MB corrosion warranty - any info on the terms and conditions of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been sent a copy of the March 2004 MobiloLife brochure. The perforation cover is clearly defined (unlike the 2001 brochure that one owner used to win a small claims case), and excludes surface rust. Having spoken to someone at customer services, who appeared knowledgeable and genuinely didn't seem to be fobbing me off, I'm inclined to think the 50% offer is probably as good as I can get under the circumstances. Not that I think it's right a 7 year old MB car should be rusting like this and there is no come back, but that MB seem to be well covered legally here and could offer 0%.

I also found out that there is nothing at all wrong with my service history as the dealer said MB had claimed. I was told that it was the good history that lead them to offer 50%. MB have also said that my car still qualifies for MobiloLife so I have the breakdown cover stuff.

-g

Just to add to the confusion...

MB's response suggests that the vehicle would have to be continuously serviced by MB in order to qualify.

But a recent promotional pamphlet from my MB dealer offered a service and mentioned renewal of the anti corrosion warranty even if the car was not services by MB dealer up to that point.

Talk about consistency...

Just to add to the confusion...
Talk about consistency...

I think it is consistent. Your dealer would be referring to the MobiloLife scheme. Full MB history now seems to be vital for the goodwill offers that MB makes that are outside the Mobilo scheme.

What is inconsistent is my deal telling me they'd made a mistake and my 50% contribution is in fact 50% more than they told me _after_ I'd given them the go ahead for the arches work! Hmmm

-g

I was offered 70% for rust on my car 2 months ago. It does not have a full MB service history and is over 6 years old. Thats not consistent.

Was Mercedes offering a 30 year rust warranty on these? Im tempted to buy it just to rock up to a dealership and try and put in a claim. I wonder how much it would be to replace the panels on it.

31468013_90c12344d1.jpg

It'd be rejected due to not rusting from the inside out! That's the stock response it seems.

I took the 50% offer for the two rear arches. It turns out that the price they gave me, £160 for my 50%, was wrong - they'd made a mistake and it was far too low. But having emailed me with a precise cost break down I was able to get them to honour the quote after a few heated calls. The job was done very well (not perfect but you have to look very hard to see it's been painted) and the level of customer service was excellent so I'm happy. I chose to leave the tailgate as this was a lot of money for one very tiny blemish.

The experience has been a little frustrating, particularly after the dealer got my hopes up initially re a 100% contribution from MB, but overall I've got a lot of work done for £160 and significantly extended the life of the car.

-g

I did the boot myself. Cut into it with a knife and a screwdriver, used rust converter and touched up. It not perfect but is perfectly reasonable and to know that the rust is dealt with is good.

Just found these photos I took after hacking into the paint work. Need to take some after shots now.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

And the after shots with nothing more than arcol and touch up brush.

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

This is quit an old post but if anyone has got a copy of the corrosion warranty terms, I'd love to see it. I have a problem with wheels corroding from under the lacquer, I am hoping this is covered. See pictures. All 4 wheels at the centre, and there has been no damage.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_1bbec948.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_1bbec948.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_9e53c6fa.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_9e53c6fa.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_13b51e1f.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_13b51e1f.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 8
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_123edef4.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-06 at 14.23.23_123edef4.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 8
This is quit an old post but if anyone has got a copy of the corrosion warranty terms, I'd love to see it. I have a problem with wheels corroding from under the lacquer, I am hoping this is covered. See pictures. All 4 wheels at the centre, and there has been no damage.
Wheels won’t be covered unfortunately.

What is the registration date of your car, where did you buy it from and when? The reason I ask is that if you bought it brand new from a main dealer and it’s still within the manufacturers warranty period, then there may be potential for a goodwill payment.

Wheels won’t be covered unfortunately.

What is the registration date of your car, where did you buy it from and when? The reason I ask is that if you bought it brand new from a main dealer and it’s still within the manufacturers warranty period, then there may be potential for a goodwill payment.

As above. Only chassis and body panels are covered. Attachments are not covered.

Regarding the T&C, I've been Googling for it but couldn't find it. I guess the only way of getting it is by contacting MB UK Customer Services.

Thanks for your reply. I nought it new in 2017. I have spoken to the dealer who actually raised a claim with MB. But MB just went quiet until after 3 months of pursuing them, I wrote to the CEO. I then had response, but the response only mentioned a hood will claim, and the answer was no. One might imagine that somewhere there are terms and conditions for this warranty, it is mentioned in sales information and is therefore contractual. Anyway I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks for your reply. I nought it new in 2017. I have spoken to the dealer who actually raised a claim with MB. But MB just went quiet until after 3 months of pursuing them, I wrote to the CEO. I then had response, but the response only mentioned a hood will claim, and the answer was no. One might imagine that somewhere there are terms and conditions for this warranty, it is mentioned in sales information and is therefore contractual. Anyway I'll let you know if I find anything.

As I said, I would be interested in getting hold of a copy of the anti perforation warranty T&C, however I doubt it's relevant to your specific issue, and your best bet is still pushing for a goodwill contribution (or otherwise just get the wheels refurbished yourself).

Even of they were covered they would need to have corroded from the inside........which cant happen with a wheel.

Hi. Can anyone point me to some info on the terms and conditions of the MB corrosion warranty. I've heard that your car needs a full MB service history to qualify. I've also heard that it needs an annual inspection too. Any pointer gratefully received. -g
Mines is currently in being fixed under 'good will' - not warranty. The fella from service told me they took into consideration the service history, age of the car and mileage. E.g. my car has a full MB history, just rolled over 90k miles and turned ten years old in October 2023.

Edit - It's a subframe replacement I'm referring to.

To be fair lacquer will always suffer on diamond cut wheels at some point, on a six year old car driven year round I would expect to budget for a wheel refurb.

I assume you have had new tyres fitted within this time, as I suspect that’s where the corrosion had started - where the centre caps have been removed and refitted or the balancing locating collar has been used? Or possibly where the wheel bolts have been removed and refitted?

Only takes a small chip or a scrape on the lacquer for moisture to get in!

To be fair lacquer will always suffer on diamond cut wheels at some point, on a six year old car driven year round I would expect to budget for a wheel refurb.

I assume you have had new tyres fitted within this time, as I suspect that’s where the corrosion had started - where the centre caps have been removed and refitted or the balancing locating collar has been used? Or possibly where the wheel bolts have been removed and refitted?

Only takes a small chip or a scrape on the lacquer for moisture to get in!

As above.

The corrosion started around the hub (as can be seen in the photos), and most likely as result of using a screwdriver to remove the centre caps (instead of pushing them out from the inside once the wheel is off). Unfortunately that's typical - had it happen to me as well.

That’s exactly how the wheels on my slc went (same style).
corrosion started at about 18 months old and wheels needed a refurb when I sold it.
Only near the centre by the centre caps which had never been off as far as I’m aware (still on original tyres).
The corrosion was spreading under the lacquer too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom