MB to target younger drivers with Financial Services

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted96908

Had a quick look at the Daimler 2015 Q3 Interim Report here.

And a couple of things that caught my eye from DC Financial Services (my emphasis)

Double-digit growth in new business in Europe
In the Europe region, new business increased compared with
the prior-year period by 16% to €6.3 billion. Growth rates were
particularly strong in Spain (+65%) and the United Kingdom
(+28%).

Daimler Financial Services anticipates significant growth in
new business and contract volume in the year 2015. This will
result from the growth offensives of the automotive divisions,
the specific targeting of younger customers, the expansion
of business especially in Asia, and the further development of
our online sales channels.

--

I guess some of the above FS growth will be down to the VW situation, but that doesn't explain the variance in the UK or Spain versus the rest of Europe does it? I wonder also how young young means. College kids? I know Audi have been pushing base A1s at students - my daughter's trainee doc BF drives one. I used to have a s/h bike!

:rolleyes:

+

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you seen the current MB advert on TV?

My sis and bro in law reported that having spent a morning shopping at the Oracle in Reading there is an MB shop there with Formula One simulator, Smarts, A class, GLA? and very young staff in jeans etc.

The above merely confirms the drift, MB wants the yout and is going after it.

Mercedes should leave the making everything for everybody to VW and Toyota, and go back to what it was good at.

My sis and bro in law reported that having spent a morning shopping at the Oracle in Reading there is an MB shop there with Formula One simulator, Smarts, A class, GLA? and very young staff in jeans etc.

Reflected at times on the forum too.

They're going down market...my newly qualified daughter can afford one. That wouldn't have been the case if she'd just qualified in the same profession 30 years ago.

latest

You got to love these threads.

Hate to say it guys, but looking at your cars and their ages I don't think Mercedes would still be in business if they kept producing metal to keep you happy.

I include myself in that.

I include myself in that btw, there is not a great deal from Mercedes I like at the moment when it comes to new cars.

For the past few years I have preferred the look and feel of the outgoing model to the new. This is evident from my choice of a 2009 W211 rather than a 2008 W212, however, I do find that the new models grow on me over time. For example I like the look of the facelifted W212 and have a feeling that the facelifts of nearly every MB look great compared to the pre-facelifts.

So, being tight-fisted I will always drive an outdated motor. It's a good job that the feckless youth can afford the new ones and the depreciation that comes with it, I know my place.

That advert really is a shocker though, it reminds me of a cheesy corporate powerpoint presentation that HR for some second rate finance company have been using on induction day one for the last 10 years.

Have you seen the current MB advert on TV?

No, but you and R12ts have not whetted my appetitie for it.

My son tells me they're on campus too, gentle brand building and recruitment.

Mercedes should leave the making everything for everybody to VW and Toyota, and go back to what it was good at.

This doesn't give me confidence either. From last week's Autocar >>

I like seeing youngsters here. They seem more tolerant than many of the older members - me included.

They're going down market...my newly qualified daughter can afford one. That wouldn't have been the case if she'd just qualified in the same profession 30 years ago.

Some of the deals are crazy. I saw £200 down and £200 a month for something German the other day. Forget what it was but it seemed pennies for the quality on offer.

I include myself in that btw, there is not a great deal from Mercedes I like at the moment when it comes to new cars.

I'd go a little further. Apart from the odd well specced (color combo) big AMG, and the S Coupe (but only if living outside London), I've not seen anything to get me anywhere near a showroom.

The last car that really caught my eye (as in I'd buy it off the page) was the Bentley Speed 6? Concept.

2015-Bentley-EXP-10-Speed-6-Concept-Studio-2-2560x1600.jpg

For the past few years I have preferred the look and feel of the outgoing model to the new.

I think in most cases it's change for change's sake. Not just MB though - I gave up tracking A4 and 3 Series model changes years ago. Even the 911 is not safe it seems.

+

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a case of adapt or die.

Aston Martin is the perfect example of a high end vehicle manufacture whose products are coveted that used to lurch from one insolvency to the next.

MB needed to expand it's range to incorporate some entry level vehicles that traded on it's traditional value. Sounds like a sensible business model to me.

I thought the plan was to get the rich ones into Mercedes and the young and penniless scum into smart cars?

MB seem to have lost their way a bit, far too many models, all of which are sold on pcps to people who can't really afford a Mercedes, all the while relying on the Chinese market and the Brics to bring in genuine revenue.

MB has had an aim for at least a couple of years to double sales volume by 2020 - they're shooting for 2.7M cars.

MB has had an aim for at least a couple of years to double sales volume by 2020 - they're shooting for 2.7M cars.

The nose diving Chinese economy can't be helping that plan?

I think this is a case of adapt or die.

Aston Martin is the perfect example of a high end vehicle manufacture whose products are coveted that used to lurch from one insolvency to the next.

MB needed to expand it's range to incorporate some entry level vehicles that traded on it's traditional value. Sounds like a sensible business model to me.

I think you are dead right, that's exactly what they are doing. Time will tell whether VW's multi-brand approach works better - although I guess memories of Maybach still looms large in MB's planning.

Given that MB shareholders will be screaming for profit, and lots of it, which market do you think that they should aim for?

Hybrid?
Quality?
Volume
Other income?

Given that MB shareholders will be screaming for profit, and lots of it, which market do you think that they should aim for?

Hybrid?
Quality?
Volume
Other income?

Acquisitions?
Aviation?
Marine?

Space?

Three pointed star would look good on the moon.

What about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom