MB roof bars are the mounting feet interchangeable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris116

Car
w205
Hi all,
Iv’e just bought 2nd hand genuine MB roof box and roof bars for my W205 estate from eBay, the sticker on the roof bars shows the correct MB part No. for the estate but the mounts are totally different to what they should be. Are the mounting feet interchangeable? I wondered if they had been swapped over at some stage as they just bolt onto the rail if so can I obtain the correct mounts rather than buy anther set of bars? I’ve checked the MB accessories website but can only find complete bars.
it seems a bit costly if MB expect owners to buy new bars each time they swap cars.
Many thanks in advance,
chris

Depending on the type of roof bars, it may not just the feet but sometimes the width of the bars themselves that differs.

Easy option in that case would be to sell the old bars on and buy a different set? Someone will want them :)

If you’re certain the part number for the bars is correct, it’s probably worth investigating with your local dealer.

I think the Thule roof bars come separately ie bars and feet packs (to cover multiple manufacturers/models etc) but I’m not sure if MB sell them like this.

I use an MB box with Thule roof bars :cool:

What’s the part number you have btw? I’ve not seen MB selling bars and feet separately before but you never know! :)

What’s the part number you have btw? I’ve not seen MB selling bars and feet separately before but you never know! :)
Hi Will, Thanks for the reply.
I’ve made an error with the part number the number on the bars is A2058900093 I googled this, saw it was for a W205 with the correct model year but.... these are for the saloon hence the wrong feet🤡
The correct part number for the estate is A2058900193 and the feet aren’t available separately. I’m not sure if the bars would be the same for the estate and saloon either but at least l know where the problem lies, very embarrassing! When I collected them the seller never mentioned he had used them on a saloon and we were looking at an estate
Know anyone with a W205 saloon who needs a nice set of roof bars?

Hi Chris,

Stick the roof bars on eBay and keep the box?

Or try a classified on here if you can :)

Then look out for a set of the others or have a look at what Thule can do instead - pretty sure they make the MB ones anyway? :thumb:

I have roof bars that I use on my S205 estate. Will take phots tomorrow to show the feet and will try to add them to this thread. On the estate the bard clamp onto the solid roof rail. I assume on the saloon you will lift a flap and then screw a bolt down into a captive nut under the flap.

I purchased my bars from EBay and could not get the first bars to fit till I checked the part number. Seems that the C Class estate has a slightly different roof shape to the GLC and will not fit. Sold the first set on and purchased the correct ones. Easy to fit and very secure. If you do go the EBay route check the part number as some sellers look at the fitting instructions and see that the leaflet applies to the C Class estate the GLC and from memory the GLA. The person listing the bars then plumps for the car that seems to have the highest demand to get a swift sale even though it’s not the same model as they had used the bars on. The bars are not interchangeable but all three cars have the same method. Of fitting so rather than printing three sets of instructions they just have the one set.

I have roof bars that I use on my S205 estate. Will take phots tomorrow to show the feet and will try to add them to this thread. On the estate the bard clamp onto the solid roof rail. I assume on the saloon you will lift a flap and then screw a bolt down into a captive nut under the flap.

I purchased my bars from EBay and could not get the first bars to fit till I checked the part number. Seems that the C Class estate has a slightly different roof shape to the GLC and will not fit. Sold the first set on and purchased the correct ones. Easy to fit and very secure. If you do go the EBay route check the part number as some sellers look at the fitting instructions and see that the leaflet applies to the C Class estate the GLC and from memory the GLA. The person listing the bars then plumps for the car that seems to have the highest demand to get a swift sale even though it’s not the same model as they had used the bars on. The bars are not interchangeable but all three cars have the same method. Of fitting so rather than printing three sets of instructions they just have the one set.
You’re correct about the saloon and thanks for the tips

Hi Chris,

Stick the roof bars on eBay and keep the box?

Or try a classified on here if you can :)

Then look out for a set of the others or have a look at what Thule can do instead - pretty sure they make the MB ones anyway? :thumb:
That’s the plan matey😃 I’ll get them on eBay

Pressed post before text added!
these are the bars from my S205 estate. No tools needed for fitting. The knob has a clever clutch mechanism which clicks and stops any further tightening when the correct torque is achieved. Looking at the bars there is no way to swap the feet for different vehicles. Each bar has a lockable cover at each end. To avoid using two different keys when I Use my bike rack I changed the MB locks for Thule lock barrels that I had in the garage. Very little noise with the bars fitted an a nice feature to protect the panaramic roof from damage, if you try to open the roof fully two projections from the front feet stop the glass moving and activate the roofs safety feature and lowers the roof. You can leave the roof with just the rear open.

Really good and useful stuff here many thanks for your advice and tips and for taking the time to reply in such depth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom