MB badge sensor wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill24

Car
A180
Recenlty had my front badge and sensor stolen off A Class 180, have got replacements but no indication of correct wiring to six pin plug as they cut the wire and I cannot find anywhere - first post so hopefully someone has fixed a similar issue - MB garage quoted over £1000 to replace with work

Distronic?

Yes Distronic, should add as warning for others in brum area over 30 stolen in the last month - YouTube video shows how easy it is for thieves to remove

Ah! Behind the grille, I was thinking of the badge on the bonnet.

I thought that my radar unit was further back, but maybe that's the problem with the "flat" front end of the newer models?

Ah! Behind the grille, I was thinking of the badge on the bonnet.

I thought that my radar unit was further back, but maybe that's the problem with the "flat" front end of the newer models?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow, that’s way too easy.

Wow, that’s way too easy.
^What he said.

On the CLK the sensor is mounted to the slam panel, so you'd either need to open the bonnet or take the whole grille out. - I thought it was in a similar position in other models too, but mounting it to the emblem seems like it's asking for it.

What use is a radar sensor to someone? Is it just something to sell on eBay, or are they useful for something else (like breaking in to garages)?

^What he said.

On the CLK the sensor is mounted to the slam panel, so you'd either need to open the bonnet or take the whole grille out. - I thought it was in a similar position in other models too, but mounting it to the emblem seems like it's asking for it.

What use is a radar sensor to someone? Is it just something to sell on eBay, or are they useful for something else (like breaking in to garages)?
Verminous scum have been stealing MB badges since the 'Beastie Boys' started the craze in the 80s

Anyone having alarms from this sensor which appear for no reason (car driving on straight road with nothing ahead). Dashboard warning reset after stopping and starting but is becoming annoying

Friend whose a geek for the police says the sensors are being used by drug gangs, as it’s quite easy to rig them into a perimeter alarm system and expand the distance if you know what you doing

If you manage to replace the components then how are you going to stop the scumbags from doing it again.? Nuts and bolts around the Star perhaps, or would they just crowbar it out. Would the proximity sensor work if the Star was covered over with some heavy duty perspex and more nuts and bolts to secure the perspex. Taser style power unit attached to the Star with a single thick copper wire around the the Star?? 50,000 volts may stop them, and if it kills them.... then there is yet another mystery death.

Steve

Friend whose a geek for the police says the sensors are being used by drug gangs, as it’s quite easy to rig them into a perimeter alarm system and expand the distance if you know what you doing

I know some Star Badges are vented and some not, but how do the thieving scumbags know the difference? Or is it the Badge that they are after and the Sensor and wiring come away with it?

I have noticed that Vauxhall Grill Badges are also becoming noticeable by their absence! :eek:

I know some Star Badges are vented and some not, but how do the thieving scumbags know the difference? Or is it the Badge that they are after and the Sensor and wiring come away with it?

So is it a simple case of the solid shiny ones having Distronic, while the mesh grille ones don't?

So is it a simple case of the solid shiny ones having Distronic, while the mesh grille ones don't?
Yes. The solid (shiny) emblem is there to protect the distronic sensor; no sensor means no need to protect it and a mesh grille.

Did the E-class get a naff square of black plastic behind the grille at one stage?

Yes. The solid (shiny) emblem is there to protect the distronic sensor; no sensor means no need to protect it and a mesh grille.

Did the E-class get a naff square of black plastic behind the grille at one stage?

Not true, my A Class had the solid (shiny) emblem (some sort of composite) but didn't have Distronic! :oops:

Not true, my A Class had the solid (shiny) emblem (some sort of composite) but didn't have Distronic! :oops:
Had it been replaced by someone?

Admittedly I didn't look for the A-class because I wasn't sure which model it would be, but for the CLK the mesh star says "not for option 219 proximity cruise control" in the online parts guide I was looking at.
Distronic example: Mercedes-Benz Stern Grill ART Distronic C215 CL C209 CLK A2158880086 | eBay
Non-distronic example: Genuine Mercedes-Benz Silver Radiator Grille Star Badge Emblem A2158880186 NEW | eBay

A W176 without distronic should have this grille star: MERCEDES A CLASS W176 2013>2015 Front Grille Badge Support Without Distronic Cru | eBay

Last edited:
Had it been replaced by someone?

Admittedly I didn't look for the A-class because I wasn't sure which model it would be, but for the CLK the mesh star says "not for option 219 proximity cruise control" in the online parts guide I was looking at.
Distronic example: Mercedes-Benz Stern Grill ART Distronic C215 CL C209 CLK A2158880086 | eBay
Non-distronic example: Genuine Mercedes-Benz Silver Radiator Grille Star Badge Emblem A2158880186 NEW | eBay

A W176 without distronic should have this grille star: MERCEDES A CLASS W176 2013>2015 Front Grille Badge Support Without Distronic Cru | eBay

I bought the A Class new, I knew it didn't have Distronic as an extra, it was a 2014 (64) and as far as I can recall none of the A Class Range had the Vented/Mesh Emblem until the 2015? Facelift. o_O

Bill

Send me the VIN - i'll check if parts are available and let you know costs. We have the tool to crimp the connectors properly etc etc - use contact form on www.comand.co.uk. A photo of the damage would be useful (try and estimate how much they chopped off)

I suspect Mercedes are expecting to replace the whole loom from there back to Distronic etc which may not be necessary

There can be Distronic and Collision Avoidance sensors behind there

Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom