MB Keyless security question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tylerdurden, Nov 13, 2017.

1. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Hardcore MB Enthusiast

At dealers. They showed me you can pop off the start button; meaning the keys have to be used to start the engine.

My question is, does this deal with the keyless vulnerability of a chap with a laptop driving off with your car?

2. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
  3. Tiim533

Tiim533 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Doesn't deal with the vulnerability of someone renting a low loader and stealing your car either. If they want it and are committed enough, they'll steal it.

4. Scooby_Doo

Scooby_Doo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C250d 4matic
    I've asked this question on previous posts and got the "No" reply so I assume ,because I can't be bothered to look, that all the button does is push the start switch and that merely pushing your little finger in the slot will start it. When I park my car next to our holiday caravan I always double click the keyfob to de-activate the "keyless entry" as the keys are never going to be that far away from the car and a few mm of aluminium and 10 mm of insulation is not going to stop any radio signal.

5. OP
    OP
    tylerdurden

Oh so confusing.

Dealer says that removing the start/stop button means the physical key is needed to start the engine. Also says double clinics the fob just deadlocks the doors and does not disable keyless per se.

I appreciate that a serious person can always remove your car.

I just want to know on a premium plus c class with keyless, is there a way of securing the vehicle from a hijack of the keyless system

6. Scooby_Doo

Scooby_Doo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C250d 4matic
    Have you tried double clicking the fob and then see if "keyless" works ??

John N likes this.
  7. Dec

Dec Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180,A.
    Observe that at the end of the video (50 seconds) he double presses the lock button to disable the keyless go, so from that point on the thief with the laptop can’t steal the car.

If you don’t disable the keyless go… by double presses the lock button … then the car could be stolen by the thief with the laptop.

Dec

8. JBD

JBD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C Class and ND MX5 Sport Recaro
    Double click your lock button and it’ll stop the keyless system working. You’ll see the lights flash 4 times. It turns off the signal from your key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. OP
    OP
    tylerdurden

tested on new car and the double click definitely switches the keyless off. You have to be quick though with the double press. Worth experimenting to see if keyless if inactive by double pressing. This gives you a feel for the speed required

10. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    If you remove the Engine Start button, the thries might not know that your car has Keyless Go, as this is the main giveaway (that, and slightly different door handles).... and even if they did know, they would have to bring a spare button with them in order to drive of with the car.

So it wont stop a determined thief from taking your car (in reality, nothing will), but it will make it harder on them.

What I don't know is if the Engine Start button requires coding to the car... I assume not?

11. kianok

kianok Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 AMG line premium plus coupe
    It’s not, it’s just a piece of plastic.

I did notice the last time the dealer had my car for a couple of days they had removed the button.

markjay likes this.
  12. Bluegnomes

Bluegnomes Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350
    Double clicking definitely works - I do it routinely when leaving the car and it pisses off MrsG when she goes to her SLC when she expects the keyless entry to work. We also park the old Honda at the front of the cars (no keyless and auto so a pain to move).

13. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    The weak caravan/window door locks will make it even easier to get in and just take the keys.

Take care.

14. ph47mf

ph47mf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 335D GT xdrive M-Sport
    the issue is, the more secure you make the car, the more chances of them wanting to break into your house and and take the physical keys.

15. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL400
    Which sadly makes the keyless go pointless...

16. Jim W

Jim W Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2018 E63s Hyacinth Red, 2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Harley Davidson Super Glide
    The guy with the laptop also needs your key to be just the other side of the door to get close enough to clone it.
    It amazes me how many people hang their car keys on a hook or on a table by the front door. When burglars break in to your house, it's not your video they're after, it's your car keys.

I keep my keys well away from the front of the house. - That is the best solution.

17. Riverside Red

Riverside Red Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 R172 SLK55 AMG, 2018 BMW 530d MSport xDrive, 2018 Mini Cooper S
    ...also don't forget your spare keys, or the missus keys if you both have a set!

RR

18. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    How? You can still use it when out and and about, just you need to have your key in your hand when you walk out from home which is hardly a big deal is it

19. Rorywquin

Rorywquin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL400
    Well in practise, if you don't want it stolen, you have to do the double click thing wherever you leave the car...the thieves don't only steal them from driveways, they are known to use signal boosters and follow you around a supermarket after they spotted you arriving..apparent carparks at posh shopping centres etc are also targeted by them.

20. CaptainChaos

CaptainChaos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350e PP Estate
    You can keep your spare keys in a tin.
    Ask for some posh mints for Christmas and then you will have a free and secure place to keep your keys. :D

Brian k likes this.