MB's on ebay - expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tintin

I've just been looking at MB's on ebay - just looking, bit too scared to buy one from there. I was struck by how expensive they seemed compared to those on Auto Trader. I know that a Buy It Now price may be optomistic, and the auction could end a lot lower, but some of them seemed to be £2k more than you can get the same car in AT. Maybe it's due to regional differences - maybe cars are cheaper here in the North West? The other thing I thought was that maybe the bargains are in older cars, not the £5k range. I know there are bargains on ebay, but I couldn't spot any tonight.

Ebay seems to be populated by chancers, when it comes to mercs. They don't seem to sell that well, either. North west is certainly cheaper for some types of car, but ebay doesn't seem that regional.

Autotrader seems a better bet...what are you looking for?

Colin.

I have been thinking about a CLK for around £5k. I want to swap my boring Mitsubishi for something that makes me smile when I get in it. Just looking at the moment - husband has recently been applying for other jobs and if he gets one then car plans may have to change. We parked next to a 'T' reg one today, actually - very smart in silver, then I spotted a rusty wheelarch. He is more amenable to getting an older MB saloon I think, say mid 90's, than a coupe. I am still getting my head around the different models to be honest, and the question as to which ones are reliable and which ones rust.

My Mitsubishi Carisma is very dull, but has only let me down once in over five years (and then Mitusb went halves on the repair beacuse the car was less than 5 years old). I need a car that is exciting, reliable and will not give me too much trouble for the 4 or 5 years that I want to keep it. Common sense says get a newish Colt for around £5k, but they (and most other modern small cars) are dull - there are no modern small/family cars that I like. I would rather buy used and have an interesting car as I only do around 5k miles a year.

Ah, exciting and reliable_ don't often go hand in hand:) Tough choice. A newish mitsu is sensible. Depends what you want, really...performance, size, badge, etc. 5k a year means you don't have to worry too much about fuel consumption.
Don't rush, it is a buyers market:)

Ebay seems.... Well I cant quite work it out at the minute. some sell some don't some cheap some extortion. As a seller I think it depends if you are selling the right spec at the right time. Be it a buyer or seller it seems luck of the draw. I would rely on autotrader as the fair bet for the price you can expect to pay. Then naturally if the correct model / spec comes along on ebay I would expect to pay slightly more. Just depends how long you are willing to hold out for your desired model.

Last edited:
Ebay isn't "all that" when it comes to cars.

I'm certain the vast majority of cars don't sell unless they are cheap - meaning trade book value or less.

I sold my last 2 cars on ebay - and got trade money for them.

Searched for months for my merc on ebay - ended up buying out of Auto Trader for £500 over trade price.....but got the exact spec i wanted !!

However, i did find my other halfs Cat D Fiesta on ebay. Again, it took months to find the exact spec but, as it was "buy it now" i had to make a quick decision and trust that it ended up being as described.

Colin - you are right, unless you are looking for a very specific model, there is always another car along later. I am torn I guess between practicalities and having a car that I enjoy driving. I love old Saab 900 turbos, but no abs, no air bags, usually no air-con, means they are a bit impractical with two children. Not so keen on the later Saabs, and we have a 9-5 already.

I'll keep reading and researching. I might end up with something totally different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom