MB Keyless security question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

At dealers. They showed me you can pop off the start button; meaning the keys have to be used to start the engine.

My question is, does this deal with the keyless vulnerability of a chap with a laptop driving off with your car?

No

Doesn't deal with the vulnerability of someone renting a low loader and stealing your car either. If they want it and are committed enough, they'll steal it.

I've asked this question on previous posts and got the "No" reply so I assume ,because I can't be bothered to look, that all the button does is push the start switch and that merely pushing your little finger in the slot will start it. When I park my car next to our holiday caravan I always double click the keyfob to de-activate the "keyless entry" as the keys are never going to be that far away from the car and a few mm of aluminium and 10 mm of insulation is not going to stop any radio signal.

Oh so confusing.

Dealer says that removing the start/stop button means the physical key is needed to start the engine. Also says double clinics the fob just deadlocks the doors and does not disable keyless per se.

I appreciate that a serious person can always remove your car.

I just want to know on a premium plus c class with keyless, is there a way of securing the vehicle from a hijack of the keyless system

Observe that at the end of the video (50 seconds) he double presses the lock button to disable the keyless go, so from that point on the thief with the laptop can’t steal the car.

If you don’t disable the keyless go… by double presses the lock button … then the car could be stolen by the thief with the laptop.

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Double click your lock button and it’ll stop the keyless system working. You’ll see the lights flash 4 times. It turns off the signal from your key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tested on new car and the double click definitely switches the keyless off. You have to be quick though with the double press. Worth experimenting to see if keyless if inactive by double pressing. This gives you a feel for the speed required

If you remove the Engine Start button, the thries might not know that your car has Keyless Go, as this is the main giveaway (that, and slightly different door handles).... and even if they did know, they would have to bring a spare button with them in order to drive of with the car.

So it wont stop a determined thief from taking your car (in reality, nothing will), but it will make it harder on them.

What I don't know is if the Engine Start button requires coding to the car... I assume not?

What I don't know is if the Engine Start button requires coding to the car... I assume not?
It’s not, it’s just a piece of plastic.

I did notice the last time the dealer had my car for a couple of days they had removed the button.

Double clicking definitely works - I do it routinely when leaving the car and it pisses off MrsG when she goes to her SLC when she expects the keyless entry to work. We also park the old Honda at the front of the cars (no keyless and auto so a pain to move).

I've asked this question on previous posts and got the "No" reply so I assume ,because I can't be bothered to look, that all the button does is push the start switch and that merely pushing your little finger in the slot will start it. When I park my car next to our holiday caravan I always double click the keyfob to de-activate the "keyless entry" as the keys are never going to be that far away from the car and a few mm of aluminium and 10 mm of insulation is not going to stop any radio signal.
The weak caravan/window door locks will make it even easier to get in and just take the keys.

Take care.

the issue is, the more secure you make the car, the more chances of them wanting to break into your house and and take the physical keys.

Double click your lock button and it’ll stop the keyless system working. You’ll see the lights flash 4 times. It turns off the signal from your key
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which sadly makes the keyless go pointless...

The guy with the laptop also needs your key to be just the other side of the door to get close enough to clone it.
It amazes me how many people hang their car keys on a hook or on a table by the front door. When burglars break in to your house, it's not your video they're after, it's your car keys.

I keep my keys well away from the front of the house. - That is the best solution.

...also don't forget your spare keys, or the missus keys if you both have a set!

RR

Which sadly makes the keyless go pointless...
How? You can still use it when out and and about, just you need to have your key in your hand when you walk out from home which is hardly a big deal is it

Well in practise, if you don't want it stolen, you have to do the double click thing wherever you leave the car...the thieves don't only steal them from driveways, they are known to use signal boosters and follow you around a supermarket after they spotted you arriving..apparent carparks at posh shopping centres etc are also targeted by them.

You can keep your spare keys in a tin.
Ask for some posh mints for Christmas and then you will have a free and secure place to keep your keys. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom