MB change extended warranty rules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Explains the notice I rec'd for my CLK 280, 2007. "Your car is too old and or has too much mileage" It has full a MBSH, has only done 60,000 & had Tier 1 warranty cover it's whole life, so very disappointing from a customer satisfaction perspective. Apart from banking the money any other suggestions from a peace of mind perspective, any other decent warranty providers out there?

Yup,
That’s the exact same situation as mine.
2007 CLK63 AMG with 33,000 miles.
Took the tier 1 policy as soon as the factory warranty expired.

I, too, am pretty disappointed with their decision.
Especially considering the condition and low mileage of mine.

If I do the maths, I have paid more over the years than I’ve got back on claims.
I’d say 60/40 in their favour, or there abouts.

There have been times when I have pushed them to carry out work when they weren’t really willing, mostly because “computer says no” :)rolleyes:), but I pushed them and got results.

Reactions: AJV
Not sure why not sure why anyone would expect to continue to be able to insure an old car against it eventually needing repairs for an unlimited time. I was surprised that at over 6 years old I got 2 years warranty when I bought my AMG from MB. At over 10 years old I do not expect to be able to get a warranty that I would be able to enjoy with a newer car.
A warranty is simply a bet that you will end up paying less than the cost of eventual repairs. Mercedes obviously have decided that this is not business risk they wish to take and that they would prefer you bought a new (er ) Mercedes instead.
Mind you it could just be that I have too low expectations!

I believe that Mercedes outsource the used car warranty to a third party. Clearly the cost of underwriting the older vehicles has prevented it from being viable which is understandable.

Doesn’t make it suck less though!!!!!

On the bright side, if you were to religiously place the money that you would have paid into an account for warranty renewal, it would soften most bills

Reactions: AJV
There are no longer tier 1, 2 or 3 covers with various excesses as in previous years. MB offer one price that is equivalent to a tier 1 with no excess. The only thing that has been removed is the breakdown recovery. But as you have to have your car serviced by MB as part of the conditions, you have this cover anyway.

My quote to extend the existing Approved Used warranty for a 2015 E250 cdi cabriolet was £490 for one year and £950 for two. I wasn't asked what the mileage was, and when a queried why, I was told it doesn't matter under the new scheme, unless it's over 120,000.

Didn't think the price quoted was too bad at all.

There are no longer tier 1, 2 or 3 covers with various excesses as in previous years. MB offer one price that is equivalent to a tier 1 with no excess. The only thing that has been removed is the breakdown recovery. But as you have to have your car serviced by MB as part of the conditions, you have this cover anyway.

My quote to extend the existing Approved Used warranty for a 2015 E250 cdi cabriolet was £490 for one year and £950 for two. I wasn't asked what the mileage was, and when a queried why, I was told it doesn't matter under the new scheme, unless it's over 120,000.

Sounds jolly reasonable to me.

I just got a quote on our family car, and it was £2,875 for 12 months!

They will no longer do older cars no matter what the mileage or if has a full service history at MB

Our resident MB salesman is conspicuous by his absence on this thread.

Yup,
That’s the exact same situation as mine.
2007 CLK63 AMG with 33,000 miles.
Took the tier 1 policy as soon as the factory warranty expired.

I, too, am pretty disappointed with their decision.
Especially considering the condition and low mileage of mine.

If I do the maths, I have paid more over the years than I’ve got back on claims.
I’d say 60/40 in their favour, or there abouts.

There have been times when I have pushed them to carry out work when they weren’t really willing, mostly because “computer says no” :)rolleyes:), but I pushed them and got results.

Looks like you either bank the money you'd have paid for warranty cover and use it when you get a gremlin pop up, in my case the airbag sensor, which has been changed 5 times or you take your chances and do nothing or find a 3rd party, like Warranty Direct or something similar.

I was hoping to return the vehicle after 30 years as it does say that provided they service it for that period you've nothing to worry about.

I'm obviously a believer of Ad land!!

Interesting, I don't think I'll bother when my current Merc falls out of the manufacturers warranty.

They will no longer do older cars no matter what the mileage or if has a full service history at MB
So much for the longevity and the best or nothing mottos. Think I may have to consider the other Swabian manufacturer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom