MB returning to fixed service intervals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
I believe they did this in the US a couple of years ago, and now here?

From Oct, most cars will be on 15000mile/1 year service intervals, but not for A & B Class, or AMG models.

http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=218913

Thoughts?

An extra 5000 miles between services for my c class - wonder what the price increment will be?!

1 year? That might upset some people that do basically no miles. Mine gets serviced about every 6 months/12k atm anyway.

B******s was my reaction. Edna's next service isn't due for prob another 6 weeks putting 15/16 months and 12000 miles since the previous one.

What bothers me is the reason - if it's because anything more than a fixed interval is too long and it puts the car at risk then fair enough - but what about us who haven't needed services for longer than their given time span? Does that mean that by following the servicing schedule our cars may have been damaged? Surely if the answer to that question is not the case then what is the justification:confused:

Every 10,000 or so for me, regardless of what the car says it wants.

!Agh! for me that is about 1800 miles between services.

gary

He said the change would make it simpler to check if a car had been serviced properly by checking its history. It would also make it easier for fleet and private motorists to plan their maintenance schedules, Belk added.

Bollocks, what they really mean is that they are going to make more money from servicing. Its expensive enough as it is.

Will the new service regime be applied to cars that already exist (is it possible to do this) or is this just for new cars?

Not surprised. Next generation catalytic converters for both petrol and diesel require low ash oils to be used per the MB229.31 and MB229.51 specs. Drain interval specified for these are 15,000km and 20,000Km respectively, so I reckon 12,500 mile sevices will be the norm.

The original up to 30,000Km oil drain standards were always dangerous unless absolute top quality full synthetics were used and even then that is pushing it. Only reason it was introduced was to enable lower running cost projections for fleet and hire/lease users

Given the huge confusion over oil specs and the costly US problems with engine sludging when sub standard oils were used for too long surprised they stuck with the FSS system for so long. Not a bad idea but flawed.

Bet the dipstick comes back as well so then the whole raft of iffy oil monitoring technology can go in the bin.

Bet the dipstick comes back as well so then the whole raft of iffy oil monitoring technology can go in the bin.

Yes please! Too complicated for its own good IMO.

I do agree with your reasoning regarding the service intervals, but for low mileage users like myself, it'll mean me spending 50% more on servicing as I will have to have the car serviced every 12 months instead of every 18 months. After having spent £1164 on a B service today, I dont really want to go to the dealer any more than I have to.

I guess many people will be in that position - perhaps once the dealers are seeing people more frequently, for an 'annual service', the price will drop?

I'm dreaming, aren't I? :rolleyes:

jeremytaylor said:
Every 10,000 or so for me, regardless of what the car says it wants.

Ditto

Mine is serviced once a year regardless, somethimes it has done 10k last year it was 14k. Assyst bells were not ringing so I guess it was all ok.

I do beleive, however, Mercedes will not make from this, the dealers might, after all they carry out the servicing, or do they pass some of their service income back to Mercedes?

stats007 said:
MB are bringing back ATF as a service item too I believe...

Correct. Had mine done at the last service (just before Xmas).

I think its a step backwards to move to fixed servicing tbh. No one drives their car the same. And I believe the FSS system on the E class is just superb - even if most dealers are too stupid to understand it...

Geoff2 said:
I do beleive, however, Mercedes will not make from this, the dealers might, after all they carry out the servicing, or do they pass some of their service income back to Mercedes?
In the UK, Mercedes own many of the 'big city' dealers.

My take on this is that most consumers didn't understand the concept of flexible service and the telematic systems advising what was wrong / needed servicing. Dealers don't help - when asking for the cost of an "A" service, a single figure would be supplied. I believe (and don't mind being corrected as I never worked on this for MB, only others) that the service type is a time indicator....so an "A" is x mins, "B" is y mins, and so on. The telematics system will indicate which items are required based on a number of factors - these will include standard, fixed service items at time/mileage intervals as well as variable items based on othe factors. Hence, a particular service may vary, as different service items / replacments may be required from one "B" service to another.

Consumers have indicated that they like fixed, menu-type servicing....you may debate whether the cost will go up or down over the lifetime of the car but modelling shows that items may be replaced that aren't required which is not so good for cost or the environment (recycling - esp when OEMs are responsible for that cost).

Pardon my innocence - but does this simply refer to vehicles purchased after Oct 06 (meaning my 2002 C220 CDi will retain its flexible assyst servicing schedule??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom