MB Colindale Bodywork service- my rant!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MB Colindale is becoming much worse than the 'Direct' low cost outlets

I bought a merc from Cargiant, and they were fine with faults that developed within the 30 warranty period.

Hi Nav,

I think the mistake made here is you should have never taken the car back after the shoddy repair.

I had near enough the same issues both with M&A and also another one of the bodyshops in Kent, and on both occasions, when the car was returned , whilst the driver was there, I refused to take the car back and I refused to return the courtesy car so they had no choice but to take it away.

This happened several times.

I know how you feel......especially when your car comes back with more damage than it originally had.

Its an absolute disgrace - get a letter out to the MD of MB straight away, and make a big complaint about this.

Also to be honest, this should have gone beyond the dealer. MB have a nationwide bodywork manager that looks after all of these bodywork issues and associated complaints. That manager carries a lot more weight than the dealership.

Hope it all works out, but I seriously think that you should be dealing with this problem with the higher powers, rather than the dealership.

Thats what I did, and thats how I eventually overcame months of problems.

I kicked up such a big stink about the poor workmanship on mine and also the damage to the vehicle, that I have been told in future, if there are any issues that I need sorting out, to contact the bodywork Manager directly and they will personally oversee any problems that I may have.

Last edited:
Mb Direct Park Royal's Poor Service On Parking Sensors

I PURCHASED CAR FROM MERCEDES DIRECT IN APRIL 2008. IT BECAME A NIGHTMARE FOR ME. FIRSTLY, I DIDN'T RECEIVE ANY SERVICE BOOK WITH IT AND TOLD THAT IT WILL BE SENT SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR SERVICE STAMP. IT HAS BEEN OVER A MONTH NOW AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR IT. I CALLED THEM AND ASKED ABOUT SERVICE BOOK BUT THEY SAID IT HAS BEEN LOST IN THE POST AND THEY WILL HAVE TO ISSUE A DUPLICATE ONE.:mad: SECOND STORY: I ASKED FOR PARKING SENSORS, QOUTED £499 FOR THAT. THEY BOOKED MY CAR IN FOR THAT. AFTER FITTING THE PARKING SENSORS WHEN I CHECKED IT THERE, I REALIZED THAT THEY WEREN'T ORIGINAL MERCEDES AND THE GUYS WHO FITTED IT, THEY WEREN'T EVEN MERCS EMPLOYEES. BASICALLY I GOT RIPPED OFF THERE, THEY WERE THOSE PARKING SENSORS THAT I COULD'VE HAVE THEM FITTED FROM HALFORDS FOR £199. I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE JOB DONE BY MERCEDES PARK ROYAL (NORTH CIRCULAR ROAD ONE). I ADVISE ANYONE WHO WANTS TO HAVE PARKING SENSORS FITTED IN THEIR CAR, PLEASE GO TO HALFORDS. YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PARKING SENSORS FOR £300 CHEAPER THEN WHAT YOU WOULD PAY MERCEDES. VERY POOR SERVICE AND ATTITUDE. THEY NEED CONFILICT MANAGEMENT TRAINING.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used MB Brentford, who have an onsite body shop. They are completely on the ball and very professional. Highly Recommended.

MB in brentford are funny. I explicitly told them about the items in my armrest and that i wanted to find them there when i got back, and when i picked up the car my sunglasses were missing, and the service manager had to drive round to the workshop only to tell me "sir it was here all along", so i was like "Have you actually got the ordasity to call me blind?" and she didnt reply, and i left. I'm seriously contemplating servicing the car MYSELf from now on :(

I have used MB Brentford, who have an onsite body shop. They are completely on the ball and very professional. Highly Recommended.

My experience with them is quite different. To me they are the most useless MB dealership I have ever come across. I will never again set foot in their premises.

Perhaps when they were cleaning their paint rollers they got their emulsions mixed up with the gloss paints !!!

From owning other cars in the past ie VW I recall that the garages can only do services and part replacements and they rely on external body / paint shops to do the non service type of work such as accident damage, dents, resprays etc.

In theory you should be shouting and screaming at MB rather than the body shop as the contract is between those parties rather than you direct with the body shop.

Lots of letters and written corespondance, duplicate copies to local MB garage and MB HQ via registered post is the way forward, forget emails and telephone calls as they are less effective in these types of issues.

Also take photos of the work that is done as a picture says a 1000 words !!

Good luck !!

My experience with them is quite different. To me they are the most useless MB dealership I have ever come across. I will never again set foot in their premises.

I have to agree; my car went back four times to be painted properly. That was 2 years ago, so I'd like to think they've got better...

I took my CLK cabr to MB Colindale when I had reported and requested four items of repair to be carried out.
Upon delivery there was a thorough inspection carried out by an employee of the dealership and any defects were noted.

When dealing with Gavin Taylor at the dealership, one of the issues was that there was a battery drain which had to be investigated. However, the mechanic found that the glove compartment box was stiff when previously I had absolutely no issues with it. This was then, unbeknown to me forced open and the latch as a result got damaged. When vehicle was returned I was shocked and horrified to see the glove box hanging down and open. Moreover, one of the buttons securing the carpet on the driver floor well was sheared off.

I brought this to the attention of Gavin, who denies any responsibility. The vehicle was delivered with the glove box closed and functioning correctly and since the remote was not functioning (being one of the 4 issues) the central locking would have activated the lock in the glove box; it is clear that this is the reason the mechanic could not open it. I did not at any time authorise MB to forceably open or break it to gain access. I found it insulting that the dealiership did not even have the couresy to inform me that the glove box does not close when the initial inspection revealed a closed glove box and no issues nor did the visual health check.

Other damages are as follows:

1. The floor carpet button is broken and needs to be replaced as the damage has been done by the dealership and I am most unhappy with thr shoddy way that I have been treated.
  2. After heavy rain yesterday and overnight, I noticed that there is water pool of water in the driver side floor and the whole carpet is soaked. As a result of removing linings etc to investigate the cause of the battery drainage it seems the mechanic has failed to reinstate seals allowing the ingress of water.

The dealership has poor customer service, the complimentay tea/coffe area is filthy often with no cups, and when asked for cups, they bring it with the smell of dishwasher fluid. The service team keep customers waiting for unreasonable period of time and in my view they should be closed down.

In view of the above what should I do. Dealer is obviously denying that they are responsible? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Do you have any legal advice cover with anyone - eg. The AA etc?

If you are unhappy with the service level at the dealership, I suggest a polite but firm letter to the Manager, followed by a letter of complaint to MB UK in the event that the first letter did not produce the desired result.

On another note, I am not sure that the initial inspection is relevant - it is mostly regarding the condition of the bodywork and you can't really expect it to find a broken mat button or inoperative glove box - or in other words, the fact that these faults were not detected in the initial inspection is neither here nor there when it comes to the question of whether the faults existed before the car was booked in.

You must write too the top man

-
Dermot Kelly M.D.
DaimlerChrysler UK Ltd.
Tongwell
MK15 8BA Milton Keynes,
Buckinghamshire
Great Britain

Mr Dermot Kelly has retired. Mr Gary Savage is the new MD.

The senior man is, I believe, Mr Wilfried Steffen. If you search for Mr Steffen on the internet you will read his endorsement of Mr Savage (ex Citroen)

Please do not be surprised if your letter is sent to be addressed by MB's legal department who have, I can assure you, considerable experience dealing with dissatisfied customers.:doh:

I took my CLK cabr to MB Colindale when I had reported and requested four items of repair to be carried out.
Upon delivery there was a thorough inspection carried out by an employee of the dealership and any defects were noted.

When dealing with Gavin Taylor at the dealership, one of the issues was that there was a battery drain which had to be investigated. However, the mechanic found that the glove compartment box was stiff when previously I had absolutely no issues with it. This was then, unbeknown to me forced open and the latch as a result got damaged. When vehicle was returned I was shocked and horrified to see the glove box hanging down and open. Moreover, one of the buttons securing the carpet on the driver floor well was sheared off.

I brought this to the attention of Gavin, who denies any responsibility. The vehicle was delivered with the glove box closed and functioning correctly and since the remote was not functioning (being one of the 4 issues) the central locking would have activated the lock in the glove box; it is clear that this is the reason the mechanic could not open it. I did not at any time authorise MB to forceably open or break it to gain access. I found it insulting that the dealiership did not even have the couresy to inform me that the glove box does not close when the initial inspection revealed a closed glove box and no issues nor did the visual health check.

Other damages are as follows:

1. The floor carpet button is broken and needs to be replaced as the damage has been done by the dealership and I am most unhappy with thr shoddy way that I have been treated.
  2. After heavy rain yesterday and overnight, I noticed that there is water pool of water in the driver side floor and the whole carpet is soaked. As a result of removing linings etc to investigate the cause of the battery drainage it seems the mechanic has failed to reinstate seals allowing the ingress of water.

The dealership has poor customer service, the complimentay tea/coffe area is filthy often with no cups, and when asked for cups, they bring it with the smell of dishwasher fluid. The service team keep customers waiting for unreasonable period of time and in my view they should be closed down.

In view of the above what should I do. Dealer is obviously denying that they are responsible? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the world of Mercedes-Benz:fail

My web page will be "live" soon:bannana:

I bought a merc from Cargiant, and they were fine with faults that developed within the 30 warranty period.

I bought several cars from Car Giant... and had no issues - as a no-frills service they are excellent.

Welcome to the world of Mercedes-Benz:fail

My web page will be "live" soon:bannana:

You should post up when it is.

I'd be interested in reading that although I seem to remember reading some of your tale of woe from a post on here.

Just a note: I can't see why the mechanic would remove any seals to check a battery drain.

You should post up when it is.

I'd be interested in reading that although I seem to remember reading some of your tale of woe from a post on here.

I was handicapped on what I was able to write here as I was a guest and there was an application going through the Courts.

My final application was refused by the Appeal court recently which ends my legal fight for justice against Mercedes-Benz.

I am setting up my own web site so that MB's conduct towards me can be seen by all, worldwide:bannana:

I was handicapped on what I was able to write here as I was a guest and there was an application going through the Courts.

My final application was refused by the Appeal court recently which ends my legal fight for justice against Mercedes-Benz.

I am setting up my own web site so that MB's conduct towards me can be seen by all, worldwide:bannana:

Lookng forward to read it, and plug it in where I can.
Got no love for dealers myself :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom