MB Brent Park experience!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
As some of you may know, I have been looking at purchasing a used ML350 (W166) for SWMBO. After several searches, I located one which fit the bill as closely as possible (all seem to be standard and very little in the way of optional extras). This was at MB Brent Park, in Neasden, NW London. Spoke to a chap on the telephone, who was absolutely spot on, answered all my questions, as I explained to him I was approximately 250 miles away, so would like every single detail of the car, marks, scratches, scuffs etc, no matter how minor he may think they are. I even got the VIN number and posted it on here to get the datacard, from fellow forum members. Having liked what I heard, I paid my deposit and made my way down with my good lady wife.
Arrived there approximately 10:30 to find the car parked outside the showroom, appeared to have been cleaned, tyres dress etc. A warm introduction followed by a cup of coffee I felt very positive. The owner of the garage showed me to the car and we walked around it, well the bit we could as it was parked quite close to a kerb side with a hedge, making it awkward to walk round let alone open the NS doors!
I asked to be left alone to look around the vehicle. It was about this time, it started to go down hill!
The drivers side running board at the front, looked like someone had taken an orbital grinder/sander to it, placed it face down and left it there to work its magic. It was extremely heavily swirl marked, to the point it would have needed replacing, or living with the marks (which I wouldn't).
There appeared to be a dried water mark on the alcantara, of the drivers seat base.
Heated seats had been retro fitted and the install was not good, the operating switch was on the side of the seat base, NOT on the dash as to make it look OEM (as some companies offer using OEM switches wiring looms etc). The switch looked like something out of Maplins!
There was a hairline scratch on the rear drivers door continuing onto the rear quarter panel (admittedly not deep and may have polished out). Also when opening this door, several 'scuff' marks in the wheel arch (again these may have polished out).
The same door area when closed, inline with the door handle, there was approx a 5 mm deep blemish/gouge/scratch, call it what you may, which had become rusty in colour!!
Front passenger door card housing near the speaker was heavily scuffed/gouged, had chunks missing out if the card!
The seat panel where the operating switches were, was not fixed (admittedly this could have been secured by pushing it back into place possibly).
Front N/S alloy had chunks of metal missing, gouges out of it, oppose to it just being scratched!
Car hadn't been cleaned properly, tar spots all over the wheel arches, hadn't been hoovered beneath mats, dash not cleaned etc, (bearing in mind I was a cash paying customer who was coming to finalise things and drive the car away),

At this point, I had seen enough and decided to leave the car alone, didn't bother driving it forward to inspect the passenger side properly let alone take it for a test drive! Went inside and was asked for my thoughts. Tried to be diplomatic by telling the owner he had done himself a massive disservice. When I began to list things, he insisted I show him around the car and point them out, which I did so. TBH he made me feel like I was being over critical and the marks were just 'wear & tear' as the car was used!
(Worth pointing out, this is a 1 owner vehicle, 21.5K miles, priced at £32.5K with absolutely NO movement on the price whatsoever!)
All the marks I pointed out were met by 'that will polish out', 'that can be touched up' and that the car is in excellent condition.
I explained to the chap that, although it may not be a significant amount of money to him (judging by the massive amount of MBs parked there), it was to us and the car had to be right. He made no attempt to try and come to any sort of deal but instead just kept defending his viewpoint. Feeling very disappointed and somewhat angry at the fact I was in constant contact for over a week via phone & email reiterating my point of the cars condition, he failed to mention all but one of the aforementioned points.
I was told one of the wheels had light curb marks approx 1/2" in length (this turned out to be inaccurate aswell!)

Having my deposit returned my wife and I left, without even an offer to the local tube station! So when I asked 'is there any chance of a lift?', 'we literally have another appointment coming in' was the reply we were met with.
So off to kings cross we went to buy train tickets for the journey home, the train instead of the ML we had hoped for!
Actually sat on the train as I type this!

It does beg the questions, am I being unreasonable?
Expectations to high?

Apologies if it feels like a rant, just wanted to share my experience. Shame really, as they seemed really nice guys with a decent set up and a very high turn over of stock, so they must be doing something right! I am genuinely gutted it wasn't what I expected, apart from my time wasted and extortionate travel costs, it had strengthened my distrust of car sales people! Would I recommend them...... with caution!

Given the constant positive comms between you and the garage they should have picked up quite easily your expectations and standards.

No apologies required for an understandable rant. I have intended to spend far less (lets say 90% less!!) and walked away from other peoples "minters"

Settle down and enjoy the journey home. Give us a wave as you power through Preston.

If they were totally inflexible on the price you have every right to be inflexible on the standards you set.
Sorry to hear you didn't get to drive home that must be disappointing, but of you drove that home you'd still be disappointed and £32k worse off..

A trader will always talk a vehicle up as to be fair he is trying to sell it....stonechips, light scuffs etc come with buying used, general rule is if you cant feel a scratch or get your nail into a groove then it will generally polish out...

I have been in your situation quite a few times both private and trade sellers were the car has not been as good as the pics and comments suggest and have left disappointed, be thankful they returned your deposit as this can be hard work sometimes...

One thing for sure is that whatever your expectations you need to be happy before you part with your hard earned....note their was probably no movement on the price as you had already paid and committed a deposit, if it does not go don't be surprised to receive a call in a few weeks with a revised price!...it may be worthwhile in future setting a travel limit...

Last edited:
"I feel your pain!!"
You are 100% in the right to point out the shortcomings, especially on a big bucks purchase. I live on the Isle of Wight, where not much in the way of "good stuff" is available. I have to go to the mainland, ferry ticket £45-60 return, plus petrol, to see somebody's "mint condition" car. I recently examined an SLK that had old grease and dirt completely covering the differential and rear underbody. Salesman called out his mechanic.."Oh, that's just a bit of overflow when we greased it." Oh yeah.
Another wasted trip.
Hope you have better luck and closer to home.

Having my deposit returned my wife and I left, without even an offer to the local tube station! So when I asked 'is there any chance of a lift?', 'we literally have another appointment coming in' was the reply we were met with.

Very short-sighted of the dealer. After all, you're still looking to buy a car, and they've just stopped you looking at any of their stock in the future…

I have seen other people on here offer to have a look if local, might be worth asking next time you spot one that involves a long distance journey as I am sure someone nearer could have an initial look for you ?

That's really good advice and is definitely something I would consider in the future...:thumb:

I have seen other people on here offer to have a look if local, might be worth asking next time you spot one that involves a long distance journey as I am sure someone nearer could have an initial look for you ?

if i were potentially making a 30k sale; i would have the car detailed and looking perfect.
you are right to walk away... I'm sorry you travelled all that distance!

This sort of behaviour has been mentioned before. The dealers nowadays don't seem to prep the car and certainly don't seem to rectify any faults UNLESS the buyer points them out which is no good if you have travelled miles to buy it on their description! The irony is that if you were part exchanging (or returning after personal hire) that very car, ALL those faults would have been very relevant and the prices adjusted accordingly.

If no-one on here is available to give the next one a once over, make it absolutely clear on the phone that if all isn't as advertised you will be expecting a lift back to the station.

This sort of behaviour has put me off travelling far to see a car.

I was looking to buy a BMW 530 a few years ago, I was not looking for a particularly high specification but I wanted memory seats with heated leather, Xenon lights and Sat nav. I found a suitable car around 120 miles away at a dealer and spent some time on the 'phone going over the car's history and condition.

On arrival I opened the door to find manual seats but with the door cards for a car with electric seats, under the bonnet the car " owned from new by a retired Gentleman" had cheap aftermarket Xenon lights fitted with Scotchlocks along with other non-standard wiring, out of curiosity I drove it and there was a significant low speed hesitation " No problem, it just needs a few miles to clear it's lungs!"

The dealer offered to buy second-hand seats from eBay and get his mechanic to fit them.

He could not understand why I declined his offer and left!

Unfortunately living away from larger cities where the main concentration of 2nd hand cars are does mean you have to travel and trust what the dealer and/or advert tells you. Was going to buy a E350 CDi last week and the deal was done over phone, day before collection I had email saying they had found a minute crack in engine that was seeping oil, took that on face value but car still being advertised! So did dealer suddenly realise that he was giving £2k more than anyone else and wanted a way out?
Still saved me a 190 mile trip and with my suspicious mind the company has lost a customer now and in the future.

I feel sorry for you, but you did absolutely the right thing and taught that dealer a lesson. Good luck in your search for a new ML. Hopefully it will not take long before you find a better one even closer to home.

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to all you folks for taking the time to read my post and sharing your thoughts and experiences. No that I have arrived home safe and well, red mist cleared, and have had time to reflect, I am completely satisfied I made the right decision to walk away.
Thank you once again and a very good evening to you all.

The search continues....

I think if you were spending £1500 on it, I would accept it not being perfect at all.

Spending 20 times that means it should be mint.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest though.

I don't no how soon you want to buy a W166, but I will be selling mine as soon as the facelift appears which I think is in the Spring. Mine is in Silver with Black Sport pack 21" wheels and approx 10k of extras. Done 17k miles and is in excellent conditionyes, the side steps are suffed but they are ment to be stood on, couple of wheel scuffs and a small amount of corrosion on 2 of the wheels but we all know that AMG wheels suffer from corrosion. Otherwise the car is totally mint no scuffs or scratches. I am very particular about my cars and so is my wife as she will not let me in it unless she vacs it out first.
If you are interested email me at [email protected]

I can in some way understand why the dealer wouldn't tell you all the problems with the car hoping that you would take it anyway and he keeps his profit ,but after everything you had said to him of what you expected he must not of have any respect for you. I know that I would of been in a very hostile place of mind, how dare he treat you that way. I hope you have better luck soon.

All the marks I pointed out were met by 'that will polish out', 'that can be touched up' and that the car is in excellent condition.

If it was that easy, they should have done all the work BEFORE putting it up for sale, let alone before you travelled all that way to get there.

I used to work for a fairly small private prestige/sports car dealer who always fully prepared every car before they went onto the forecourt. Absolutely nothing was overlooked.

I once had to deal with a letter from MB's solicitor in Germany that threatened legal action because we had the three-pointed star logo on our website and on a display board at the front of the garage (along with the likes of Porsche, BMW, Jaguar, etc). They said that only their registered dealers could use their logo because "they insisted on the highest standards"! Someone needs to check on those standards. (We decided that their legal people were probably better funded than ours so removed the logos instead of arguing. I replaced them with cropped photos from an S-Class bonnet, that just happened to have the pointed star on it - we got another letter! Once again, money became the better part of valour, so no more MB or any other marque logos. We just consoled ourselves with the knowledge that the massive Daimler AG in Stuttgart took so much interest in a little Hampshire garage.)

I'm sorry - I think the OP has been treated very shoddily.

I think it would be well worth a letter to the MD of Mercedes (Simon Oldfield - See below) and copied into the Dealer Principal of Brent Park. I'd ask if this is how MB treats their customers, as it would be good to know if this is a close escape.... The thing that really stands out to me is not dropping them back to the tube.

A non-advance ticket back up North ain't cheap either.

Mercedes-Benz UK
Mr Simon Oldfield Managing Director
Email [email protected]
Website http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk
Postal Address Delaware Drive, Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 9BA, UKM

+1, I think as a minimum you should send an email to the Dealer principal...might be worth mentioning the running live threads on both UK MB forums...

I'm sorry - I think the OP has been treated very shoddily.

I think it would be well worth a letter to the MD of Mercedes (Simon Oldfield - See below) and copied into the Dealer Principal of Brent Park. I'd ask if this is how MB treats their customers, as it would be good to know if this is a close escape.... The thing that really stands out to me is not dropping them back to the tube.

A non-advance ticket back up North ain't cheap either.

Mercedes-Benz UK
Mr Simon Oldfield Managing Director
Email [email protected]
Website Mercedes-Benz UK - New and Used Cars
Postal Address Delaware Drive, Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 9BA, UKM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom