MB number plate backing plates , How do I attach them to the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulE230

Thanks in advance.

Hi Paul,the genuine MB ones are pre drilled to fit all cars and they screw onto the standoff nut in the rear and self tapping screws at the front

Last edited:
Do I get the screws from the dealer or could I just "size one up"
I don't want to do any damage

Many thanks

Paul

Do I get the screws from the dealer or could I just "size one up"
I don't want to do any damage

Many thanks

Paul

They are 6mm x 12mm, though the length is not important. If you can get stainless then so much the better as they are liable to corrode and snap after a couple of years

Its just started raining so I will have to leave it until tommrrow

I think I have found some suitable screws and I am just giving the backing plates a coat of 303 aerospace protectant.
Thanks for your help

Looking at the picture, you have the surrounds that requred the sticky pads to fit the plate on (4 per surround). - about 30p each from your stealers.

Ive got the style like Televisions that clip together £3 from your stealers (unbranded)

I have changed mine now , the picture was not taken for the plate, and its picking up a reflection from the floor

Last edited:
they gave me the sticky pads as well

I think they charged me £6 for the backing plates and the pads

Maybe to late telling you this now, but I found the sticky pad version exposes the plates to water increasing the likelyhood of getting water and then mold between the plate and the backing plastic. The is down to all the edges offering a small channel allowing water to collect between the plate and the surround...

After 1 year of the clip together version, not a single drop as been inside my new plates.

Maybe to late telling you this now, but I found the sticky pad version exposes the plates to water increasing the likelyhood of getting water and then mold between the plate and the backing plastic. The is down to all the edges offering a small channel allowing water to collect between the plate and the surround...

After 1 year of the clip together version, not a single drop as been inside my new plates.
Thats an important bit to me as well,I hate it when water has got in between, as you say the The type that you and I have do keep them nice and very easy to clean

I used a good quality double sided tape on mine as you can tape the complete plate which stops water betting behind them.

Did mine over 12 months ago and they are still well and truly stuck.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but is there a part number for these ?

There isnt one, you dont even need to ask for it. simply ask your dealer for the plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom