MB now more exclusive than BMW and Audi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even though MB Customer Servcie/Stealers are crap one of the reasons behind why W203/W211 sales may have fallen now for the first time is probably because BMW have more recently launed the 3/5 Series and Audi have laundced the A6 (these are newer fresher models and cheaper too than the MBs - The W203/W211 are not too far away from being replaced with new models in the near future (after all ppl want to be seen in the latest new models not ones that are coming towards the end of their life - all cars have a "life cycle" just like any other product - trend will probably change when the W204 and replacement fro W211 are launched...

Well thats my theory anyway... :)

Last edited:
You dont think people are staying away from them because of all the problems that we hear about them ? every few days there is another tale of woe from an MB owner, my wifes friend with her W reg A class with just over 30K miles now needs a new gearbox at a cost of around £2.5K.
Personally I'm looking for a new car but still cant decide whether a merc or something else. I thought I would go for a new E class, I saw some for around 10K off list, but then the issues that people have reported on here and friends who have them, make me a little more cautious. Its not so much the warranty, which I hear is very good, but then am I right in thinking that most new cars will all have the same. Its just the amount of time the car may be off the road and the trips to the garage which are putting me off at the mo

col said:
You dont think people are staying away from them because of all the problems that we hear about them ? every few days there is another tale of woe from an MB owner, my wifes friend with her W reg A class with just over 30K miles now needs a new gearbox at a cost of around £2.5K.
Personally I'm looking for a new car but still cant decide whether a merc or something else. I thought I would go for a new E class, I saw some for around 10K off list, but then the issues that people have reported on here and friends who have them, make me a little more cautious. Its not so much the warranty, which I hear is very good, but then am I right in thinking that most new cars will all have the same. Its just the amount of time the car may be off the road and the trips to the garage which are putting me off at the mo

The above is why I am wary of buying another Mercedes and i have discussed the same issues/concerns/experiences that I have had and was put off the idea of ever buying another Mercedes. BUT I have been shopping around showrooms expressing an intrest in their cars for Audi, Jaguar, BMW and even VW - I was not impressed with the lack of service I recieved as a potential customer. Even though my other half bought a brand new 6 Series cab from BMW (the sales person who sold the car is no longer there and the level of service I got the other day I was not impressed with from the sales monkey that I had to liaise with...). None of them will get my business...

Mercedes has a captive market and customers will always buy their cars just for the image...

Flash said:
Even though MB Customer Servcie/Stealers are crap one of the reasons behind why W203/W211 sales may have fallen now for the first time is probably because BMW have more recently launed the 3/5 Series and Audi have laundced the A6 (these are newer fresher models and cheaper too than the MBs - The W203/W211 are not too far away from being replaced with new models in the near future (after all ppl want to be seen in the latest new models not ones that are coming towards the end of their life - all cars have a "life cycle" just like any other product - trend will probably change when the W204 and replacement fro W211 are launched...

Well thats my theory anyway... :)

Er...AFAIK W212 is not due to around 2009 (though W211 is said to be getting a "facelift" maybe next year).

Fady said:
Er...AFAIK W212 is not due to around 2009 (though W211 is said to be getting a "facelift" maybe next year).

I'm sure we can all draw our own conclusions then... MB are for sure struggling to sell W211s and W203s (thats why they are offering big discounts on unregistered stock cars...)

I looked at all those cars recently with a pretty open budget and eventually bought a 6mth old C270 estate that had a lot of options.
The A6 is priced to sell, whereas the E Class just seems too expensive, with the BMW in between. I'm sure a lot of company car buyers must be put off by the tax on Merc's, which the high list price exaggerates. If you're spending your own money then the depreciation on E class is frightening, yet the dealers ask stupid prices for used ones.

The new 3 Series is just fabulous to drive, but (while not as offensive as the 5) it's not as pretty as the old 3. The A4 is, again, a more acceptable price. A reasonably equipped new C Class is too dear - mine, with COMAND etc, would have listed at £33K new. At £23,500, however, I'm very pleased with it.

Rory said:
I looked at all those cars recently with a pretty open budget and eventually bought a 6mth old C270 estate that had a lot of options.
The A6 is priced to sell, whereas the E Class just seems too expensive, with the BMW in between. I'm sure a lot of company car buyers must be put off by the tax on Merc's, which the high list price exaggerates. If you're spending your own money then the depreciation on E class is frightening, yet the dealers ask stupid prices for used ones.

The new 3 Series is just fabulous to drive, but (while not as offensive as the 5) it's not as pretty as the old 3. The A4 is, again, a more acceptable price. A reasonably equipped new C Class is too dear - mine, with COMAND etc, would have listed at £33K new. At £23,500, however, I'm very pleased with it.

That's exactly how I bought my 270, privately at 9 months and 4,500 miles old. Loaded with Comand, multi-CD, Parktronic, leather, ESR, Bose, luxury climate control, etc. and saved myself £10,000 over the original invoice. I too am very pleased with it.

I have toyed with the idea of a new C320CDI, but similarly loaded would cost me £20k to change. Difficult to justify!

Fady said:

Saw one (still disguised) last week in Stuttgart. The facelift is about as heavy as the recent CLK one (i.e. blink and you miss it).

Flash said:
Mercedes has a captive market and customers will always buy their cars just for the image...

Bingo! I bought the C-Class for the brand image and style...now I realise I was wearing beer-goggles. I must thank MB for making me realise how clever marketing can make average (or even below average) products appear desirable.

Next time I will not be so stupid, and use my brains and not my heart.

jeremytaylor said:
That's exactly how I bought my 270, privately at 9 months and 4,500 miles old. Loaded with Comand, multi-CD, Parktronic, leather, ESR, Bose, luxury climate control, etc. and saved myself £10,000 over the original invoice.
Wow, and I thought mine (an MB Management car) was well equipped. The person who bought your car new paid a lot of money to do 4500mls!

Rory said:
Wow, and I thought mine (an MB Management car) was well equipped. The person who bought your car new paid a lot of money to do 4500mls!

Yes, and am I complaining?? :D

He was selling it sooner than he thought because at the time he was on the waiting list for a CLK convertible and a cancelled order came up that he decided to go for.

At the time Merc dealers could match the age and price, but not the spec., which kind of made my decision easier.

My first Merc, and at this rate, after a further 40,000 happy miles, the first of many!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom