MB Diesel Engine-615. 2.0l or 2.2l

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackasti

Car
1972 250CE
[FONT=&quot]I bought a 1970 Mercedes 280 CE (Coupe) to obtain a few parts and this was in the engine compartment. I contacted the previous owner, who is a mechanical engineer, who rebuilt this unit but found it underpowered for the coupe and started a rebuild of a 2.8l
He claims to have done less than 100 miles on this rebuilt unit !! and the exterior seems to bear this out. Last run.....

"a-long-time-ago"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Numbers:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the side of the engine block:

6150111801 with the number 9 positioned about half an inch higher to the right. Probably to avoid a moulding..This would make it an 11 digit number sequence.
To the right of this number and lower: 265/74

Front of the cylinder head: 615 518 1101.....the "518" is indistinct.. To the right of this number is 77/4
My limited research indicates that this could be a 2 litre or 2.2 litre.

This engine will probably fit just about any of the Mercedes line-up of the 1960s-70s

The power steering pump, starter motor, alternator, engine mounts and fuel pump are all in place. I also have a box full of linkages and tubes.

It may start when connected to power and fuel, but it may not, so it is sold as may be requiring a degree of mechanical intervention.
You are more than welcome to come and poke it with a spanner/hammer before bidding.
You will need to bring some form of lifting rig and suitable transport if you buy it, I will of course, give a hand.

I should imagine that the component parts (cylinder head, steering pump, fuel pump, torque converter etc) are worth more than the listing price.

As mentioned, I know next to nothing about the mechanics but feel free to bounce simple questions off me:Happy to send pictures[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]email: [email protected]
Good Luck
Colin: 01485570286

PS: I have a shed full of Classic Mercedes parts mainly W114/ W115 Coupe[/FONT]

Sounds like a 2 litre if it's a 615?
How much are you asking?

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding. Been out and about.

I have it listed on Ebay: Item No:272386408517 at £275. Plenty of picture so you should have an idea of what it is. I know nothing about diesels.

If it does not sell I will break it down and dispose of the parts- Cylinderhead, power steering pump, fuel injector pump, block , starter etc and probably double the current listing price but I would rather sell as a complete unit.

Colin: 01485 570286: [email protected]

UPDATE:
Engine has now been properly identified as a 2.2l. 615-917.
I have relisted it on Ebay:
Classic Mercedes Diesel Engine ( 615-917 ) 2.2L. (272441428752)
I had a chat with the previous owner who spent £1500 on a full rebuild and only ran it for 25 miles befor he realised it was'nt the sort of thing to put in a W114 coupe and expect a sporty preformance....although he would have had an inproved mpg!!

???????

Is it sold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom