MB extended warranty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

khooni

Car
c63
Hi,

As the warranty on my car is running out in October, I am thinking of renewing the warranty via MB.

The pricing is driving me towards a Tier 1 vs a Tier 2 as the difference in price is only £100. what i have been told is that the warranty doesn't have to be continuous and that I can get it anytime after it lapses. What I don't know is whether it is transferrable and even if so, wouldn't it be better for the then current owner to just ring up MB themselves.

anyway, has anyone renewed their warranty and has any thoughts on the matter?

its expensive! Tier 1 is what you want

you can transfer it at any time, its a form on the back of the booklet that you fill in and job done they send the new paperwork to the new owner.

whats the renewal on the c63 at?

yep you can take it out after it lapses, sometimes they request an inspection.

that used to be the standard price for most AMG models, the E55 is now £3000!

its 50/50 really, you could bank the money and hopefully nothing will go wrong, or pay it out for piece of mind, i done the latter last year and now i know my car pretty well, i will be banking the cash in case of something in the future.

C63 is a far less complicated car than an E55 .. no SBC, no Airmatic, no Kompressor

Quoted me approx 2400 for tier 1 this year,was less than 1000 last year for my c32

Warranty Direct's premium policy is very comprehensive and will cost half as much as MB's extended warranty...

3rd less in the case of the e55, but still too much

I guess i am most concerned re engine and transmission failures... how often does that happen? Also, it seems that the tier 1 cost is not that bad in that it covers pretty much all electricals as well except wear and tear items...

btw, how much does replacement pads and disc cost on a c63 (pp)

I guess the main issue of getting a warranty is for continued peace of mind and, as in the case of Porsche/BMW, the right to continually get warranty on it.

As I understand on a merc, you can opt out this year and then re-subscribe. Sure there may be checks performed, but in generally you can opt in and out as and when you want. If you buy a used car, you can call them up and get a Tier 1 warranty, provided it meets their requirements. This is great.

It doesn't mean that once you lose coverage you don't get it back, unlike BMW or you can just get it right before you sell.

Khooni, same case with BMW i understand, a guy at work who owns a 330i had aftermarket warranty and then at renewal time took out a BMW one.

Khooni, same case with BMW i understand, a guy at work who owns a 330i had aftermarket warranty and then at renewal time took out a BMW one.

As long as you have full BMW franchised service history then you can do this. Its BMW warranty through Mondail Insurance.
From very recent experience they are specific about wanting full franchised service history. You don't have to prove that when taking the policy out, but they check it closely if a claim is made and will try and wriggle out if you have one stamp in the book from an indi.

I have used Warranty Direct in the past on my Volvo T5's and Jaguar S Type R at an annual cost of £500. As my CLS500 missed two dealer services MB would not give it a warranty, Tier 1 on CLS500 is about £1100 Warranty Direct including a lot more than MB cover was £875. Not decided as yet what to do, just had a very major service done inc all oil changes, car only covered 36k miles which is nothing on a V8. I have never made a claim in the last 6 years which totals £3k makes you think. I certainly would not spend £1100 on a Mercedes Warranty you can get a warranty from a number of warranty companies for £500 I am investigating the alternatives. I will always be using Independents for all my work and like Volvo hourly rates refuse to pay extortionate hourly rates to Mercedes.

Last edited:
It doesn't mean that once you lose coverage you don't get it back, unlike BMW or you can just get it right before you sell.

On BMW it costs more if you let it lapse.

On the old mans 730d it was £51 a month for the full warranty, same as new car, while it was under 60k miles, and if you let it slip it was £70 something, so quite a bit of difference.
This was with £100 excess charge, from memory it was around £5 a month more with 0 excess.

I think £1500 for an E320cdi is ludicrous, you can buy a used one for under £5k now, doesn't make me think they have much faith in them.
Maybe I need one?? :confused:

I have used warranty direct on numerous occasions and claimed and have nothing but praise for them, they have replaced front wishbones before because they have worn, the manufacturer warranty doesn't cover wear and tear and this is where it starts to get complicated, as you could argue anything was wear and tear.

I was quoted £40 a month for my E320cdi from WD, for their very top level, but still decided to risk it as it has been a gem so far.

Last edited:
Isn't the Mercedes warranty an insured warranty now?
So the same as all the others like Mondial etc. who do the cover for BMW, Audi and loads more?
Just that it is all done through the dealer so seems like it is Mercedes UK covering it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom