MB e-class Estate W212 E350d AMG Line - Winter wheels, tyres, and snow chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AllForOneOneforAll

Car
MB e-Class Estate 350d AMG Line
I'm purchasing the above second hand.
The car is fitted with 245/40R18 and 265/35R18 both fitted with PZero runflats - completely unsuitable for winter use with or without snow chains! Snow chains, if they could be fitted, would damage them!

Problem 1) I want to use the smallest diameter wheel possible (to get higher profile tyres and move the snow chains away from the wheel hub), but the dealer can't or won't definitively state what this size is, and tells me that MB UK won't advise.

Problem 2) I want to use skinnier tyres as fat tyres are unusable in slush and snow, and I need room for the snow chains. The dealer has only suggested (no commitment) 245/45R17 from the previous W211 range. The tyres are the same width as those fitted (245). I'm not convinced that this wheel/tyre combination is suitable for the W212, as there doesn't seem to be any extra room for snow chains. In addition the price is £2103.68 for four wheels and tyres!

Problem 3) I want to use the same size wheels and tyres on both axles, but the dealer can't tell me what's possible, even what's suitable, never mind what's approved by MB.

Problem 4) The dealer can't or won't commit to specifying anything to do with snow chains other than mentioning that MB snow chains, which only might be available, are approx £400/wheel.

Problem 5) As everyone (except, it would seem, MB UK and MB Dealers) knows that snow chains damage alloys (especially if they are convex, low profile, etc), I want steel wheels. For some reason these aren't available. While skiing in France etc in previous seasons, I've seen countless cars: Audi, BMW, MB, and VW; with steel wheels and snow chains. Somehow, acquiring these in Europe doesn't seem to be a problem.

So if anyone has any solutions, including perhaps a MB dealer that is based in a European Region (e.g France or Germany) that knows what snow is and how to drive on it, and can supply these items I'd be forever grateful!

P.S. I find it incredible that MB don't provide this sort of information and make things as easy for their customers as possible. It's not just winter driving. The e-Class brochure shows roof bars for the estate roof rails, but yet again MB fails to provide pertinent information such as the maximum load.

Is there nothing on your tyre label to indicate the M+S size for your car?
Look on the door jamb or filler flap.
I used these guys for my winter wheels. Very efficient service:
E-Class W212 | Mercedes-Benz custom wheels & rims | Kunzmann DE
Looking at that link your car would be on 245/45/17.

You don't need snow chains AND winter tyres! Even if you go to the Alps. Just make sure the tyres are Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake Symbol marked. (Most are now).

You must be planning some epic journeys, where are you off to?

Problem 1) I want to use the smallest diameter wheel possible (to get higher profile tyres and move the snow chains away from the wheel hub), but the dealer can't or won't definitively state what this size is, and tells me that MB UK won't advise.

Check your manual booklet as in mine the only options are 17” and 18” wheels. 17” should be 8.0 J x 17 H2 ET48 or 8.5 J x 17 H2. For these wheels the only option are 245/45/17 M+S tyres.

Problem 2) I want to use skinnier tyres as fat tyres are unusable in slush and snow, and I need room for the snow chains. The dealer has only suggested (no commitment) 245/45R17 from the previous W211 range. The tyres are the same width as those fitted (245). I'm not convinced that this wheel/tyre combination is suitable for the W212, as there doesn't seem to be any extra room for snow chains. In addition the price is £2103.68 for four wheels and tyres!

It doesn’t have to be from W211 range, I have 17” factory fitted on my W212 250CDI estate with 245/45 tyres.

Problem 3) I want to use the same size wheels and tyres on both axles, but the dealer can't tell me what's possible, even what's suitable, never mind what's approved by MB.

Mine 17’s wheels and tyres are the same on both axles. Even in a user manual it is approved option. Check your booklet.

Problem 4) The dealer can't or won't commit to specifying anything to do with snow chains other than mentioning that MB snow chains, which only might be available, are approx £400/wheel.

You can use wheel socks if you are worried that chains might damage the wheels. These guys have good range of snow chains http://www.snowchains.com/tyre-search-options

Problem 5) As everyone (except, it would seem, MB UK and MB Dealers) knows that snow chains damage alloys (especially if they are convex, low profile, etc), I want steel wheels. For some reason these aren't available. While skiing in France etc in previous seasons, I've seen countless cars: Audi, BMW, MB, and VW; with steel wheels and snow chains. Somehow, acquiring these in Europe doesn't seem to be a problem.

So if anyone has any solutions, including perhaps a MB dealer that is based in a European Region (e.g France or Germany) that knows what snow is and how to drive on it, and can supply these items I'd be forever grateful!

P.S. I find it incredible that MB don't provide this sort of information and make things as easy for their customers as possible. It's not just winter driving. The e-Class brochure shows roof bars for the estate roof rails, but yet again MB fails to provide pertinent information such as the maximum load.

Maximum roof load is 100kg. I found this information in US pdf manual in small table at the end of book as a missing information. https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2015_E_Sed_Wagon.pdf

First off you can get 16” alloys on a W/S212 - anyone who has a German taxi can confirm that - wether they clear your models brakes is the question.

As for chains and winter tyres? I have used BOTH on similar rear wheel drive 5 series, but never at the same time. I’ve never damaged a set of alloys with chains, even emergency purchase €30 ones (but I travel slow with them in sub 20 mph).

This might interest you:

W212 17" or 19"? Diamond or Alloy?

I think that 16" alloys can be fitted only on 200CDI/220CDI because of smaller disks and calipers on those, but again I might be wrong. :confused:

As has already been said, there's a full table of permitted wheel & tyre combinations in the manual, for both summer and winter fitments. Included are several "same wheel on every corner" options so it won't be a problem running the same tyre all round.
I think that 16" alloys can be fitted only on 200CDI/220CDI because of smaller disks and calipers on those, but again I might be wrong. :confused:
I used to run 16" wheels (same front and rear) over winter on my W212 E350CDI which was in Avantgarde spec. with no issues, but I never did get to the bottom of whether or not they'd fit on a car in Sport trim or whether they'd foul the calipers.

The issue with running chains is not one of risking damaging the alloy rims, but of the chains fouling the wheel arch or other bodywork when used on certain wheel width / offsets. Again, the Owner's Manual tells you what wheel & tyre combinations are unsuitable for snow chains.

I used to run 16" wheels (same front and rear) over winter on my W212 E350CDI which was in Avantgarde spec. with no issues, but I never did get to the bottom of whether or not they'd fit on a car in Sport trim or whether they'd foul the calipers.
Do you remember what was the ET value on those 16" wheels and were those steel or alloy wheels?

Do you remember what was the ET value on those 16" wheels and were those steel or alloy wheels?
They were 8.0 J x 16 H2 ET 46 alloys (as used on the E200/E220 in SE trim) shod with 225/55 R16 95 H Conti TS830P tyres. I could probably find the part number for the wheels if pushed... :cool:

Why don’t you just get winter tyres ( 4 the same size)for your existing rims? As st13phil and I both do- and as he mentions above - I appreciate you haven’t got the car yet, therefore won’t have the manual to check but that is the normal way to do things...is it a W212 you’re buying? If so I can check my manual.
And....if 255/40 R18 would work I just happen to have 4 x Dunlop Wintersport 3D with only 2k of use on them in pristine condition (in tyre bags too for good measure)- I could do you a deal on them...

Won’t his original wheels be wider at the back if they have 265s?
They will but a 255 will still fit- mine are normally 285 on a 9.5J but I can fit a 255 on there without any problem
In fact just checked the manual..
His car currently has (summer set up):-
FA 245/40 R18 8.5J ET48
RA 265/35 R18 9.0J ET54
Winters on these rims can be 245/40 R18 all round
So the slightly wider 255’s would still be OK IMO if he’s interested..

They will but a 255 will still fit- mine are normally 285 on a 9.5J but I can fit a 255 on there without any problem
In fact just checked the manual..
His car currently has (summer set up):-
FA 245/40 R18 8.5J ET48
RA 265/35 R18 9.0J ET54
Winters on these rims can be 245/40 R18 all round
So the slightly wider 255’s would still be OK IMO if he’s interested..

Yes, looked into this when I bought my winters for my E350 amg line. The correct fitment is 245/40 R18s all round, despite the mismatched summer set up. Just stick them on the same wheels.

5309E761-8537-4FC2-90EA-663EB0D65114.jpeg I’ve just got a set of 4 Nexen Winguard Sport 2 in size 245/45/17 which I’ve bought from mytyres for only £85.50 each, delivered. Checking on idealo for yours 245/40/18 these sell at £92-£97 depending on maximum load you need and 255/40/18 gor £95, must say for that money these are steals. Prior to purchase I’ve read a lot of real world people reviews on german sites and most of them rate them as really good winter tyres. On 50 winter tire test these were on 9th place behind big brands for small margin.
After fitting them difference is immediate with much less noise in a cabin compared to P7.
How good will these be on a snow I’ll have to wait and see.

Thats my E350 AMG Line on 245-40-18's Pirelli Scottozero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom