MB servicing and supplying your own oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Does anyone do this? I know it used to be possible with some dealers. Issue is my local MB dealer has one barrel of 5w for all petrol engines but I only use 0w.

Yes, I’ve done this a couple of times before.

For two reasons:

1) You get to choose the oil you prefer (that obviously meets the correct spec for you vehicle)

2) Cost - when you’re paying £12 a litre or whatever it quickly bulks out there cost of a service. £100+ typically when you need 8+ litres. You can buy MB branded oil for a lot less than that online or Mobil 1 from Costco is about £30/31 for 5 litres - so even when buying 10L (2 cans) it’s still a decent saving and you will have a couple of litres left out of that for top ups, better than paying £10-15 for 1L bottles each time and you don’t have to worry about trying to find the same as what was used on the service :cool:

Yes main dealers are often cool with this as long as it meets the required specifications. Don’t be surprised if the price doesn’t fall by the expected amount, as they’ll want to protect their margin - some will give you the full reduction though.

For a while I had a 20 litre drum which I kept at the main dealer and which they used on my cars. I bought it from the parts counter at the same dealer, so it didn’t ever go anywhere! Mercedes oil is very cost effective when purchased from the parts counter.

I've done it a few times but not recently; having over 100 litres in the garage of various viscosities/specs. I'm not too keen on paying top whack for even more. The dealer didn't make any comment, just revised the service price, although it obviously wouldn't work if the car's on a service plan.

Those of us who are on the MB Service Care Plan sadly can't do this.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom