MBD Access problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I wonder if anyone can help. I run a data base piece of software which I have for years input all my clients details into. Basically the software I use under a monthly licence is coming to an end to be replaced with something web based that I don't like. The provider either wants me to pay £75 pm to keep going with a product I dont want or for £350 they will extract my clientsdetails and documents onto a disc!
I have found the database files but it says I don't have the necessary permissions to access my own data............is there anything I can do to retrieve the documents locked in the database??

Sounds like you need to trawl the usergroups for how to crack it. What's the software?

Just had a thought, have they given you the web-based version to try yet? If they have you might be lucky and find a connection string hidden somewhere in one of the webconfig files. If they're at all professional this should be encrypted, but you never know you might get lucky.

Last edited:
I believe I once knew how to do this.

Had a similar problem with a database we were supplied with for a bid a while back, I sure I cracked it with a quick google and some fiddling (customer later supplied the legit info).

It's coming back to me now (digging deep into ther gray matter) - google for mdb password and you'll find plenty of cracking tools e.g. most are shareware and won't give you the full password until you pay up - but show you some of the digits instead. Try a couple of different ones and you can get most of the digits - if it's phrase/name you can fill in the blanks. (I'm sure there's something else about the way you open it as well.)

I downloaded some tools and can get past the pastword but I still "don't have the necessary permissions":( Any ideas?

hmm , what version of windows?

can you right hand click on your my computer and go into manage , go into local users and groups and click on the users folder and expand it down.

in there , does the software have a user account?

R2 I would be happy to have a go at extracting the data for you.
If you want me to let me know and I will PM my email address.

can you right hand click on your my computer and go into manage , go into local users and groups and click on the users folder and expand it down.

in there , does the software have a user account?

I never knew this area of the computer existed but sadly their is no user account for it:(

R2 I would be happy to have a go at extracting the data for you.
If you want me to let me know and I will PM my email address.

Thanks for the offer. Is this your line of work then?

I never knew this area of the computer existed but sadly their is no user account for it:(

ah well , i was wondering if they created another user and reset the file permissions. not to worry. ill keep thinking.

Thanks for the offer. Is this your line of work then?

Sort of, I do anything and everything with PC's and use MS Access a lot.
I have PMed my email address if you would like me to try.
You would need to zip the file first as my mail server wont accept database files as attachments.

Have a look here

I suspect the database has permissions within it for "appliaction" users - add youself to the admins group with the tool and you should (well may) be away.

Thankyou for all the input. Stevesey-the software couldn't open the database. The software that the data is held in has split the data up in to 100s of mdb files. i can only find one mdw file but the software (all of the different ones I've tried) Can't open the files but it would appear that the two big database files are not password protected, I presume they are permissions protected only. Anyone know how to read the MDW file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom