MB Dealership SMART repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
Just wonder if anyone has experience of MB dealership smart repair services?
I think some of them undertake their own (not sure how I find out which ones do?) and I wondered how they compared price & quality wise with the likes of Chips Away?

Is this for a wheel or body work?

Depends on the dealership – some have their own bays setup where they have a full time contractor working on site where others have a mobile guy that turns up on site when needed. Quality of repair and finish will be down to the experience of the operator.

I can only speak from my own personnel experience here:
I would not use Chips Away ever again. The final finish was crap and he still wanted £150, and this was from a guy who said he had been in the business years.
MB Of Wakefield - had a small scuff repaired on the back of my silver CLS, great job - cost £120.
Repair done to my matt black alloy after tyre fitter chipped the lacquer, great job - cost £35.

Most big dealers will have a few reputable companies they use for all their smart repairs, its much more cost effective than doing the job themsleves. As competition is now so tough, technicians that dont make the grade will soon get the boot!
Get a few quotes, ask to see work if you can - as per usual.

Chips Away are rubbish - used them years back and never again on one of my other Mercs. Only consolation from being involved in a smash afterwards was that the entire off side got a new paint job to mask the Chips Away botch.
Unfortunately, anyone can become a Chips Away franchisee by complying with their upfront fees/van rental costs criteria etc and off course attending a basic few day course! That’s where the experience and skill comes into the equation.

Is this for a wheel or body work?

Depends on the dealership – some have their own bays setup where they have a full time contractor working on site where others have a mobile guy that turns up on site when needed. Quality of repair and finish will be down to the experience of the operator.

Couple scratches prior to end of lease.
I have used ChipsAway before & was pleased but I take your point that quality is, shall we say, variable?

Keen not to spend money on removing scratches only to find that on inspection MBFS tell me repair is not up to standard...!

I think that is very reasonable statement….:)

Another alternative is to find a local decent MB approved body shop and have a word with estimator if willing to do a cash job. If offer a decent saving then use them or failing that use MB dealership. I had this arrangement with a MB approved body shop and they were doing the work for less than half price and were damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom