Mb star c3 / c4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your best bet would have been a C3 when they moved to C4, although I'm not sure if MB take the old units back? Support would have discontinued so not sure if garages have still got them knocking around? Although it would make a perfect backup device

That principle may apply again to the C4 units now that the C5 is available to dealers.

Beware though that the latest standards of software intended for C5 will not necessarily be backwards compatible to earlier version of hardware such as C3.

No discussions about knock off versions pls

Nothing at all? Not even discussion about legal aspects and how bad clones can break the car etc?

I sort of understand you don't want to promote clones but where is the line drawn. Why do we discuss about illegal after market accessories etc?

That principle may apply again to the C4 units now that the C5 is available to dealers.

Beware though that the latest standards of software intended for C5 will not necessarily be backwards compatible to earlier version of hardware such as C3.

Not sure about the UK but in most places PartD units were for sale, SDconnect tools were all leased. I assume we do not discuss about stolen units (that can be original).

I am not looking to purchase a knock-off version, the question was regarding an original MB unit.

If the purchase cost is high it could be shared between several members for example?

It might not happen, and I don't have a plan as such, but the first step would be to find-out what model is the 'right' one and how much it costs...

Which cars do you work with? For Euro5/6 emission level cars there is a less expensive option. Some 3200 Euros per year or even less if you use it infrequently.

If you want to work with old MB models too, the lease price is much higher.

Tools are leased for companies only, not for private use.

Are you a rich MB owner or an average one who has spent most of his money fixing his/her Mercedes?

I am not looking for a code scanner.... I want to be able to see what hidden functions (if any) are there, perhaps update some firmware if I'm brave enough... that sort of thing. Getting to know my car a little better. Why? As George Mallory said: "Because It's There".... if you think it's a bad idea then talk me out if it :)

The genuine tool is much less powerful with hidden functions. At least you should have the permission to change your options within VeDoc which is not for small businesses.

Last edited:
I would be interested primarily in the ability to update software/firmware.

Not sure if I am bold enough to try this with the transmission TCU, but I am sure there are quite a few other ECUs that can be updated.

That, and any features/option available only through STAR.

From what you say it seems that this is a no-go because I'll need and original STAR unit with some sort of online subscription that will cost £££££ and at any rate is only sold to garages?

Setting that aside, does anyone know the exact model or MB Part Number etc for the device?

Nothing at all? Not even discussion about legal aspects and how bad clones can break the car etc?

I sort of understand you don't want to promote clones but where is the line drawn. Why do we discuss about illegal after market accessories etc?

Not sure about the UK but in most places PartD units were for sale, SDconnect tools were all leased. I assume we do not discuss about stolen units (that can be original).

At the very bottom of every page on the forum we have to have a notice to say that we are not part of MB, due to legal actions that MB can and do take regarding their IP, how do you think they would react to us having discussions illegal clones of their software? Not worth the risk.

Last edited:
At the very bottom of every page on the forum we have to have a notice to say that we are not part of MB, due to legal actions that MB can and do take regarding their IP, how do you think they would react to us having discussions illegal clones of their software? Not worth the risk.

Off topic but now you are discussing on the topic just like I expected we should and we could. I didn't ask any permission to support illegal use of MB IP. Perhaps a too pedantic request for clarification though, sorry.

Setting that aside, does anyone know the exact model or MB Part Number etc for the device?

Part numbers for the Xentry Tab and Xentry Connect (a change to Xentry diagnosis kit ongoing though).

Attachments

• Xentry Connect_Tab part numbers.JPG
    Xentry Connect_Tab part numbers.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 25

I can see the forum's stance but the software is the same, just installed on another machine and not by MB so if one was to discuss how to interrogate an ECU, the answer is the same for the clone and the original.

Could we not draw the line on sales/links to hardware/software?

I don't think advising a member to buy a clone over a genuine product is wrong, certainly for personal use. It is the same as buying a pattern part, they are not made by MB and have copied them to make money. Companies like ECP can sell them freely so are we being a bit harsh on the rules of discussion?

I know MB came down hard on JC Rec and if the staff are worried for their own well being it is understandable.

Knock off STAR systems are pirated software, its no different than us talking about ROM files, or Cracked software.

We do not want to risk the forums future when you can find dodgy sites on Google within a minute.

Sites get shut down, ive seen it happen in the past. So again, please do not discuss the illegal version on here.

Last edited:
So this is legit system then? Not an illegal clone?

MB_Star.jpg

It is available online for £600.

What would happen if I bought it.... what would I be missing?

Its the version that should not be mentioned. Its probably more capable of doing certain things(due to Dev mode being made active) than a MB dealer can do though.

You would be missing out on adding details of changes back onto the MB system and support should you do something wrong.

Its the version that should not be mentioned. Its probably more capable of doing certain things(due to Dev mode being made active) than a MB dealer can do though.

You would be missing out on adding details of changes back onto the MB system and support should you do something wrong.

It has an original MB logo - so presumably a legit system? It's on Amazon UK - does not look fake or illegal? Sorry the layman's questions :)

its just a sticker, that system is not genuine, wrong laptop for a start.

You do have a point, I think the picture is generic anyway i.e. it seems that it was downloaded from the Internet and not a photo of the actual product on sale. Will try and get clarification from the seller, as said I am not interested in clones (legal clones or otherwise). But on a general note, even if I don't end-up buying one, it would be good to know what (genuine) models are there and what they can do - if only to satisfy my OCD :)

Sent these questions to the seller:

Its this a genuine MB item, can it be used for ECU software updates, and can it be used to generate SCN codes.

The reply was yes to the second and third questions, but they remained silent on the first question.

So sadly I take it that, as others here suggested, it is a clone.

The search for an original MB STAR unit continues...

Sent these questions to the seller:

Its this a genuine MB item, can it be used for ECU software updates, and can it be used to generate SCN codes.

The reply was yes to the second and third questions, but they remained silent on the first question.

So sadly I take it that, as others here suggested, it is a clone.

The search for an original MB STAR unit continues...

To do SCN Codes, you either need a valid account with MB, or pay for one time access.

An MB Star can only be bought or leased from MB themselves. IT costs around £8832 for the system plus an annual fee of £1560..

To carry our coding you have to get set up with Germany but there is no additional cost.

Still want to buy one?

An MB Star can only be bought or leased from MB themselves. IT costs around £8832 for the system plus an annual fee of £1560..

To carry our coding you have to get set up with Germany but there is no additional cost.

Still want to buy one?

I am not put off by the price, if I can get it shared with other members this might work (assuming no one needs a STAR unit 24x7).

An alternative would be for me to make the initial investment then 'hire' it out to members for a fee in order to help recover the cost.

A 'hybrid' solution would be for a few members here to form a 'Company' and raise the initial investment capital then hire-out the STAR unit to others?

OK, here goes... :D

1. markjay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom