mb Vito 108 cdi advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
Hi could anyone give me the good and bad bits on this van..s it timing chain or belt etc....service intervals ...I am sure the engine must be the same as one that goes into one of the mb saloons ?? Mpg etc.... Many thanks to anyone who can help

Pete:)

110CDI Vito

I have had my 2000 110 Vito for 4 years now. It is still only on its 2nd set of tyres at 95,000 miles and still drives really well. It has pulled a caravan to race meetings and is far better at that than any big estate car I have ever had.
Unfotunatly it is now on its third set of injectors, and when one goes down the ECU shuts the van down and you are stuck. Its stranded me on 4 occasions, the only vechile to do this in 30 years.
My other Mercs have given no trouble, but this van, otherwise a really good tool, just eats injectors. I have had some help from Merc service, but we still have not really got to the bottom of it. The injector is a common Bosch part and I have heard pf similar tales on Transits and Sprinters. I think I really have got a rougue one!

petef said:
I am sure the engine must be the same as one that goes into one of the mb saloons ??

I can't be of much help the only complaints I have heard about is in regard to the injector klife!

I was intrigued by your statement about it must be the same engine as goes into one of the mb saloons?

I suppose the basic 'lump' might well be the same BUT... the Vito your talking about produces approximately 80bhp, compared to the latest EU4 compliant C200CDI that allegedly produces 122bhp

The A-class 160CDI has a 2 litre engine that produces 82bhp but is that a genuine Mercedes-Benz designed engine?

The very latest Vito is a 109CDI which actually produces 88bhp and is the OM 646 DE22LA 2148cc Mercedes engine whewww. The bigger Vito has exactly the same engine but produces more bangs for the buck!! :D

Technical talk for saying the new Vito 115CDI has the same engine but produces 150bhp!

These remarks apply to early variants, same engine, but different bhp :)

Regards,
John

Thanks....hmmm feel safer with a ford I think........dunno...I meant the basics of the engine John ! Surely even you didnt tink I was dat daft did thee.!!!!! x

petef said:
Thanks....hmmm feel safer with a ford I think........dunno...I meant the basics of the engine John ! Surely even you didnt tink I was dat daft did thee.!!!!! x
:) I use to have a Ford Transit as my main means of transport. There is NO doubt in my mind whatsoever that the Sprinter was a completely different generation type van. The Vito is a smaller vehicle, is there a similar sized Ford option? I would unreservedly recommend the Mercedes against any of the opposition. Go for it but be selective there will be the vehicle out there with all the options you want. Rear door for example, door or tailgate? Windows, seats, doors etc.

John

petef said:
Hi could anyone give me the good and bad bits on this van..s it timing chain or belt etc....service intervals ...I am sure the engine must be the same as one that goes into one of the mb saloons ?? Mpg etc.... Many thanks to anyone who can help

Pete:)

Good points:

Lots of doors, quick, drive like cars.

Bad points:

Injectors, seized glow plugs, siezed injectors, injector seals, cv joints, build quality, rust...

:) Thanks for the replys.....I am out looking today. I need one with a sliding side door. Iam toying with the merc, but this is purely on being image conscieous and sending out the right message to clients ( I am starting my eldest up in a small buisness me being a sleeping partner ..zzzzzzzzz ). I mean does anyone even think people notice the badge on a van or they just see a van...and is promoting the right image more about it being new and clean, instead of brand ? The options out there are very competitve. The new vans today are like cars...not like my old 1979 blue mini van, with side sliding front windows and tinny doors...oh how I loved that van...I have no means of finding out how vans depreciate in value though ....I havent searched WH Smiths or Borders yet which I need to do for a suitable guide which I am sure is available. :)

petef said:
:) Thanks for the replys.....I am out looking today. I need one with a sliding side door. Iam toying with the merc, but this is purely on being image conscieous and sending out the right message to clients ( I am starting my eldest up in a small buisness me being a sleeping partner ..zzzzzzzzz ). I mean does anyone even think people notice the badge on a van or they just see a van...and is promoting the right image more about it being new and clean, instead of brand ?
I can only offer a very personal opinion on this.

I believe a clean, polished, smart looking vehicle with very nice sign writing speaks volumes! It could be the owner is unkempt, unprofessional, and a cowboy, but a dirty van, rusty and not looked after tends to have a similar type owner. I apologise if I have offended anyone, but my builder has a Sprinter that fits the first example, there is a builder working two doors away with a Transit that again fits into the first category just like mine both are regularly washed and polished. Neither have ANY rust and both are eye catching.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom