MB Hybrids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieter

Car
2009 Jaguar XF 3.0D 'S'
Hi,

Whilst many people doubt the 'green' benefits of hybrid vehicles e.g Prius, MB have upped the ante a bit by becoming the first manufacturer to (claim to be able to) use Li-ion battery technology (Prius uses Ni hydride technology). Read more here:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080301.002/daimler-makes-breakthrough-in-lithium-ion-battery-technology

So S400 blueHYBRID (petrol) is due in 2009 (along with ML 450 petrol hybrid I believe) followed by diesel S 300 BlueTec Hybrid (2010?).

It looks a better system than Toyota/Lexus as to keep the battery at optimal efficiency it is incorporated into the climate control system.

So what's it going to cost? If it's £5K will anybody want it?

Cheers,

I feel that the article is a little misleading about MB being the first to use lithium-ion cells in automotive usage. The TESLA sport cars has been using lithium-ion cells since its inception.

"The Tesla Roadster's battery pack — the car's "fuel tank" — represents the biggest innovation in the Tesla Roadster and is one of the largest and most advanced battery packs in the world. We've combined basic proven lithium ion battery technology with our own unique battery pack design to provide multiple layers of safety. It's light, durable, recyclable, and it is capable of delivering enough power to accelerate the Tesla Roadster from 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. Meanwhile, the battery stores enough energy for the vehicle to travel about 220 miles without recharging, something no other production electric vehicle in history can claim."

http://www.teslamotors.com/efficiency/how_it_works.php

True, but MB will be the first to use L-ion in a Hybrid car. Whether that's of any benefit I'm not sure as it still takes energy to recharge the batteries, so the engine will have to run for longer unless there is a facility to charge from an external source.

So what's it going to cost? If it's £5K will anybody want it?

Not as a petrol I wouldn't but as a diesel I would probably pay the extra.

It says the petrol can achieve 7L/100km or 40.4mpg. This is about a 30% saving of fuel, which may be a fiddle similar to the Prius figures but if it is true then the diesel will be about 5L/km or 56mpg.

At those figures there is a fairly short payback period and most of the additional value will be retained anyway.

I was just thinking into the future (GRIN), I bet the cost of the battery replacement will be truly horrific! I wonder how long they will last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom