MB C250 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When you do it you'll wish you did it sooner .

Easy 5 min job .

Get it on a ramp somewhere and closely inspect the rear subframe ( especially around brackets and mounts).
Ask me how I know!

Hi again,

So I went for a look at the car this afternoon. Bodywork and interior is immaculate. No signs of any leaks or stains from leaks around the engine under the covering panels.

I can hear 'some' noise from the rear of the engine, but to me it sounds the same as you hear on a motorbike engine with chain driven cams. Just the sound of gears spinning with the chain. Doesn't sound like a rattle. Should there by any noise at all from that area?

There's a noise from the power steering on full lock that sounds like an electric motor whirring, some sort of disengaging/slipping when it can't turn any more?

Cheers.

Also, does the C250 CDI have different size tyres front and back?

225/35ZR18
225/40ZR18

Also, does the C250 CDI have different size tyres front and back?

225/35ZR18
225/40ZR18

That depends on the trim level, the 'sporty' variants had staggered wheels (wider wheels at the rear), great for posing, but not so great if you belive in tyre rotation :D

That said, for some reason the majority of MB C-Class sold in the UK are Sport or Sport AMG Line, so if you're after the softly-sprung Executive with the higher suspension and smaller wheels (I was), then you'll have to keep looking.... ;)

That depends on the trim level, the 'sporty' variants had staggered wheels (wider wheels at the rear), great for posing, but not so great if you belive in tyre rotation :D

That said, for some reason the majority of MB C-Class sold in the UK are Sport or Sport AMG Line, so if you're after the softly-sprung Executive with the higher suspension and smaller wheels (I was), then you'll have to keep looking.... ;)
It has the AMG 18" wheels.

yes there will be some noise at the back there are 4 or 5 large gears driving various parts of the engine and a small chain running the cam. sounds pretty normal. A failing cam chain or tensioner can only be heard at start up and its a clack clack clack sounds from the rear of the engine. Chances are that there is nothing wrong, it sounds fine from your description, they dont all suffer from chain wear. And yes mine moans a lot on full steering lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom