MB E350 W212 gearbox problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

est

Car
MB E350 W212
Hi!

I have some problems with MB E350 W212 with 7G tronic transmission. There are some probems accelerating from 40-50km/h, sometimes acceleration is not smooth and there is small vibration. It seems to be on 3th or 4rd gear, mostly when cruising or slowly accelerating. When accelerating more agressivly then everyhing is ok.

(Sorry, english is not my mother tongue so i dont know the correct word in english to describe the problem)

Has anybody had the same problem? What can be the cause?

How many miles has it done and have the transmission fluids been changed or due a change?

Electro plate? expensive repair, but oil and filter may fix the problem.

Sounds as if torque converter lock up clutch is starting to slip. Put a can of BG conditioner in. It sorted out my car. The other fix is Doctor Tranny.

If you have an independent with star they can disable lock up clutch and test drive car to see if that is what is causing the problem.

Car has done 240000km (176000 miles). Dont know anything about oil change, just bought the car. What does Mercedes say about changing oil in gearbox? My previous car was BMW and they said that transmission oil lasts for life

My previous car was BMW and they said that transmission oil lasts for life

They say that - and there are many discussions on the Internet for and against this. But in general the opinion seems to be that you can and should change the oil - and any seals/filters associated with the change.

I know it's an older car with a different transmission, but my SLK had it's transmission oil and filter changed at 63K miles and it will need doing again at the next major service.

As has previously been mentioned MB VW have both had a crack at this lifetime oil nonsense as a reduced cost for servicing enticement. Funny how they went back on this after a few years with no internal changes to the gearboxes. The bottom line is you have wet clutches that contaminate and get contaminated with wear. This shows up with the lock up clutch juddering under heavy torque loads. If a gearbox flush and filter and oil change doesn't sorted put some of the additive I mentioned above in. For a tenner you have nothing to lose. Don't forget these gearboxes are very common in the USA and all suffer. A bit of you tubing will prove it to you.
You can never have too many oil changes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom