MB Factory trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamW

Car
2000 W208 CLK320 Coupe Elegance
Evening all

I've been reading many threads about trips to Germany but thought I would ask the question myself.

A friend and I are planning a 4 day road trip to Stuttgart with the intention of seeing as many MB related sites as poss. Singlefingen factory tour, MB museum to name the big ones.

Looking at early Oct taking the car via the tunnel and then straight down.

Probably not the most exciting for many but something we've always wanted to do.

Any do's and donts? Any 'must dos'? I guess autobahns will be involved so is there anything to be concerned about with them?

Appreciate any advice as neither of us have driven on the continent or been to Germany full stop!

Many thanks

Stay at the V8 Hotel which is close to the factory. If you can, get an AMG factory tour too, Afalterbach isn't far out of Stuttgart. Bear in mind rush hour traffic is heavy in and around Stuttgart.

1 - If you are driving through France for the first time - Check for all of the items that you need to keep in the car !

2 - Enjoy the trip :)

Avoid motorway 61 in Germany, low speed limits most of the time.

I'm in Stuttgart right now and staying in Hilton Garden Inn which is 5 minute walk from MB Museum. It's quite nice but I read it should be avoided during mass events at MB Arena or Porsche Arena. It sits between the too. Parking is 15 euro in garage or free on a street. I parked on a street no problem.

I spent 6h in Museum yesterday as I wanted to read and see everything. It was my second visit. Skipped Porsche Museum, I didn't find it exciting first time around. There's 25% discount at Porsche with ticket from MB. Not sure if it works the other way around.

I can recommend driving through Black Forest if you have enough time, nice bendy roads.

Make sure that you're on de restricted stretch of autobahn before planting it

We passed Stuttgart yesterday and the traffic was very heavy, if I read the signs right, if a speed limit is in force it's on signs on the central reservation, look out for the very small and missable speed limit end signs , like U.K. Ones but grey

I didn't go above 90 all the way and found German motorway driving to be agressive, more so than any other country we visited

Have fun in the museum, I'd loved to have had time to stop

Did a similar trip on the way to Techno Classica earlier in the year. Couldn't do the MB Factory visit but did the Porsche one which was excellent. Visited both Porsche and MB museums and the 4 of us felt Porsche was better.

I agree with Calvin that the de-restricted motorway sections are interesting, assuming you enjoy a stream of fast cars on your rear bumper flashing you to get over at speeds > 100mph. The other attraction is keeping out of the way of the same drivers who dive for their exit at 45 degrees to the main line of traffic - exciting!

Don't miss out on a visit to Unimog museum at Gaggenau - highlight of our trip.

There's a unimog museum??????

I'm now even more upset

i do love driving in Germany. i remember a year or so ago, the sound of a C63 passing me at about 140mph or so on the autobahn. :bannana:

you can really see what these cars are about.

There's a unimog museum??????

I'm now even more upset

Indeed there is and a free ride on one around a purpose built all terrain track is available too. The one we went in was almost brand new and can go up 1/1 slopes with ease - backwards and forwards. Great experience and well worth a detour :bannana:

I guess autobahns will be involved so is there anything to be concerned about with them?

Good points mentioned so far.

One difference compared to the UK is that the speed limit changes quite frequently from one stretch to the next, so you need to keep an eye on the fixed signs. Obviously they have variable speed limits in places too ... those can vary from lane to lane though (e.g. restricting trucks to certain lanes at particular times of day).

The Sinsheim and Speyer 'Auto & Technik' museums are well worth a visit if you get time.

The German for queue is 'stau' which you will see on matrix signs just before you grind to a halt.

Certain road junctions allow you to turn right on a red light if it's clear, there will be a fixed green arrow sign the same size as the traffic light bulb. It's a bit unnerving the first time you do it, if it was implemented here i suspect there would be carnage lol

If you're on foot then be sure to use the pedestrian crossing as cars will toot to tell you off if you don't

Don't forget your emission sticker http://www.tolltickets.com

https://www.stuttgart.de/umweltzone

Last edited:
I agree with Calvin that the de-restricted motorway sections are interesting, assuming you enjoy a stream of fast cars on your rear bumper flashing you to get over at speeds > 100mph.

I remember being on the autobahn when in Germany some 10 years ago, and feeling rather pleased with myself having screwed 120 out of my rented 1.4 Ford Focus (it had taken many miles to get there, and this was on a big downhill stretch). This did not last long when I attempted to use the outside lane to overtake, as Mike says I was immediately borne down upon by various teutonic businessmen in Mercs/BMWs doing 140+. Germany is a nation in a hurry.

Cheers,

Gaz

PS A 1.4 Ford Focus starts to smell funny after a few minutes of being driven at 120 MPH. I backed off in the end, although if I'd have known how much Avis were going to overcharge me at the end of the rental I'd have kept going and let it go bang. Robdogs.

Anyone went to check out AMG Exhibition in Stuttgart? Is it worth extra trip? Just thinking whether to stop there on my way to Geneva or skip it. Looks like it was extended until May so maybe it was popular.

I spent two days there last year, and wished I'd made it a week. Did the Museum, Factory and Motorworld. Didn't have time to do the Porsche museum or factory.

Stayed in a pleasant Airbnb 2 bed flat within walking distance of the museum for two nights: total cost £140 all in.

Make sure you drop into Motorworld, which is between the MB factory and the railway station, if you have time. I spent half a day there, and wished I'd spent the full day.

An extraordinary conference / retail / museum centre. The car park alone is worth an hour just to gawk at the vehicles people have turned up in.

Here's the link: MOTORWORLD | Region Stuttgart

a317c2e83ea8ce27396a90b1d77b6dc2

I spent two days there last year, and wished I'd made it a week. Did the Museum, Factory and Motorworld. Didn't have time to do the Porsche museum or factory.

Stayed in a pleasant Airbnb 2 bed flat within walking distance of the museum for two nights: total cost £140 all in.

Make sure you drop into Motorworld, which is between the MB factory and the railway station, if you have time. I spent half a day there, and wished I'd spent the full day.

An extraordinary conference / retail / museum centre. The car park alone is worth an hour just to gawk at the vehicles people have turned up in.

Here's the link: MOTORWORLD | Region Stuttgart

a317c2e83ea8ce27396a90b1d77b6dc2
The V8 Hotel at Motorworld is a great place to stay if visiting Mercedes, AMG or Porsche

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom