MB baby seats...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBVC

Car
CLS
Hi all, I'm new on here and looking for some advice.

We are expecting our first child and will be buying the MB baby seat due to the airbag/transponder issue. What I am struggling to find out is if the baby seat is compatible with any pushchairs? ie can it be taken out of the car and clipped straight on to a pushchair, or will we have to swap the baby from the car seat to the pushchair?

I think I read somewhere that Britax manufacture the MB seat but I can't find any info on their website.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just gone through the whole process.

Depends on how new your car is, but I would strongly recommend:

Maxi Cosi Pebble baby seat Buy Maxi-Cosi Pebble Infant Carrier, Total Black online at JohnLewis.com
Maxi Cosi Isofix base Buy Maxi-Cosi FamilyFix Car Seat Base online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

Once the base is in place connected to the isofix fittings its really easy to take in and out. The base is also really easy to swap into other cars with isofix. If the 'other' car doesn't have isofix the Pebble baby seat can still be connected using seatbelts.

Also the MaxiCosi stuff will fit with nearly all (that I know of) buggy's / travel systems (as they are called!). We've got a Bugaboo Chameleon and it's a doddle to transfer her from the car straight into the buggy.

This will only last until your baby is 4-5 months and then it's easier to transfer the baby straight from the car seat to the buggy.

Also note that the Pebble car seat lasts until they are 9-12 months and then you need to upgrade the seat to the Pearl which will last until they are 4 years old.

I had a look a the Mercedes seats and they are ok for 4 years+ but not below. It's so much easier to use Maxi Cosi as you can easily get the attachments for nearly every buggy etc.

Just gone through the whole process.

Depends on how new your car is, but I would strongly recommend:

Maxi Cosi Pebble baby seat Buy Maxi-Cosi Pebble Infant Carrier, Total Black online at JohnLewis.com
Maxi Cosi Isofix base Buy Maxi-Cosi FamilyFix Car Seat Base online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

Once the base is in place connected to the isofix fittings its really easy to take in and out. The base is also really easy to swap into other cars with isofix. If the 'other' car doesn't have isofix the Pebble baby seat can still be connected using seatbelts.

Also the MaxiCosi stuff will fit with nearly all (that I know of) buggy's / travel systems (as they are called!). We've got a Bugaboo Chameleon and it's a doddle to transfer her from the car straight into the buggy.

This will only last until your baby is 4-5 months and then it's easier to transfer the baby straight from the car seat to the buggy.

Also note that the Pebble car seat lasts until they are 9-12 months and then you need to upgrade the seat to the Pearl which will last until they are 4 years old.

I had a look a the Mercedes seats and they are ok for 4 years+ but not below. It's so much easier to use Maxi Cosi as you can easily get the attachments for nearly every buggy etc.

but this is no good in the front as the airbag wont be deactivated...the other option is to buy a used MB baby seat and take out the transponders and leave them under the seat when in use. This will deactivate the airbag and you can use the above advice.

Last edited:
Maxi Cosi all day long.

A WHICH best buy.

MB one is just over priced Tat!

I think the MB one is Britax BabySafe. We bought the Britax as part of this travel system:
Buy your Britax B-Smart 3 Travel System - Neon Black Including Pack 7 reviews from Kiddicare Travel Systems| Online baby shop | Nursery Equipment

When we bought it (just over a year ago) it was rated as the safest by Which. I'd recommend it although the wheels for the travel system are big. I think Britax make smaller ones which might be worth a look. Now my son is in a forward facing seat we've ditched the travel system as bought a smaller stroller to save on boot space.

Do you need to use the seat in the front? If you'll use it in the back I don't think you need one with the transponder.

EDIT: Whichever seat you buy, make sure it has an Isofix base so you can easily lift it in and out of the car.

Last edited:
Hi MBVC. I have a genuine Mercedes transponder which will deactivate your passenger airbag. I attached it to the recaro baby seats I had in my cars. You are more than welcome to it. I paid a member £80 for it , you can have it for £70.

Buy the maxicosy and their get either transponders or have your passenger airbag disabled.

Or more importantly dont use it in the front... all that happens is the baby get more sun in their eyes via the windscreen and then doesnt sleep / gets uncomfortable.

You will be amazed how much better they travel when small with tints/ privacy / sun protection glass in the back.

Buy the maxicosy and their get either transponders or have your passenger airbag disabled.

Or more importantly dont use it in the front... all that happens is the baby get more sun in their eyes via the windscreen and then doesnt sleep / gets uncomfortable.

You will be amazed how much better they travel when small with tints/ privacy / sun protection glass in the back.

dont think this matters as the baby faces the seat not the windscreen.

The Sun never shines at the rear of his car! :rolleyes:

Safest seat in car is the one behind the front passenger .. put the baby there - you have a 4 door car so easy enough.

I also found that if the baby was in the front, the driver spent too much time looking at the baby rather than the road :)

Richard

Thank you all for your responses they have been very useful. Isofix has been mentioned but I don't have Isofix fixings on the front passenger seat, and the car seat I need is the reverse facing child seat for a new born which we want to carry in the front.

Ted, thanks for the link I didn't realise that was an option.
HB, thanks for the offer I will contact you if I want to take you up on it.

Final question - If I were to buy a transponder how do I know it has deactivated the airbag? Is there a light on the dash?

Thanks again.

Thank you all for your responses they have been very useful. Isofix has been mentioned but I don't have Isofix fixings on the front passenger seat, and the car seat I need is the reverse facing child seat for a new born which we want to carry in the front.

Ted, thanks for the link I didn't realise that was an option.
HB, thanks for the offer I will contact you if I want to take you up on it.

Final question - If I were to buy a transponder how do I know it has deactivated the airbag? Is there a light on the dash?

Thanks again.
It will light up the the "button" which says Passenger Airbag Off"

In both our 211's the presence of a (maxi cosi) car seat has deactivated the passenger air bag without the need for additional transponders. Whilst the back may be safer, if you are one up in a car with a crying baby that needs a bottle, the passenger seat may be more practicable (although I'm not suggesting anyone should feed a baby on the move).

In both our 211's the presence of a (maxi cosi) car seat has deactivated the passenger air bag without the need for additional transponders.

Ian, I am *very* surprised by this - and I know that side of the electronics well as I added the child-seat detection mat to my last W164, and the transponder is needed - so either the Maxi Cosi has the transponders ... or possibly you have the USA weight sensing system (which looks at the weight of the passenger and decides how much airbag they need in an accident !!) - which I don't know that well as i've only seen it once.

How do you know the airbag is off ? I am asking explicitly because I am concerned that the airbag is not off ...

Richard

It will light up the the "button" which says Passenger Airbag Off"

And, most importantly, the yellow light will stay on. It lights up briefly (or maybe constantly) before the engine starts as part of the self-test.

R

Thanks again guys!

I think transponders will be our chosen option. At least then we can buy a full 'travel system'.

And, most importantly, the yellow light will stay on. It lights up briefly (or maybe constantly) before the engine starts as part of the self-test.

R

This is how we know - the airbag off light is lit whilst driving. I did think it was weight sensing as when our almost 5 year old is in the front it doesn't light yet does with our 3 year old (in same seat) and 6 month old (rear facing seat).

How could we be sure we have weight sensing over transponder?

This is how we know - the airbag off light is lit whilst driving. I did think it was weight sensing as when our almost 5 year old is in the front it doesn't light yet does with our 3 year old (in same seat) and 6 month old (rear facing seat).

How could we be sure we have weight sensing over transponder?

With a transponder the light comes on with just the (light) weight of the baby seat.
Pretty sure it will also illuminate if you hold the baby/child seat an inch above the seat squab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom