MB vehicles that you have purchased that have over exceeded your expectations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
As the title, MB vehicles that you have purchased that have over exceeded expectations? For any particular reason or multiple reasons.

I have owned 3 in my lifetime. But 1 has really become a true favourite.

My S212 has proven to be even better than I thought it would be for what I mainly bought it for. I.e fully laden long distance touring, latterly with a Westfalia tow ball bike rack. Its just so comfortable and effortless. Running/repair costs have been disappointing but i still love it.

I loved my W163 ML350 even though the internet said it was poo , I think I sold it 2015 ish with 85k on it ...seems its still on the road now about with about 145k as far as the online MOT check says..
IMG_3776.JPG

My first E55k. The W210 E55 was noticeably quicker than the Saab Aeros (9000 and 9-5) that preceded it, but the 55K was a whole new ballgame...

Current c207 with the petrol V6 is better than I hoped.

Yet the lowly 53 reg c class coupe 220cdi I had was so much better than I expected (at the time)
And when I got the hang of it, I enjoyed slamming the sequential gearbox up and down back in the day

In order of purchase I'll comment on. W211 E55k. I'm not sure where to start. The overall package is quite something even at over 10 years old of my purchase. If I had to pick one thing I liked the most, would be the ride quality, it's been said many times, it's like a magic carpet. My only negative towards the car would be amount of gears within that box. We know the torque is somewhat a special feature of the car but for longer journeys I always felt it lacked a 6th or even 7th gear. I've only experienced the 7 speed box with the CLS 350. Some niggles I had with that also. But the 350 didn't make it into my exceeded list as it had to many negatives for me personally.

S211 E320 CDI still currently joint own. The room of the car is astonishing, it can carry almost anything and go anywhere. W
It has a bundle of uses. The 320 CDI engine has to be experienced, it's quite something. Again, I haven't driven a s211 with a 7 speed box. But I dont feel the need for an extra gear or two with the S211 E320.

W212 E63 Pre facelift. The carracter of the engine is a favourite of mine. The room in the car is ample, the ride quality is a mix of sporty and comfort, not as magic carpet as the E55K is set up, but it makes up for that with its handling capabilities, for such a big car it can be thrown around if needs, and does it with such ease which is quite remarkable for its weight and size. Like the above was over 10 years old when I purchased mine, can't imagine what a new one is like. But for me it still feels so tight and so we'll put together, like a tank on one hand but with a missile in the other ready to deploy at a second. Then there's the seats, the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. And last of all the exhaust sound the car produces, it's a exhaust sound that no other V8 can make, for my liking it's exactly spot on. Other gadgets are also so welcoming. When I purchased this car over two years ago I was hoping/thinking It intrigues me as much as the 55k did. For me it has done and I am so pleased I did. All special to me but the w212 E63 6.2 is a favourite.

Another one for the W163. I was in a spot where I needed a replacement tow car ASAP and this one was available and cheap. As previously said the general consensus is that it was the worst car Mercedes had made (up to that point) so expectations were low. It has taken us on many caravan holidays around Europe in the last 5 years and despite being replaced as tow car last year we still have it for the wife's commute as its at a rubbish car park and we are not precious of the bodywork (what is left of it). It's comfortable, well spec'd and really very driveable after a remap.

Has to be the first Mercedes I ever bought, my beloved W202 C36 AMG, At the time it was an absolute beast (even if it did only have just shy of 300hp). It exceeded my expectations by being the single most reliable car i'd owned up until that point, in fact its beaten other cars i've owned since in that area and it never once let me down with unexpected work or problems.

A car sorely missed!

Two for me.

My 190E cost me £850 in 2005. I bought it as a "throwaway" commuter car to keep the miles off my E-class. It was immaculate, with just 80k miles from new and even had factory-fitted cruise control. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and a good motorway cruiser. No wonder prices have jumped so much now. It's still registered and MOTd and I wish I'd never sold it.

The other is my current CLS500 SB. I had very high hopes for it when I bought it and it has far exceeded them all. I am at a loss to imagine what I could ever replace it with, so it is nursed in the hope that it will last another 30 years or so!

I would like to experience either the w163 or w164.

I prefer the newer shape of the 164, but my budget would just get me into an early 164 model.

A late 163 with some exterior mods could be a option.

I won't be rushing into anything, but it's definitely an MB vehicle I would like to own at some stage.

My SL320 2000. For what i paid and the little work required to sort it, it was a bargain.

I’ve only had one....my 2008 CLK350 Sport cab. Which I have kept waaaay longer than I ever imagined. I love the car so much it’s become a permanent member of the family. We will never sell it unless it just implodes and is uneconomical to repair. What I love about it is the timeless design which still draws admiring glances when parked on the drive. Which is some feat for a £5k convertible. And I have always been impressed by the way it drives. I expected it to be a wallowing old barge but it is much much mor composed than you would imagine. It’s not a three series, but talhays no bad thing. It’s also been very reliable overall. So much so that we will be replacing our Audi with something from the Mercedes stable in due course.

Our current C Class is by far the best car we’ve ever owned. It’s definitely exceeded all our expectations that we had since dreaming about the 205 shape when it was first on the roads back in 2014 (?) I really can’t think of a single thing we don’t like about it. 👍

After four years, I still really love my S212 E500.

It's just so good at so many things. Compared to the S211 version which I had before, it's much faster, it's much pointer, the (Sports) brakes are immense, the hush in the cabin is even better. The cornering bi-Xenons are a revelation and Distronic is the single most relaxing optional extra I've ever used. Also, I didn't realise how much I'd love having a dark metallic blue car - I now have two.

In summary, I expected it to be a bit better that the one I had before - still pleasantly surprised at how much better it actually is.

The 212 is quite something, it has grown on me. It has a perfect road comfort quality as in it can be sporty if needed but has that laid back feel to it. The sound proof of the interior is quite something.

I've just got rid of a C32 AMG, after having enough of 250 miles between refills. Bought myself a E320 CDI. I thought it seemed pretty good for it's 173000 miles on the test drive. But now after a week of driving, I really can't believe how great this car is. It is making me think, IF I'd known about this car when looking for the AMG, I would have bought the E class without a doubt. It's incredible. Fast, frugal and super comfortable. Huge boot and a super cruiser. I am over the moon with it.

The first 190E I had new in 1992. So solid. Got me hooked on MB.

CLK 200 when first launched. Loved the shape.

CLK320 cabrio. Got me into Comand. Smooth and effortless cruising.

The C55. Stunning wolf in sheeps clothing. That engine!

The SLC300 just purchased. Stunning colour, stunning performance.

The others didnt disappoint, these just stick out as favourites..

The CLK 500 i recently purchased, I'm totally in love with it, Smooth quiet comfortable and relaxing place tobe, Great ride plenty of go great Mpg and dead pretty to look at!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom