MB - The best or nothing....maybe not any more...

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the old cla had a very basic interior , pound for pound spent it wont deliver what the mondeo does, no way. A well optioned C class has a far better interior than a mondeo but I appreciate it is far more costly. the new CLA has a fantastic cabin in premium plus trim, it is far ahead of the Ford as a place to sit however will still have some hard plastics lower down .

Customers are the real lab guinea pigs.
Should always buy the last MY of a model before it's phased out for something new.

Buy a car that looks out of date next year and has dated technology? But, I understand your point.

the old cla had a very basic interior , pound for pound spent it wont deliver what the mondeo does, no way. A well optioned C class has a far better interior than a mondeo but I appreciate it is far more costly. the new CLA has a fantastic cabin in premium plus trim, it is far ahead of the Ford as a place to sit however will still have some hard plastics lower down .
I remember a time where if you could make a good case for a comparison between a Mercedes and a Ford they’d have come to take you away!

This is precisely why I only own Classic (pre-1998) Mercedes Benz vehicles spanning 3 decades. Nothing made since is anything more than scrap (with few exceptions). If I HAD to purchase a new vehicle today, it would be a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y. Everything else is trying too hard to be green and is already obsolete.

This is precisely why I only own Classic (pre-1998) Mercedes Benz vehicles spanning 3 decades. Nothing made since is anything more than scrap (with few exceptions). If I HAD to purchase a new vehicle today, it would be a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y. Everything else is trying too hard to be green and is already obsolete.

I too am a fan of the old school Mercedes, but Mercedes has made plenty of extremely decent cars since 1998.
I think all manufacturers have core models that are outstanding, but also many niche models that are not so good, Mercedes is no exception. E class C class and S class are extremely competitive cars, as are the premium roadsters and coupes.

However, I saw a bright red CLA with black wheels today and thought why? The A class has no specific Mercedes brand values, and interior screens aside, is quite shitty really, you compare it to Fiat, Mini and even Peugeot and Citroen’s offerings and I wonder why you’d have one apart from blindly following the badge in the front which in that particular case means **** all.

I’m old

Lol I don’t think you’d be too impressed with the build quality of a Tesla then. Have you been in one? They’re on a par with the early stuff from Korea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certainly not defending them but if you're selling a wide range of models, many with super complex suspension set-ups, folding convertible roofs etc etc the result will be more recalls?

The only new car which interests me and doesn't cost really silly money is the Mustang GT

:ban:

The beauty about a MB is that it can always be adapted to suit one’s needs. :doh:
E1385943-AA09-4285-8852-1172C2D1DFFE.jpeg

Lol I don’t think you’d be too impressed with the build quality of a Tesla then. Have you been in one? They’re on a par with the early stuff from Korea!!

Yep, spent time with a Tesla S and it was better built than my A207 and far far more engaging. Materials of less of a quality I'll give but better put together. If Tesla did a 4 seater convertible I'd take one over the Merc.

Yep, spent time with a Tesla S and it was better built than my A207 and far far more engaging. Materials of less of a quality I'll give but better put together. If Tesla did a 4 seater convertible I'd take one over the Merc.

Must be something special with Tesla if they have a better build quality than a Benz?
Yank cars are known to be cheap and somehow plastic-nasty compared to european cars, I guess Tesla is not if it's better than a A207?

Last edited:
Can only echo what’s already been said-mass production/leasing means the 3 pointed star is in most people’s reach now and no longer a premium mark,build quality/reliability isn’t what it was and having owned many mb’s registered between 2000-now my favourite most reliable cars were from between 2007 and 2012-the latest mb’s don’t compare in my honest opinion.

I would almost say that the c class is the proper budget , poor man's, entry level mercedes. the e and s are the proper mercs along with the GLE, gls, g wagon ,AMG GT series etc. Anything that is one man one engine will be generally very nice even on the Entry level A and GLA class.

while ofcourse I appreciate the old school mercs a lot and I'm a fan. driving different gen cars showcases to me just how far the tech has come. new mercs are incredibly safe and yes unfortunately they are buy and dispose of in 4 years cars now and the build quality is not great but that's what the competition is doing too. That said, a merc will still generally be built better than a JLR vehicle. Cant comment on Teslas as I already have a few vacuum cleaners at home so have no interest in the superior game changing tech.

the S class is still the pinnacle in terms of luxury but granted there is a lot to not love about a new benz , including the fact that they dropped the name "benz" from the name which is a shame in of itself.

I'm certainly not defending them but if you're selling a wide range of models, many with super complex suspension set-ups, folding convertible roofs etc etc the result will be more recalls?

The only new car which interests me and doesn't cost really silly money is the Mustang GT

:ban:
I ordered a brand new 2018 Mustang GT The build quality was shocking. It filled up with rain water! After 3 months and 25 days at the dealer it was supposedly fixed. Check engine lights, badly fitting panels and loose bits I could put up with but when it filled with water again I sold it into the trade. Flat Rock makes some terrible cars, let the buyer beware!

Darn, hope you didn't lose too much :( I'm not entirely surprised - I rented a Ford Fusion (basically a Mondeo) a few months ago and couldn't believe how bad it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom