery times for a new one - ie when did we need to place an order if we were "buying" new again. Of course they want to sit you down and do a deal. Speced a new car and they quoted over £200 more per month than we are currently paying. I asked them to break that down. £7000 of the new finance was to get out of our current car:eek: They did try to hide £5250 of that with smoke & mirrors though.
And so the ball rolls on.........
We also asked about used, again telling them of our preferred spec & price and that we were happy to buy any time before the SLK goes back. They checked online & said nothing of that spec available (I was after Deep Sea Blue/Silk Beige interior) and so rare that I would be unlikely to ever get one. So we relaxed the spec and asked them to call us when one came in. One came in a couple of weeks ago - did they call? did they feck.

Conversly, brother in law changes his more frequently than I do, each time on a pcp type deal and most frequently a nearly new car. And each time in his mind the finance is related to the previous car, like "I only had to put down £500 and I'm only paying an extra £25 per month.........." The scheme suits him

I queried the final value of ours when the deal was done, based on the value of 3 year old SLK's at the time - I was assured that residual values on the new model were going to be really strong.

I would have liked some equity to use as the deposit for the next car, but I haven't lost out as the deal at the time was good. MB finance are the real loosers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom