MBS Service today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
Huge thanks to Cole and Carl for the service done today on my E55 at MBS in Southampton. It seems every time I take the car in, there is a problem of some kind that prevents a straightforward job being done. Not the fault in the slightest of MBS I would add. First time was a new,but faulty heat exchange valve that is a swine to fit and had to be done twice. Then last service with new discs and pads, the caliper had corroded and was causing big problems fitting the pads. Then I arrived today.

I needed the usual oil and filter change, a once over by Cole which revealed a few items that will need addressing sooner than later, an ATF and filter change, and new plugs.........all 16 of them:shock:

The engine oil and ATF changes went as planned although it was noted that the condition of the ATF was very poor, possibly never changed during its lifetime as nothing is recorded in the service book regarding ATF changes. Going to revisit in the summer and have it done again as the torque converter had no drain plug, so only half got changed out. What a dismal design not being able to drain the TC on some cars.

Then the problem started. Carl took over the job of changing the plugs as apparently that is one of his better tasks, but it quickly became clear the plugs were going to be a devil to remove. They were literally seized in, despite the service book showing a change at 59k miles and again just before I bought it at 98k miles. (It's now on 115k).
Carl managed to get 7 out, but the others weren't having it. Afraid of stripping the threads or worse still one snapping and requiring the head/s removed (thats an engine out job) it was decided to soak them in a plus gas type spray and leave them for a while.
An hour later, Cole tried his luck and it was no go. So, the 7 removed plugs replaced with and the new ones, the coil packs replaced and the engine run up to temperature to get some heat into the plugs.
Yay, 30 mins later, one side has been done, and the engine fired up again to heat the others up.
Needless to say, this worked and checking the plugs that had been removed it was unanimous that these were the original plugs from build back in 2004.
So much for one indy (not one ever recommended on the forum) and one local garage (my only two non MB services before I bought it) changing those plugs.
The previous owners paid for new plugs that weren't fitted.
So, unless you see them being done, or you have complete trust in your indy, never rely on a job being ticked as done.
I would add that every indy recommended here would have my complete faith all work paid for would be done.

So another service done and massive thanks again to Cole, Carl and MBS for great hospitality and excellent work.
Maybe I was imagining it, but the engine seemed far smoother when accelerating but that could be me expecting it to be better.

Attachments

• 20180110_135049[1].jpg
    20180110_135049[1].jpg
    850.7 KB · Views: 24
Good result there Roger! Nice to know you can trust them :)

^ MBS have doing my servicing since my first MB in 2003 Gav. Wouldn't go anywhere else unless really necessary.

Good stuff that you got there in the end. ^
Nothing worse than something seized or snapped that results in all sorts of extra work.

That's the thing with garages, there are just so many that can't be trusted, I know for a fact that jobs (cabin filter) that should have been done by the main dealer on some of ours were simply never done due to the low mileage even though we were charged!

Your original plugs have done very well to last 115k, I'm not surprised it seems to be running better!!
Great result getting them out intact, I know from bitter experience about having one snap off in the head, and worse still the Honda garage then tried to drill it out with the head in-situ, you can guess the outcome.
Nice to have a garage you can trust.

So, unless you see them being done, or you have complete trust in your indy, never rely on a job being ticked as done.
I would add that every indy recommended here would have my complete faith all work paid for would be done.

That’s why I only use WG, I have 100% trust that T always does the job perfectly.

It’s nice to be able to know the jobs being done properly isn’t it? :D

Abs

Blimey Roger
Those must have been decent plugs from new!

Did Carl have any of his noisy side line business motors in there today?

Blimey Roger
Those must have been decent plugs from new!

Did Carl have any of his noisy side line business motors in there today?

They were very worn out Bosch plugs Jonathan. The new ones have definately improved the performance.

Carl was jumping between MBS work and rebuilding that V8 Vauxhall motor. He's still struggling with a recent illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom