MB SERVICE PLANS - Dealers random servicing prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Evening everyone, my car is due a spark plug / brake fluid, oil/filter change ( I changed the air cartridge myself and the ATF was done only 3k ago ( electro plate replacement)

Service plan £52.50 x 24 months ( Ex vat ) 3 Services.

My car has only done 600 miles since its last service Nov 13 at MB.

So MB tell me the car needs an A service plus service items brake fluid and spark plugs.. Fair enough I'm going to add fuel filter to.

So without fuel filter MB loughton £666.36

Same MB Oxford £523.24

I've heard of day light robbery, awaiting a call from MB Loughton tomorrow as I have e mailed them and politely asked for a price match.

How can two dealers prices be so different.

Anybody else came across this sort of day light rape!

Thanks

Michael

They are businesses and can charge what they feel their customers will pay. Shop around and make your choice.

They are businesses and can charge what they feel their customers will pay. Shop around and make your choice.

Thanks, in hindsight I think I'm better off without the service plan as I simply don't do the mileage, I know oil degrades etc but every 18 months change with less than 1000 miles can't hurt. Pay for and shop around for service items as and when.

As the car has full MB history is this worth the book its stamped in apposed to a good indi.

As the car has full MB history is this worth the book its stamped in apposed to a good indi.

Only when you come to sell or trade the car . Ask yourself this question : if you were going to buy a second hand car and it had a FDSH as opposed to an indi one , would it give you a bit of assurance that it had been looked after? Not just talking about MB here before we get all the horror stories.

I am £42pm for my 219 over four years and four services , my local recommended indi wasnt much less and when you take into account having to provide your own breakdown service it puts the indi right up there cost wise with the dealer over the same 48 month timescale. Plus my £42 pm is fixed for the next four years whereas the indi`s price will increase over that time decreasing the difference price further.

You pay your money and take your chances with servicing i am afraid.

Kenny

Only when you come to sell or trade the car . Ask yourself this question : if you were going to buy a second hand car and it had a FDSH as opposed to an indi one , would it give you a bit of assurance that it had been looked after? Not just talking about MB here before we get all the horror stories.

I am £42pm for my 219 over four years and four services , my local recommended indi wasnt much less and when you take into account having to provide your own breakdown service it puts the indi right up there cost wise with the dealer over the same 48 month timescale. Plus my £42 pm is fixed for the next four years whereas the indi`s price will increase over that time decreasing the difference price further.

You pay your money and take your chances with servicing i am afraid.

Thanks Kenny, Very well put.

Thanks, in hindsight I think I'm better off without the service plan as I simply don't do the mileage, I know oil degrades etc but every 18 months change with less than 1000 miles can't hurt.

Am I reading that right - the car does 1000 miles over 18mths?

What year is it? If it's on fixed interval servicing then strictly speaking it should be serviced evey 12mths. If you wanted to stay with dealer servicing the only snag with stretching out the interval is Mobilo will cease to be valid. You may not be bothered about that.

Thanks, in hindsight I think I'm better off without the service plan as I simply don't do the mileage, I know oil degrades etc but every 18 months change with less than 1000 miles can't hurt. Pay for and shop around for service items as and when.

I don't think there is anything stopping you booking your service plan services every 18 month. As I understand it, when you have a service plan you still have to ring up the dealership to book a service appointment.

I've experienced the same regarding differing service plan prices between dealers - seems a bit of a scam really!

I like different dealers having different pricing, as it means I can take my business to the one I feel gives me the best blend of price and service.

I've experienced the same regarding differing service plan prices between dealers - seems a bit of a scam really!

The plan will cost the same at every dealership, as that's an MB thing.

Dealers will charge different rates for PAYG servicing - if they didn't, then the dealers could be accused of operating a cartel.

Having said that, in many areas all the dealers are owned by the same holding company so may well charge the same rates.

I've found at the dealership I use for servicing, the price quoted can be reduced, subject to polite coercion...

Same here-I've even got my local dealer to drop 10% off the price of my forthcoming 7+ Value service!

Don't be afraid to ask-main dealers/service managers have targets to meet and they don't want you to go to MB Indys!

When buying the Sl, dealer suggested a service plan at "only £59 a month" which was well worth it "for peace of mind" for car that will do less than 5,000 a year but more like 3-4000. That did not seem a particularly good deal so we didn't bother.

My van, however, was £540 for three services over six years (up to two year service intervals).

Am I reading that right - the car does 1000 miles over 18mths?

What year is it? If it's on fixed interval servicing then strictly speaking it should be serviced evey 12mths. If you wanted to stay with dealer servicing the only snag with stretching out the interval is Mobilo will cease to be valid. You may not be bothered about that.

It's not on fixed annual service intervals, like the newer models. My Mobilo is fully in tact.

I wouldn't take it to MB if I wasn't.

Yes less than 1000 miles per year, I own the car. I have access to two other cars, I'm particularly OCD with preventive maintenance! As with keeping the car spotless and garaged.. seems a waste but it's my choice.:thumb:

When people on here have spoken about this before suggestions of not wanting a loan car or having it valeted reduced the price.
Annual servicing is a rip off. When I looked at the Bi-turbo BMW and Audi they were on milage and Bmw did an up front cost of £460 for 3 years servicing.

Last edited:
When I had an A3 and used to have it serviced at the main dealer, I always smiled when the invoice said "your car has been washed and valeted at no extra charge today".......

When people on here have spoken about this before suggestions of not wanting a loan car or having it valeted reduced the price.
Annual servicing is a rip off. When I looked at the Bi-turbo BMW and Audi they were on milage and Bmw did an up front cost of £460 for 3 years servicing.

They will knock off £50 if you don't want a courtesy car and £20 if you go away and leave the coffee and biscuits! You can get a discount paying upfront ( not service plan ) but they seem from my dealings with MB to offer this discount if you book online!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom