MB Facing big fine over emissions software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was never going to be limited to VW. Only surprised it's taken so long.

Mercedes-Benz facing €1bn fine over emissions software | Autocar
I can’t imagine that there’s a single major manufacturer who didn’t do this. Going back 25 years there was talk amongst students that this could be done. Supposing for a moment that those already in industry hadn’t already had the same thought at that time, when those students became engineers and managers the the solution to a problem was already in mind.

Give an engineer a problem, and they’ll find a way to solve it. Give a manager an incentive, and they’ll find a way to take it!

I don’t see the problem: drive your car in the same steady state conditions and you will achieve the same results .

Drive your car differently and you won’t .

It is what it means by YMMV .

I don’t see the problem: drive your car in the same steady state conditions and you will achieve the same results .

I believe that VW, MB etc tweaked the electronics for testing & approvals and it was mainly around emissions .......

Its not possible to drive a car without making small corrections to the steering. The emissions tests were done on a rolling road so the VW software recognised that no steering inputs were being made so altered the fuelling to meet the required parameters.

Its not possible to drive a car without making small corrections to the steering. The emissions tests were done on a rolling road so the VW software recognised that no steering inputs were being made so altered the fuelling to meet the required parameters.
One of the many reasons emission figures are complete boll0ks to the guy in the street (the customer) , I realise the industry has to have a benchmark to work from but as long as the individual manufacturers are allowed to 'self test' this will always happen.

One of the many reasons emission figures are complete boll0ks to the guy in the street (the customer) , I realise the industry has to have a benchmark to work from but as long as the individual manufacturers are allowed to 'self test' this will always happen.

Exactly, im not surprised more companies have not had issues with this as they must surely all be at it. You'd think there would be a regulatory body who would do all this testing third party to ensure these kind of things dont happen

….as long as the individual manufacturers are allowed to 'self test' this will always happen.

Too true and it applies everywhere. It annoys me that the Americans were holier than thou about the VW shenanigans when they had allowed Boeing to self certify the 737 Max - An aircraft designed to fly itself into the ground.

Too true and it applies everywhere. It annoys me that the Americans were holier than thou about the VW shenanigans when they had allowed Boeing to self certify the 737 Max - An aircraft designed to fly itself into the ground.

And all them very environmentally friendly massive v8 engines that folk run about it :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom