MB - Jealousy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even the dustcart is merc!

If you want a RWD car with a decent sized engine you haven't got much choice. I don't think I trust another BMW, even worse money pits.
Apart from a FWD A Class with a Renault engine!!

Regarding the BMW’s, are they that bad?? I’ve got a hankering for an E46.

Most of our 22-25 year old electricians are driving about in leased/PCP A Classes. All living at home and wearing Rolex watches bought on a 3 year plan!!

Yep if the watches are genuine - there are so many really good fakes around. I know a young bloke (30ish) who has an ordinary job & comes from an ordinary family who arrived at a party wearing a Patek Phillipe Nautilus. They are £50k and up. He also has a bunch of Rolex watches....claims they are all genuine.....I have my doubts.

Apart from a FWD A Class with a Renault engine!!

Regarding the BMW’s, are they that bad?? I’ve got a hankering for an E46.
My main gripe is the sheer number of cheap plastic parts everywhere, especially on the cooling systems. My E39 needed the ZF box rebuilt at around 100k.

At least when I have to fix annoyances with the CLK (it's going in to have diesel leaks tomorrow), I can have confidence the major oily bits should soldier on so I haven't completely poured my money down the drain. Obviously that's not to say MB haven't made some shockers recently with balance shafts etc.

It's a shame the Lexiii's are so bloody ugly.

Reactions: 219
Haven’t come across it where I live to be honest. Guy round the corner likes cars and came over when I first had it and liked it, same time another neighbour came over and knew exactly what it was (he is a PDI manager at JLR) and explained the difference to the “standard” ones to him - saved me a job :) Neighbour on other side of me also likes the car but he is a biker and owns a Pagnali so his heart lies elsewhere.

My neighbour opposite likes it and has been to look at a few at dealers as well as being thankful it does not wake him up as much as the TVR used to do :D

Only places I have had any issues is car parks where I park the car a long way away from anything else if I can and come back to find cars parked right next to it despite there being no need for that at all :wallbash:

I had mixed reactions to my new car. A petrol head neighbour was straight over and showed great interest and enthusiasm.

Conversely, a “so called friend” had never once mentioned the car after I told him I had bought it. Ten months later, we called at his house for something and he had no choice but to reluctantly come out and have a look at it. He had already told me how proud he is of his 50mpg from his diesel XE and the best he could manage was to ask what “Bit Urbo” is (“Biturbo” badges on the side) and whether I had started saving up for the rear tyres when they need replacing. Jealous? I think so!

Most of our 22-25 year old electricians are driving about in leased/PCP A Classes. All living at home and wearing Rolex watches bought on a 3 year plan!!
I live at home. I think it's more comfortable than a park bench. But I don't have a Rolex or a car that I haven't paid for in full, so presumably I can't claim to be an electrician and charge a fortune to provide a certificate for the electrical work I do in my fully paid for home, despite being a Chartered Electrical Engineer?

Apart from a FWD A Class with a Renault engine!!.

Every time I see the current A Class , I can't help but think , as a far cry from the innovative first two generations of A Class ( esp the W168 with its tardis like space efficiency ) that this one is just like any other FWD hatch , and really not so different from the C Class Sport Coupe to look at , so why did they bother ?

That's a bit too Utopian, I think.

The wealthy making their capital work for themselves, while bettering the lives of the less-wealthy at the same time. Win-Win. If only...

While finance is now more common than before, I don't think we are quite there yet in terms of availability of finance for poorer people.

We should do more to ensure that the less-wealthy have access through finance to the material benefits that capital avails the wealthy.

Every time I see the current A Class , I can't help but think , as a far cry from the innovative first two generations of A Class ( esp the W168 with its tardis like space efficiency ) that this one is just like any other FWD hatch , and really not so different from the C Class Sport Coupe to look at , so why did they bother ?
One of the many joys of life is the variation in opinions that we have. I like the latest A Class quite a bit and disliked its predecessors. For me, it's the interior that makes it stand head and shoulders above the competitors' hatches. Because I prefer larger cars, it wouldn't suit me however.

I live in a home. I think it's more comfortable than a park bench. But I don't have a Rolex or a car that I haven't paid for in full, so presumably I can't claim to be an electrician and charge a fortune to provide a certificate for the electrical work I do in my fully paid for home, despite being a Chartered Electrical Engineer?
FTFY

That's a bit too Utopian, I think.

The wealthy making their capital work for themselves, while bettering the lives of the less-wealthy at the same time. Win-Win. If only...

While finance is now more common than before, I don't think we are quite there yet in terms of availability of finance for poorer people.

We should do more to ensure that the less-wealthy have access through finance to the material benefits that capital avails the wealthy.
No no no. Very many of today's problems are down to too much finance being made available to those who can't afford whatever it is they're buying, whether it's watches, cars or bigger houses.

We bought a 171 SLK200 for my other half a couple of weeks ago. Our neighbor commented that it was "abit flash". It cost £3,000 he has a Kia that he paid £7,000 for...

No no no. Very many of today's problems are down to too much finance being made available to those who can't afford whatever it is they're buying, whether it's watches, cars or bigger houses.
Is it in your view not sustainable financially, or morally wrong (or both)?

For many years, Finance has been the established way for people to live in their own homes from early-on in their adult lives. Why not extend it to cars and other goods?

The wealthy will be happy because their money is being put to work and generates income, rather than be locked-in in expensive properties (or in gold bullions locked in physical safe).

The less-wealthy certainly seem happy with the access to a more comfortable life that Finance can provide.

As long as it's properly managed, e.g. in the same way that mortgages are, what's the downside?

We bought a 171 SLK200 for my other half a couple of weeks ago. Our neighbor commented that it was "abit flash". It cost £3,000 he has a Kia that he paid £7,000 for...
De-badged?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Is it in your view not sustainable financially, or morally wrong (or both)?

For many years, Finance has been the established way for people to live in their own homes from early-on in their adult lives. Why not extend it to cars and other goods?

The wealthy will be happy because their money is being put to work and generates income, rather than be locked-in in expensive properties (or in gold bullions locked in physical safe).

The less-wealthy certainly seem happy with the access to a more comfortable life that Finance can provide.

As long as it's properly managed, e.g. in the same way that mortgages are, what's the downside?
We're probably hijacking the thread here, or maybe not because lots of things bought on finance are no doubt brought about through being jealous of others. Anyway ...

In my opinion, borrowing money to pay for something can be sustainable financially but all too often isn't. The only regular winners are those who don't exceed their means to buy houses that increase in value, and those who lend the money in the first place. There have been far too many stories of people struggling with negative equity to make me believe that proper management is in place with mortgages, so little chance of it happening elsewhere.

I can see the attraction of borrowing to finance personal purchases, but it's all too often fraught with danger when circumstances change and funding the repayments becomes more challenging. Not only that, it's a surefire way to make sure that your limited finances stretch less far than if you'd saved for things that in reality you can go without for a while. The newer car, the larger TV, the luxury holiday or whatever aren't essential. Gaining interest by saving money whilst going without a non-essential, means you can get more of those nice things than by paying interest to have them now. That's what I call money management.

Borrowing money for business use is mostly a different matter and makes sense - as long as there's business plan that justifies it. Borrowing money to make money is totally different from borrowing money for something nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom