MB Brand Advocacy - Number 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Interesting note picked up from the automotive world. Guess it sparks some debates around current MB quality issues......

I've kicked around some thoughts among automotive collegues in the office - aspirational brand image and not wanting to own up to problems with your car, wanting to emphasise the positives, forked out loads of dosh, etc.

What's your view........?

NOP World has announced that Mercedes, BMW and Toyota are the world's most advocated brands according to its 2004 Global Advocacy Study of 43 companies that queried over 30,000 consumers across 30 countries. Over half of the customer base of these companies is classified as "active brand advocates," individuals so passionate about a particular brand that they are likely to help spread the word about its benefits and recommend its products.

The study identified the commitment of customers to each brand using NOP World's Advocacy Multiplier(TM) tool, which segments consumers into four categories (active brand advocates, brand committed, fulfilled and indifferent) based on how close they feel to the brand.

With 59 percent of its customers falling into the category of "active brand advocates," Mercedes was identified as the advocacy leader. Following are the 10 most advocated brands according to the study:

* Mercedes ..................................................... 59%
* BMW .......................................................... 53%
* Toyota ....................................................... 51%
* Nokia ........................................................ 50%
* Sony ......................................................... 46%
* Estee Lauder ................................................. 43%
* Lancome ...................................................... 43%
* Clinique ..................................................... 42%
* Ford ......................................................... 41%
* Nike ......................................................... 38%

"There is increasing evidence that not every consumer is created equal," said Tim Wragg, global director of NOP World's Customer Management Center of Excellence. "Through the identification of active advocates, organisations can develop highly tailored marketing initiatives aimed at those most likely to spread the message and regularly say good things about the brand. In an increasingly splintered marketplace where the impact of advertising is faltering, companies can no longer afford to overlook the word-of-mouth potential that this segment offers."

The 2004 Global Advocacy Study is based on further analysis of the NOP World Roper Reports Worldwide(TM) survey using the company's Advocacy Multiplier(TM) segmentation tool. The Worldwide survey covered 43 brands and includes in-depth personal interviews with over 30,000 13- to 65- year-olds across thirty countries. The brands were drawn from NOP World's Power Brand list, which is compiled annually using internationally-recognised barometers of brand prominence.

I can certainly agree with Mercedes being on top, and BMW second.
Not sure about Toyota though....or Ford..

Surely Rolls Royce, Bentley, Porsche, Ferrari would rank higher?..anyway...

/EDIT hmm survey only covers 43 brands.. no wonder.

Toyota: oh yes.

May be a bit boring but on the whole mechanical reliabilty & basic functionality is very high. That is what the majority people primarily want and need out of a car.

(Yes, I also have a Toyota. A politically incorrect, socially unacceptable, sight blocking, road hogging Land Cruiser. Which in the view of Ken Livingstone I drive around in laughing madly whilst the mangled remains of pedestrians and cyclists trail behind.)

At least that evil duo Coca Cola and McDonalds aren't up there with the brand icons, which is where many people seem to think they should be. I am not one of them.

And yes, I suppose I am a brand advocate for Mercedes, despite the recent bother with rust they are still superb cars to drive and own. Having said all that, a Mazda MX5 has so far been way ahead of any of the other umpteen-odd cars I've owned over the years in terms of reliability, but I guess its only aspirational if you aspire to drive a cheap sports car that's immense fun and surprisingly well screwed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom