MB paint quality???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lotiman

Car
S204 C350 CDi; R171 200SLK; Lotus Evora 400; Lotus Exige V6
Not a moan but more in the nature of a general observation.

We've just spent an enjoyable warm few days in the madcap world that is Las Vegas and outside most of the bigger hotels on the Strip were usually parked several high end cars, most finished in black for some reason and all highly polished.

Car types generally included Rolls Royce, BMW 7 Series, Bentley, Mercedes S Class and very often, a Maybach or two. I couldn't help noticing, though, that on all the S Class and both Maybachs, the paintwork, especially around the rear 3/4 and boot areas was very 'orange peely' in appearance. Having noticed this, I couldn't then help myself but compare with the other marques present and found that each and every one of those had, to my eyes anyway, a perfect paint finish.

Of course, having noticed this at one hotel, and much to my wifes irritation,:p I had to look at the cars parked outside all the others and in every case, the story was the same. The big MB's plus occasional Maybach had a very poor paint finish whereas the other marques were usually spot on.:confused:

What do MB do in the painting/finishing of their cars that others seem to do better?:dk:

My CLS55 had orange peel, not horrendous and not as bad as the majority of current MB but definitely there.

My Lexus on the other hand is orange peel free, maybe something to do with the hand wet sanding it got between each of the 5 layers of paint it received at the factory?

They do seem a bit peely and it's a shame really.

I don't know much about paint tech but I've heard mb laquer is special in some way and don't know if that has something to do with it.

They do seem a bit peely and it's a shame really.

I don't know much about paint tech but I've heard mb laquer is special in some way and don't know if that has something to do with it.

Yes, it is a shame. Much as I love the S Class, I was shocked to have to admit to myself that they just didn't look as classy as some of the other marques. :confused: Mind you, this perception wasn't helped on a couple of the cars by dreadful blingy looking chrome plated after market wheels with rubber band thick low profile tyres. Why oh why do that to a car? :wallbash:

That's Vegas though I suppose.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom