MB Salesman add - on! Yes or No?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seymour

Car
R171
1. Gap Insurance (MB versus private Insurance companies)
2. Paint protection?
3. Wheel Protection?
(This is linked to a purchase of a SLK)

Anything else that should be considered?

Thanks for any information provided.

I've never bothered with GAP - did look once (on a BMW) but I could get it much cheaper on the net

Paint - no, check out "Superguard" on ebay and do it yourself or get a valeter to do it for a fraction of the cost

Wheels - no

Never bothered with GAP insurance, shouldn't need it for the 1st year.

Paint protection, usually around £400. Cost £10 for the kit, and 3 hours to apply. Rip off - use a decent polish every 4 months is better.

Wheels? No idea. What is it?

How much would this package of insurance cost?

Take GAP out if you want. Don't pay any more than £395.

Paint protection? No

Wheel protection? No

Take 1/2 of the money that you would have spent on those 2 and get a full blown Detail with full protection inside and outside.

The Salesman is stating

1. £499 for the Gap for 3 years cover.
2. £459 for the paint protection, ( no future polishing or waxing) for 3 years
3. £499 for the tyres (to cover 3 years) on the basis that you can get free repairs for 10 incidents of required repair on the alloys and 5 replacement tyres during that year.

Offering the 3 packages for the price of £950

As an aside the Slk is being sold to me at the rate of 5.7% over 4 years

getting written off within 1st 3 years is a nightmare for new car buyer. Why? cos your insurance will only pay market value. Even if written off in 1st few months, you comprehensive insurance will pay you back in full but only to invoice (not full market value).

MB gap will pay up to the value of the same car inc all extra's etc etc. So its very comprehensive.

However the whole thing hinges on the very low risk of getting written off.

Its up to you to decide.

Personally on a 45K car which is going to halve in price over 3y, I reckon its a very reassuring thing to have.

Tyre insurance might be worth it if you do lots of miles and regularly get flats. In my previous car I got a flat regularly and they were run flats - ie no repair - new tyre each time at over 300 each. Spent over 2k on tyres in 3y!!! However on my current merc which is not running run flats I would say not worth it

1 and 3 would definately be no's in my book. Its just financial probability.

GAP maybe but then there are other suppliers who are cheaper... there was a lot of coverage about GAP insurance recently... you have to be very careful with the exclusions.

3 x no.

I got new E Class Convertible in May and did:

2 bucket method wash (no spong or leather)
Clay car (AG Clay)
Wash again
Polish car with AG SRP
Wax with AG HD (2 X coats, including wheels)

Muck and dirt now easily come off and water just beads off

3 x no.

I got new E Class Convertible in May and did:

2 bucket method wash (no spong or leather)
Clay car (AG Clay)
Wash again
Polish car with AG SRP
Wax with AG HD (2 X coats, including wheels)

Muck and dirt now easily come off and water just beads off

Good advice about the spong. :)

Spong - definition of Spong by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Agree about the 3 x no. 2 and 3 are just pure rip off. 1 is much cheaper elsewhere.

no to them all for me.

Never insure a risk you can afford to payfor yourself

the gap insurance is only worthwhile if you are financing a large chunk (as in >90%) of the car as it allows you to avoid owing more than your payout if it gets written off in the first few months

I've got MB Paint Guard and wheel protection kit for free (2 bags). Talk to your dealers fellas.

I've got MB Paint Guard and wheel protection kit for free (2 bags). Talk to your dealers fellas.

he isn't talking about a "kit" - it's an insurance policy for punctures and paint repair.

Thanks for all the information, I may get the Gap Insurance, but will shop around for that.
I actually like detailing cars, so I was a bit hesitant about the paint protector, but was willing to bend on the purchase as it's our first 'brand new' buy.
I think I will leave the wheel insurance even though Sussex roads are rubbish!!!

Phew so many questions, so little time!!!

Gap - as the others say, it's for you to decide if it's worth the money or not - I didn't bother.

IMHO, the paint protection isn't worth paying for - it was thrown in 'for free' when I bought my car.

The Salesman is stating

1. £499 for the Gap for 3 years cover.
2. £459 for the paint protection, ( no future polishing or waxing) for 3 years
3. £499 for the tyres (to cover 3 years) on the basis that you can get free repairs for 10 incidents of required repair on the alloys and 5 replacement tyres during that year.

Offering the 3 packages for the price of £950

As an aside the Slk is being sold to me at the rate of 5.7% over 4 years

5.7% ape or flat rate?

1. Gap Insurance (MB versus private Insurance companies)
2. Paint protection?
3. Wheel Protection?
(This is linked to a purchase of a SLK)

Anything else that should be considered?

Thanks for any information provided.

1) I always get Gap insurance from the dealer. It is expensive compared with other policies you can get but easier as it's all arranged with the sale and fairly comprehensive without me having to trawl through other policies to check if they cover the same thing.

2) Again, I always get the protection. My last car was the first I got it on (not an MB) and it was expensive, but compared with the effort of doing it myself I would happily pay over the odds for it. It is very good protection and not only does it keep the car gleaming for years without a hint of polishing, but when someone stubbed a cigarette out on my last car it didn't leave even the slightest mark on the paint.

3) I wasn't offered this, but would have purchased it if the price were right. There are other policies you can get for wheels and tyres so you do have choice, but again the ease of getting it all done at the dealer would make me more likely to choose it from them.

What I would add is that if you do choose Gap then make sure it covers the correct level. There are several types and if buying new I would have it only if covered for back to invoice value.

Didnt bother with any of the 3. I was on a tight budget anyway but I doubt I would have taken any of them even if I had the extra cash lying about. The only reasonable one will be GAP insurance which others are saying you can get cheaper outside. Also worth noting that if by u r insuring with MB you wont need GAP insurance for the first year as they promise to give u a brand new car if yours gets written off in the first year.

Most insurance companies promise to replace the car with new in the first year don't they? Mine does (Direct Line).

So yes, you can save on that but the Gap covers 3 years, so unless you are really tight on the budget then you might as well just buy the Gap in my opinion.

Read the small print with any Gap Insurance as it's not always what it claims to be. I purchased this once and then found there was a claim limit :wallbash: which was much less than the difference between the showroom value and what my insurance company would have paid out had it been written off during year 3, for example.

On paint protection, I've heard tales of dealers charging for it and doing nothing more than waxing or using an over the counter sealant. The web is also full of examples of professional detailers highlighting flaws (swirl marks etc) in so-called 'protected' paint jobs on new cars. Some go so far as to suggest customers request that dealers don't wash their cars during pdi and preparation. There is a new car dealer near me (not Mercedes) where you can clearly see new cars being washed and prepared for customers or display and on that evidence I would say the detailers have a point.

On a different kind of wheel protection, I noticed this:

YouTube - AlloyGator Alloy Wheel Protection System!

If yellow is not your thing, black is an option. I wondered if anyone has tried anything similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom