MB Newcastle capricious reply

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks @rf065 for adding that information. I guess this is the trouble with electronic communications, it's hard to judge the tone, context etc of what someone is trying to say, and in default, it's easy to make an assumption.

Manners don't cost a thing, a simple acknowledgment from the BMW garage you speak of to say they're currently engaged with others or they'll be with you shortly could have made all the difference.

This^^ 👏

Amuses me when people get disgruntled when salesman fail to really suck up to them. Being called Sir etc. If they need a salesman to make them feel special then they have fairly low self esteem.
I see where you are coming from but.... If a salesperson was rude or even dis-courteous then, sorry but I believe in treating folks the way I would like to be treated. If this makes me out of kilter with the rest of humanity, then so be it :)

I would never dream of calling someone I do not know by their christian name and likewise, unless I requested a salesperson to call me by my christian name, I think I would be more comfortable if they called me by my surname 😔 Very, very much a case of each to their own :)

I see where you are coming from but.... If a salesperson was rude or even dis-courteous then, sorry but I believe in treating folks the way I would like to be treated. If this makes me out of kilter with the rest of humanity, then so be it :)

I would never dream of calling someone I do not know by their christian name and likewise, unless I requested a salesperson to call me by my christian name, I think I would be more comfortable if they called me by my surname 😔 Very, very much a case of each to their own :)
When we had our bar, the men were Sir and the women were Madam until we were told otherwise.

Unfortunately on one occasion Sir looked and dressed like madam (apart from the stubble and the size 11 feet) and wanted to be called Sally!! But I’ll save that for a later date

Last edited:

First paragraph I’m definitely with you. But I wasn’t talking about them being rude or discourteous. It’s the yes sir no sir I don’t want. And much of the time it comes across as being false anyhow.

Regarding how a salesman (or anyone for that matter) addresses me. The first thing I say is: ‘just call me Ant’. Never been keen on being formal. Makes me really uncomfortable.

As you say John, personal choice.

Another classic line is: “I was looking at the cars in the showroom for 15 minutes and no one came over to offer help so I left. Their loss!” 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
So to summarise the learnings in this thread so far:
- Op will give his monies to Scottish Mercs
- @rf065 came over to the light and saved himself from being a dirty BMW driver again (says the guy who has owned over 6 of them)
- @sambam2006 has deemed Mercs Newcastle as the worst possible shady human beings on the planet

Entertaining thread is entertaining.

Getting the thread back on subject.

I've used both Newcastle and Edinburgh over several years and have found both to be equally helpful and prompt in supplying parts and quick to respond to the occasional question about whether certain parts fit a particular VIN. No complaints at all, quite the contrary, both have been very good. Sometimes one has a particular part in stock, the other doesn't.

I don't think the emails quoted are unreasonable; they are polite and are simply expressing their view. It's an unfortunate fact that companies sometimes stop using email simply because they receive so many 'how much', 'what if' type of requests that require time to answer but with no end-benefit to them. The end result is that customers ultimately lose out.

Correct use of 'capricious'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom