MB warranty worthwhile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigel cross

MB Enthusiast
Car
W164 ML350 Audi S4
Just had a quote for my 2009 ML tier 1 warranty renewal, £814.00
Is it worthwhile?
Or is it just another expense so I can sleep in my bed without ?

I would ask you :

Whats your annual mileage?
What issues have you had to date with the car?
Wat is the cost of likely component failure - ie gearboxes, turbos etc are normally good. So that leaves modules like GP, SAM, etc which are common failure points i think but only £100-250 to replace. So in one year they would all need to fail to cover the cst of the warranty?
Presumably the Tier1 doesnt cover consumables, discs, pads, tyres, non standard fluid changes?

What is the value to you for peace of mind?

I personally would never touch extended warranties from third parties, worthless! But main dealer like for like - seems expensive but depends on preference i guess.

Just my tuppence worth.

Have renewed my tier 1 warranty three times, last time at just over 1K. The cost of the warranty has so far been less than the parts replaced.

My view: Personal choice I'm afraid. Hindsight can be a terrible thing too :)

Always a tricky decision - either bank the £800 towards the cost of any repairs over the year, or pay it for peace of mind.

What's the worst case bill & how likely is it to occur? If it did happen, could you pay for it / what's the financial impact?

I had tier 1 for 2 years on my 6 yr old E55 W211 and it paid for itself by and large (alternator failure was the biggest). But the premium got silly (£2500), so I stopped it 15months ago.

Out of interest, is that £0 excess on that price?

That was with 0 excess
it was £750 with 100 excess and £650 with £250 excess, but the salesman said that the excess was per claim

You may know this already, but you can get the prices for the various levels of cover (tier 1, 2 and driveline) & excesses online: https://www.mercedes-benzwarranty.co.uk/

The premiums with the excesses never seem cheap enough to me, always makes the £0 excess option look the most attractive

Like any insurance policy, it's invaluable if you need to claim, but itcan feel like a waste of money if you never need to use it. Only time will tell which way it will work out for you.

I extended Tier 1 on our ML63 back in September - I feel like I need two full years with a car to flush out issues and really get to know a car, but the premium will double next year, and that will make e think harder!!

Bear in mind that Tier 1 is available up to 100,000 miles, but when the odometer turns to 60,000 miles the premium doubles...

Last edited:
Have a look at warrenty direct e320 covering everthing even if it fail on mot even covers WEAR AND TEAR £700 but dropped to £500 worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom