MB change extended warranty rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjcodex

Car
S350 W222 SL55 AMG
Hi all

I am very disappointed to report that MB have to introduced an age limit on their extended warranties. Swines!

I have always kept my SL under warranty and latest letter advises me that warranty cannot be renewed due to car age (must be 10 years or under now).

Very frustrating as they have always been one of the better manufacturers for this.

To all those with older cars under warranty i suggest your undertake a thorough inspection and maximise any claims whilst you still can!

With my SL55 that should not be difficult!!!!!!!

Sucks

Out of interest how has the cost of a warranty fared vs the cost of repairs?

MB paid approximately £8.5k this year in repairs but that was probably exceptional (new supercharger as well as the suspension pump and a few other bits)

Generally it was the peace of mind I liked as we know the SL can be a little fragile

I cheer myself up with the knowledge that most of SL issues have been done on my car, but I will miss it!

Likewise here. Roughly £3k with the C207...mostly in labour with the Air-Con. They also replaced the oilcooler...did the belt at the same time, driveshaft oil seal, and a new alternator.
The CL600 BT cost them a great deal more.
Still have the Tier 1 on the E500...C207.

Answers above on payout but not relative to the cost of warranty? Not meaning to be facetious but is akin to a gambler only telling you about those times when the horse he backed came in.

Warranties are just another form of insurance policy and those who calculate the premiums collectively need to ensure that they pay out less than they collect since business is about making a profit. And that's after overheads such as admin costs and staff wages have been accounted for. Obviously they have revisited the calculation and further factored in a car's age.

OP mentions peace of mind which is what you are actually buying with the product.

The 1st 12 months is in the cost of car purchased under the approved used.
The 2nd year for the CL was £1000 plus change.
The 2nd year for the E500 C207 was £1200, in my case well worth it for the peace of mind, and money saved.

Reactions: Tan
The 1st 12 months is in the cost of car purchased under the approved used.
The 2nd year for the CL was £1000 plus change.
The 2nd year for the E500 C207 was £1200, in my case well worth it for the peace of mind, and money saved.

People claim more than they put in and there’s you answer!, that’s why they are doing it

People claim more than they put in and there’s you answer!, that’s why they are doing it

Not everybody though. there must be many who don't claim for warranties to be offered at any price point. I suspect they don't offer them at an overall loss, doesn't make good business sense. Unless it is an attempt to keep cars in the Mercedes network and acts as a loss leader.

Just looking at this as mine Tier 1 expires next month.

This is on a 2102 4.7 biTurbo E500 Cabrio. Car has only done 24,000 miles to date.

I bought the car at 4.5 years old with 12,000 miles on it & full MBSH.

First year of extended warranty cost me £930
Second year was £650
Have been quoted £499 of this coming year.

I note that I no longer get MOT failure cover and it only covers for 60 days use on mainland Europe now.

I think £499 is worth it for peace of mind.

Had my E500 (w211) on tier 1 for 6 years at about £1000 pa. Claims over the period totalled around £2100. So big profit for insurance company. Yes you do it for peace of mind. Stopped when it passed 100k and could only have tier2. Now sold and no warranty on the cls55 which I have had for three years .

Just looked at warranty from Mercedes for my R231 SL500, for one year = £1850, or for two years =£3650! Think I'll give it a miss......

They have definitely sussed the AMG uplift haven’t they.

To be fair I have only had this one for a couple of years so they have perversely prevented me from getting back to break even on their behalf (in that they have spent a lot and I would have continued to renew and eventually it wouldn’t have likely evened out).

I always liked the peace of mind, but as several have stated if you add it up over a long period of time it can be a harder decision.

Just realising how much the 2 year T1 warranty was worth when I bought my used SLK in February.
I estimated about £1k a year at the time, obviously worth much more now

Hi all

I am very disappointed to report that MB have to introduced an age limit on their extended warranties. Swines!

I have always kept my SL under warranty and latest letter advises me that warranty cannot be renewed due to car age (must be 10 years or under now).

Very frustrating as they have always been one of the better manufacturers for this.

To all those with older cars under warranty i suggest your undertake a thorough inspection and maximise any claims whilst you still can!

With my SL55 that should not be difficult!!!!!!!

Sucks
Explains the notice I rec'd for my CLK 280, 2007. "Your car is too old and or has too much mileage" It has full a MBSH, has only done 60,000 & had Tier 1 warranty cover it's whole life, so very disappointing from a customer satisfaction perspective. Apart from banking the money any other suggestions from a peace of mind perspective, any other decent warranty providers out there?

It's a shame that Tesco no longer offer car warranties, I raped their policy on my S class back in 2008.

Explains the notice I rec'd for my CLK 280, 2007. "Your car is too old and or has too much mileage" It has full a MBSH, has only done 60,000 & had Tier 1 warranty cover it's whole life, so very disappointing from a customer satisfaction perspective. Apart from banking the money any other suggestions from a peace of mind perspective, any other decent warranty providers out there?

I think the maximum is 12 years (most companies state 10 years)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom