MB Bike Rack doesn't fit MB Roof Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Hi All,

Last year I bought some new old stock MB roof-mounted bike racks. I already have a set of MB roof rack bars and an MB roofbox.

Over the weekend I tried fitting the bike racks to my MB roof rack bars and had two problems;

- I couldn't get them on as the lugs are a couple of mmm's too wide to fit the roof rack bars
- I only had two lugs (I need four in total)

These lugs are detachable - they are attached by 6mm Allen bolts.

I can work out the correct width that the lugs should be tonight as I can measure the with of the locating strips on the underside of the roofbox (these strips are the correct width as they fit snugly).

So.....does anyone knw of where I can buy new (correct) lugs? Maybe there is a fitting kit? Maybe these are industry-standard things that all roof rack manufacturers use?

An ideas/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

The MB roof accessories certainly used to be made by Thule - maybe they can help , or Thule accessories stocked by Halfords might be what you need ?

Looked at the Thule website - they certainly look like very similar products.

I'll do some measuring tonight and then call a Thule agent to see if can't track down the parts.

I've got a wife and kids looking forward to some family cycling in Richmond Park and all that's standing between in between is a lack of four very small mounting lugs.

Will an m8 nut slide up the grooves? or if no joy a piece of 6mm steel drilled and tapped to suit.

Lynall

Will an m8 nut slide up the grooves? or if no joy a piece of 6mm steel drilled and tapped to suit.

Lynall

Hi there - I should be able to work from home for part of the day tomorrow and I'll measure up the width of the locating flanges on the roof box.

Then I need to buy (or have fabricated) some lugs of the same width for the bike rack bars.

I'd rather buy something as (a) it's more straightforward and (b) I'll know that they are strong enough !

The MB roof accessories certainly used to be made by Thule - maybe they can help , or Thule accessories stocked by Halfords might be what you need ?

I called a Thule supplier and he reckons they didn't do the Merc systems.

Looks like I'll need to drop into a Haldfords and see if the stuff they stock has similar mounting systems.

Failing that I'll have to get the two lugs I've got machined down a couple of mm and get a couple more fabricated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom