MB Roof Bars & MB Bike Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
As per my earlier thread I can't fit my MB bike racks to my MB roof rack bars.

If anyone out there has any combination of MB roof bars/boxes/bike carriers I'd appreciate it if you could measure the fittings on what you have to see if it's possible to shed some more light before I schlep off to the local MB parts department and start to confuse the staff with obscure questions....

Having done a bit of measuring, I can now see that the roof bars I have take a 20mm fitting. The bike racks have 25mm fittings.

So I am wondering if there was a switchover at some point. In which case the answer is for me to buy a fitting kit (if such a thing exists) for the 25mm version, find someone with an angle grinder and take 5mm off the lower fixings - that way there will be 25mm fittings above (going into the bike carriers) and 20mm below (going into the roof rack bars).

For reference I've dug out the manuals for all three components I have

MB Bike Carrier - 25mm fittings
The manual is dated 08/95. The car pictured appears to be a C Class (W202) although it's been drawn with 190-style wheel trims. Hmmmm. There is a number (part number?) stamped on the manual - 97012190. Fittings are 25mm wide.

MB Roof Rack Bars - 20mm fittings
The manual is dated 03/98. The cars referred to are C- E-Class estates. There's a docket stapled to the manual with the number 2040290500. Fittings are 20mm wide.

MB Roof Box - 20mm fittings
The manual is dated 05/99. No part numbers of reference to any particular model but as the fittings are 20mm wide it's compatible with the roof rack bars (no suprise as I bought them s/h as a set).

Last edited:
This must be the most boring post ever. Sorry.

If I can stay awake I'll go down to the local Merc dealer on Saturday will all the manuals and parts in my hand.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom