MB Factory trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Avoid motorway 61 in Germany, low speed limits most of the time.

I'm in Stuttgart right now and staying in Hilton Garden Inn which is 5 minute walk from MB Museum. It's quite nice but I read it should be avoided during mass events at MB Arena or Porsche Arena. It sits between the too. Parking is 15 euro in garage or free on a street. I parked on a street no problem.

I spent 6h in Museum yesterday as I wanted to read and see everything. It was my second visit. Skipped Porsche Museum, I didn't find it exciting first time around. There's 25% discount at Porsche with ticket from MB. Not sure if it works the other way around.

I can recommend driving through Black Forest if you have enough time, nice bendy roads.

I am going next month I thought the A61 had less speed limits that A3/A5 what route would you take from Rotterdam?

We when to Copenhagen for New |Year and found lots of de restricted quite Autobhan but was in GLC.
Taking the C43 this time but don't think I will get much chance to V max on this trip!

I am staying in Karlsruhe for 3 nights.

Looking to do the B500 (Black forest High road) one day.
Any more tips?

I am going next month I thought the A61 had less speed limits that A3/A5 what route would you take from Rotterdam?

We when to Copenhagen for New |Year and found lots of de restricted quite Autobhan but was in GLC.
Taking the C43 this time but don't think I will get much chance to V max on this trip!

Any more tips?
At the Sindelfingen factory, where they do not allow photos inside the assembly area, there is a very nice photo opportunity outside with your car....
578df7fb6628e6f8dcb65bf5e826ea0d.jpg
...but you'll have to find a gap amongst the lucky people picking their new cars up inside! Here's mine which had left the factory via Zeebrugge and Hull a few months earlier.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Any more tips?
I usualluy take A3 if there are no extended road works. A61 only when it's best route and avoiding it would be too much hassle/time.
Depending on what you want to do and see, there's plenty of interesting places nearby. I personally like Strasbourg.

So what about AMG exhibition at MB Museum? No one went to check it out?

So, to answer my own question, it wasn't worth extra trip to just see AMG exhibition. It was only one floor, about 10 cars or so. Of course, I still enjoyed the visit to Museum, stay in Hilton Garden Inn, and checking out all cars in dealership attached to Museum.

Regarding speed limits on A61, there was 130km/h restriction in place since exit for Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, where Autobahn widens to 3 lanes. It was restriction displayed on gantries, it was early morning, bank holiday and no traffic at all. Further down you have fixed restrictions with standard signs on the side of the road and they were in place until end of A61, with a few areas without it. Definitely better to take A3 to avoid it.

From Stuttgart I drove to Interlaken in Switzerland, avoiding toll roads which added some extra time but also nice scenery. Then from Interlaken to Geneva via mountain pass experience winter conditions. Do not park at Geneva Airport if you have a big car. I thought I won't get out of P51 car park. I don't know how I managed to leave without damaging alloys. Also, car parks at the airport are almost always at full capacity. Two weeks parking costed 210 CHF, around £158. Heathrow is excellent airport, comparing to Geneva :)

Driving back from Geneva to UK avoiding toll roads again wasn't so bad. Went through Jura Mountains enjoying nice weather and empty roads on Sunday morning. Then via A roads: Besançon - Nancy - Metz - Luxemburg and then towards Dunkirk. It's definitely worth stopping at Luxemburg to buy fuel, diesel was 1.06 euro.

Last edited:
So, to answer my own question, it wasn't worth extra trip to just see AMG exhibition. It was only one floor, about 10 cars or so. Of course, I still enjoyed the visit to Museum, stay in Hilton Garden Inn, and checking out all cars in dealership attached to Museum.

Regarding speed limits on A61, there was 130km/h restriction in place since exit for Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, where Autobahn widens to 3 lanes. It was restriction displayed on gantries, it was early morning, bank holiday and no traffic at all. Further down you have fixed restrictions with standard signs on the side of the road and they were in place until end of A61, with a few areas without it. Definitely better to take A3 to avoid it.

From Stuttgart I drove to Interlaken in Switzerland, avoiding toll roads which added some extra time but also nice scenery. Then from Interlaken to Geneva via mountain pass experience winter conditions. Do not park at Geneva Airport if you have a big car. I thought I won't get out of P51 car park. I don't know how I managed to leave without damaging alloys. Also, car parks at the airport are almost always at full capacity. Two weeks parking costed 210 CHF, around £158. Heathrow is excellent airport, comparing to Geneva :)

Driving back from Geneva to UK avoiding toll roads again wasn't so bad. Went through Jura Mountains enjoying nice weather and empty roads on Sunday morning. Then via A roads: Besançon - Nancy - Metz - Luxemburg and then towards Dunkirk. It's definitely worth stopping at Luxemburg to buy fuel, diesel was 1.06 euro.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Ponitless facts:
Shell Berchem in Luxembourg is the largest fuel station in the world with more than 300 million litres of fuels sold each year and up to 27 fuel truck deliveries per day while other fuel stations get few truck deliveries per week.

Stay at the V8 Hotel which is close to the factory. If you can, get an AMG factory tour too, Afalterbach isn't far out of Stuttgart. Bear in mind rush hour traffic is heavy in and around Stuttgart.

Agreed.
We stayed at the V8 Hotel, following recommendation from Sean.
Great hotel with a great selection of cars to view next door.

We took taxis from the hotel to see the museums.
Proved to be the better option as we didn’t need to worry about traffic etc.

We drove to the AMG factory though.
Rude not to.

Ponitless facts:
Shell Berchem in Luxembourg is the largest fuel station in the world with more than 300 million litres of fuels sold each year and up to 27 fuel truck deliveries per day while other fuel stations get few truck deliveries per week.
You can certainly see it' popular place, there's a problem with parking. I think other services with Q8 are a little better in terms of available space. I was running low on fuel and wasn't sure how much is left so stopped at Berchem, obviously wanted to buy as much cheap diesel as possible ;-)

Many thanks for the up date sounds like you had a good time.
I am off next week:-
Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, then staying in Karlsruhe from 3 nights.

via Breda, Eindhoven picking up the 61 west of Dusseldorf,
With going to Karlsruhe I think we will have to use the 61 but we will get off at Koblenz and follow the Rine valley a bit for a break from the Autobahn.
Pick up the 61 again west of Mainz then looking to use the A65 from Mannheim -
or on to Hockenhiem and the A5.
Sup
pose I could use the A3 from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt then take the A5 - Anybody know if this would be worth it?

1st day we are off to Affalterbach for a tour at 1100 then will got to the Museum on the way back to Karlsruhe.
2nd day Black Forest along the B500 Schwarzwaldhochstrasse via Barden Barden Barden and Bad Wildbad.
3rd day return to Rotterdam - looking to go via Nurburg for the Ring.
Any advise or suggestions please.
Where are the best viewing places at the ring?

Going on A3 from Rotterdam to Frankfurt will add only 30-50km extra but may be fun if you want to drive faster. Just check for road works. There was no major road works on A61. Traffic will depend on the day of the week. Weekend is best, as there are no lorries on the road. Rine Valley is very nice area to drive around.I recommend it for a separate longer trip, a lot of places to visit. Last year I enjoyed trip along the Mosel River and plan to go back to explore the area in more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom