MB C Class W204 Estate in tank fuel pump/sender.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

explorer121

Car
W204 C220 CDi estate Blue Efficiency
sender.JPG Good evening,
been trying to cure a strange gurgling, syphoning noise from diesel tank. It happens when you switch on ignition and it sounds like air or a gurgling noise. Have replaced the in tank pump but the noise remains. There is no pressure from releasing the cap either. I notice behind the passenger side is another unit which I assume is the sender unit but also has two pipes rising from the top. Can anyone tell me it's purpose and function etc ?
Thanking in advance.

Mercedes-Benz-C-Kl-W204-200CDI-Kraftstoffpumpe-Tankgeber-A2044700594-_57.jpg

This help? Mercedes Benz C-Kl W204 200CDI Kraftstoffpumpe Tankgeber A2044700594 A2044700694 • EUR 84,95 I believe there's a transfer function between the two sides of the tank

ALSO

FUEL TANK WITH ATTACHMENT PARTS MERCEDES C 220 CDI (204208)
getImage.php

^^^as per the first picture the sender on the right also includes a pump, the fuel pickup is on the left along with the second sender.

85 euros for the part!

Mercedes wanted nearly 900 quid to replace both senders on my w204.

Thanks Guys all really helpful. I suspect the transfer system is playing up as it's trying to prime the pump and eventually does after a lot of gurgling and syphoning noises, '30sec.

View attachment 77296 Good evening,
been trying to cure a strange gurgling, syphoning noise from diesel tank. It happens when you switch on ignition and it sounds like air or a gurgling noise. Have replaced the in tank pump but the noise remains. There is no pressure from releasing the cap either. I notice behind the passenger side is another unit which I assume is the sender unit but also has two pipes rising from the top. Can anyone tell me it's purpose and function etc ?
Thanking in advance.

Hello Mate, Mercedes have usually saddle fuel tank. The fuel intake side have the Fuel pump under the rear seat and the other side has the sending unit. Fuel pump pumps the fuel to the sending unit and sending unit pushed it to the fuel assembly to the front of the car via fuel filter. The other pipe connecting the sending unit and fuel pump is for overflow fuel which comes back to the fuel pump side of the tank. The two pipes you mentioned are intake and overflow pipes, Sending unit use the intake pipe to send fuel to the system via fuel filter and overflow pipe is used to bring the excess fuel back to the system. If you want to replace the pump for any reason, i would suggest to replace the sending unit as well, reason being both units have the fuel gauge and computer takes the reading from both units and take a average value and feed that to the fuel level display unit. If age of both units are different then fuel gauge reading may not be correct.

I hope it helps.

Hello Mate, Mercedes have usually saddle fuel tank. The fuel intake side have the Fuel pump under the rear seat and the other side has the sending unit. Fuel pump pumps the fuel to the sending unit and sending unit pushed it to the fuel assembly to the front of the car via fuel filter. The other pipe connecting the sending unit and fuel pump is for overflow fuel which comes back to the fuel pump side of the tank. The two pipes you mentioned are intake and overflow pipes, Sending unit use the intake pipe to send fuel to the system via fuel filter and overflow pipe is used to bring the excess fuel back to the system. If you want to replace the pump for any reason, i would suggest to replace the sending unit as well, reason being both units have the fuel gauge and computer takes the reading from both units and take a average value and feed that to the fuel level display unit. If age of both units are different then fuel gauge reading may not be correct.

I hope it helps.
That's brilliant thank you so much. Still trying to find the fault as you switch on ignition you hear a gurgling and rushing noise as if there is air in the pipe. Have replaced pump but no joy as yet. Worried there may be too much of a back flow.

That's brilliant thank you so much. Still trying to find the fault as you switch on ignition you hear a gurgling and rushing noise as if there is air in the pipe. Have replaced pump but no joy as yet. Worried there may be too much of a back flow.

Did you check if there is settled impurities at the bottom of the tank ? Over the year a lot of impurities settles down and usually the fuel pump suck the fuel from its bottom opening so the sound may be because of that OR. There may be a leakage in the transfer pipes between the fuel pump and sending unit and while the pump is pumping the fuel, the high pressure fuel leaking from the pipe/pipes makes that noise may be. I don't see any other thing in the fuel assembly otherwise. I am assuming fuel pump is fitted properly and its not loose, may be vibrations when it kick in make that noise. You can also take the back seat off, take the fuel pump cover off and then switch on the ignition and listen to the noise if its coming from the fuel pump side or sending unit side. Make sure you are at a quiet place in order to listen to the noise clearly. Thanks

Did you check if there is settled impurities at the bottom of the tank ? Over the year a lot of impurities settles down and usually the fuel pump suck the fuel from its bottom opening so the sound may be because of that OR. There may be a leakage in the transfer pipes between the fuel pump and sending unit and while the pump is pumping the fuel, the high pressure fuel leaking from the pipe/pipes makes that noise may be. I don't see any other thing in the fuel assembly otherwise. I am assuming fuel pump is fitted properly and its not loose, may be vibrations when it kick in make that noise. You can also take the back seat off, take the fuel pump cover off and then switch on the ignition and listen to the noise if its coming from the fuel pump side or sending unit side. Make sure you are at a quiet place in order to listen to the noise clearly. Thanks
Thank you. Have read this with great interest and will be spending the weekend checking through these points as I now have a greater understanding of the functions of both sender units, thanks again.

Thank you. Have read this with great interest and will be spending the weekend checking through these points as I now have a greater understanding of the functions of both sender units, thanks again.
NO worries my friend

NO worries my friend
Hi Yasir,
just a quick question as you seem to have the knowledge in this area. Is it possible that the return to the tank via the sender from the front of the car is too much ? I say this because if you fit a clear pipe to the top of the fuel sender unit and blow I can make the same noise, bubbling gurgling.
Many thanks.

You may also wish to read this thread?
[SOLVED] - Fuel supply problem - W203 220 cdi

It may be "saddle tank syndrome"

US06907899-20050621-D00000.png

described here
saddle tank syndrome!

some more info here
Wayback Machine

The diagram above is slightly misleading [ its back to front in the mercedes tank] but I include it simply to explain the venturi pumping effect which transfers fuel from one side of a saddle tank to the other. The "venturi effect" is often seen in carburettors where a flow of air through a narrowed pipe causes a drop in pressure and sucks fuel from the jet to form the air/fuel mix. Here its used to move fuel from one side of the tank to the other. Fuel returning from the engine flows past a venturi causing a lowering of pressure enough to suck fuel from one side of the tank to the other.

Last edited:
You may also wish to read this thread?
[SOLVED] - Fuel supply problem - W203 220 cdi

It may be "saddle tank syndrome"

US06907899-20050621-D00000.png

described here
saddle tank syndrome!

some more info here
Wayback Machine

The diagram above is slightly misleading [ its back to front in the mercedes tank] but I include it simply to explain the venturi pumping effect which transfers fuel from one side of a saddle tank to the other. The "venturi effect" is often seen in carburettors where a flow of air through a narrowed pipe causes a drop in pressure and sucks fuel from the jet to form the air/fuel mix. Here its used to move fuel from one side of the tank to the other. Fuel returning from the engine flows past a venturi causing a lowering of pressure enough to suck fuel from one side of the tank to the other.
Hello,
thank you for some very interesting reading and detailed diagrams. I wish in some ways it was the 'syndrome' but I have no unbalanced tank as indeed the fuel equalises its self without a problem. The car runs fine but it just has this syphoning gushing and gurgling noise constantly in the tank and to make matters worse the small high pressure turbo now has started playing up by not boosting when starting off but after a few hundred yards and revs off it goes and boost is normal. My weekends are plagued with trying to sort the darn thing out but avoiding the main dealers at the same time, thanking you again.

Hi Yasir,
just a quick question as you seem to have the knowledge in this area. Is it possible that the return to the tank via the sender from the front of the car is too much ? I say this because if you fit a clear pipe to the top of the fuel sender unit and blow I can make the same noise, bubbling gurgling.
Many thanks.

Hello, I am not an expert, i just sorted out my fuel pump myself and fitted the new fuel pump and sending unit. I am not sure if the return flow can be too high. There is a uniform pressure from fuel filter onward so its worth checking your fuel filter as well. I cant think of the blockage in the system as it will reduce the flow rather than increasing the pressure to make that sound. Thanks

Just bought an endoscope so I can actually see what's going on in the tank !

Having lived with this problem for a month, changed in-tank pump and sender twice, checked everything I know and still no further forward. You turn the ignition on (without starting the car) and this noise from the tank, whooshing, gurgling and syphoning starts as it is priming !
I think I am the only one in the world with a tank that makes this noise.
Fixed the vacuum leak on the small turbo which was just a split pipe.

I would suggest to take out the pump, keep it connected with the sending units through the pipes and then switch on the ignition to see what makes this noise, is it the pump or something in the tank. I cant think of anything else as fuel assembly in the fuel tank is not as complicated as its sounds. Thanks

Hello, i am new to the forum!

I can help you guys sort the issue.
The fuel pump it's not faulty.
I had this issue on a w212 om651 with fuel pump making a noise like a phone when vibrating and the same issue on a w204 om651 gurgling noise.

You have to check all the wiring from fuel feed system. Check the 2 fuel pump controllers under the rear seat.

Check the connection to the fuel rail pressure sensor!!!
The conection to the fuel filter sensor!!!
The fault might not disappear until you erase it from your cars computer.

Not all diagnostic tools can read this fault.

Hello, i am new to the forum!

I can help you guys sort the issue.
The fuel pump it's not faulty.
I had this issue on a w212 om651 with fuel pump making a noise like a phone when vibrating and the same issue on a w204 om651 gurgling noise.

You have to check all the wiring from fuel feed system. Check the 2 fuel pump controllers under the rear seat.

Check the connection to the fuel rail pressure sensor!!!
The conection to the fuel filter sensor!!!
The fault might not disappear until you erase it from your cars computer.

Not all diagnostic tools can read this fault.
Hi,
thanks for that. I agree it's not the pump but when I replaced the leak off pipes (complete)set the noise disappeared. I don't know why but after month's of frustration all is quiet and I'm living with it ! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom