Mb star c3 / c4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SavMan

Authorised Forum Sponsor
Car
E55K AMG
Long story but I will cut it short, loaned out my Kess V2 system to a friend. Friend calls this morning to stay sorry but his flat was burgled and one of the items they took was my Kess system. For those that don't know Kess is a flash remapping system the type the mobile remapping companies use.
To replace it even with a used copy will set me back more than £800 and new about £1500 so thought instead of getting a "cloned" MB Star system which will allow me to do much more on my MB but would also need to be able to change files on the ECU.

So questions I have

1. Will Star allow you to flash a Mercedes ECU with a modified file, I have found mixed info on this.
2. Anyone know the basic differences between C3 and C4 MB Star
3. Anyone know a good supplier, someone they have actually used or know someone who has bought from them.

Thanks

hi paul

1. not that im aware of
2. c4 is wireless and faster and less bulky
3. i can find out for you

Alps

hi paul

1. not that im aware of
2. c4 is wireless and faster and less bulky
3. i can find out for you

Alps

Thanks Alps, I know it can load a file to an ECU as dealers have to do it all the time when a software update is realised. I am just not to sure how controlled it is.

Some updates like BSG module update is done via star, but I've not heard that its used for remapping... :confused:

I cannot recommend supplier of mine system, though sounds you are capable enough to solve xentry timeouts etc. what I suffered (and got zero support from China).

Well I finally got my star system, decided to go with a C3 rather than C4 MP.

Was told that to flash an ECU needs connection to MB Germany so can't see that happening!

I will be using the Eurocharged Euro-Flash software to change maps, which leaves Star for diagnostics.

I spent a week just going thru the basics and running scenarios's offline (great feature) to get to grips with the interface. Having WIS and EPC also helps a lot, I wished I had got it a lot earlier. :thumb:

Who did you get it off? Keep us posted as to how it performs, I'm on the look out for one just don't want to get stung buying a load of crap that dies after a month.

Who did you get it off? Keep us posted as to how it performs, I'm on the look out for one just don't want to get stung buying a load of crap that dies after a month.

I will be sure to let you know how I get on, I will check with the guy that supplied it if he is OK for me to pass on his details. I did have some initial issues getting it working but the support has been really good.

Correct, I have been advised that software updates e.g. for ECU or TCU can only be done with genuine STAR and annual subscription, but not with clone STAR.

Even so, given the need for link to Germany I doubt that if can be used to upload anything other than approved files for the model?

I don't think i would ever attempt to code anything like a Ecu with a cloned unit, I'd imagine the chances of locking out a Ecu would be very high and not worth the risk, I'm after one purely for the amount of systems covered/live data and actuations, my snap on ethos is great but not great when it comes to Mercedes.

Slighty OT:
One Finnish forum member who has sink his teeth into programming of MB, just announced that in latest delphi systems of MB, EGR and DPF can be reprogrammed via star only (no need for remapping)...

Hi Guys,
I am not trying to hijack.. but this is kind of related.

I am quite a newbie to self servicing mercs.

I am considering getting a star.
From what i gather i need,
Star C3,
Xentry software (which version>??)
A dell 630 laptop
And the appropriate cables.

How much should i expect to pay for one?
Also how much would the cables cost (where from?)

How is this incomparison to a Snap On ethos(i presume this works on most cars?)

I know it has been going while for the topic. I advise buy SD Connect 4 which is connected with LAN cable rather than COM-port as Star C3. And pick up Dell 630 laptop if you are new to Mercedes daignosis, because all latest software (current 2015.7V) are pre-installed

Thread revival...

What type of original STAR would be recommended... and where to but it from?

Yes I am toying with the idea :)

Thread revival...

What type of original STAR would be recommended... and where to but it from?

Yes I am toying with the idea :)

Do you have deep pockets?

I'm sure Alfie quoted around £8k?

I am not looking to purchase a knock-off version, the question was regarding an original MB unit.

If the purchase cost is high it could be shared between several members for example?

It might not happen, and I don't have a plan as such, but the first step would be to find-out what model is the 'right' one and how much it costs...

For the amount you would have to pay for a genuine Star system, plus the compulsory yearly updates I think you could go to MB every week and pay max price for a scan and still be better off at the end of the year.

I am not looking for a code scanner.... I want to be able to see what hidden functions (if any) are there, perhaps update some firmware if I'm brave enough... that sort of thing. Getting to know my car a little better. Why? As George Mallory said: "Because It's There".... if you think it's a bad idea then talk me out if it :)

Your best bet would have been a C3 when they moved to C4, although I'm not sure if MB take the old units back? Support would have discontinued so not sure if garages have still got them knocking around? Although it would make a perfect backup device

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom