MBUX Sat Nav - routing round a road closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CoopsSA

Car
EQC400 - Spectral Blue
Had an appointment this morning so set the sat nav to better judge the time - it was from one side of Leicester to the other.

The MBUX routed initially with an ETA, but then for the entire journey it was showing a "no entry" symbol with no ETA:

20220225_085727.jpg

At no point did it attempt to offer a re-route to avoid the perceived road closure. I know the roads in the area and without much working out, there were at least 5 options to avoid the closure. As it happens, there was no road closure anyway and I drove straight through. This is the 2nd time it's happened.

Is this normal or just a setting?

Is this normal or just a setting?
What is your default route setting? Check that you have the Dynamic route guidance option selected: (in Navigation, Settings>Advanced>Dynamic route guidance>Automatic)

What is your default route setting? Check that you have the Dynamic route guidance option selected: (in Navigation, Settings>Advanced>Dynamic route guidance>Automatic)
Will check again, had a look but couldn't see that option.

Had a full check and I don't appear to have that setting available in the EQC.

Seems a bit odd. It has rerouted before due to delays, in fact it did it last night as J23 M1 was stationary so it rerouted via J22. So it must have some dynamic ability?

Can't see that there'd be any difference between an EQC MBUX and other MB models.

Had a full check and I don't appear to have that setting available in the EQC.
Very odd. I've never seen an MB navigation system that doesn't have the ability to turn Dynamic Route Guidance on or off.
Seems a bit odd. It has rerouted before due to delays, in fact it did it last night as J23 M1 was stationary so it rerouted via J22. So it must have some dynamic ability?
It sounds like it does have the dynamic option set on, which makes your original problem more more puzzling.

Very odd. I've never seen an MB navigation system that doesn't have the ability to turn Dynamic Route Guidance on or off.

It sounds like it does have the dynamic option set on, which makes your original problem more more puzzling.

Done some more digging.

If I switch the "Electric Intelligence" option OFF, then the ability to switch on Dynamic routing becomes available.

Electric intelligence offers the sat nav to calculate with charging stations considered and the state of the battery, routing to charge if necc.

For now I've switched it off and dynamic on as I don't do the mileage to warrant needing to charge mid journey.

Guess the question is whether EI also has Dynamic embedded?

Does the manual shed any light on that?

A quick read suggests:

The route with Electric Intelligence uses the following data:
  • Online Route
    Route calculation establishes an Online Route.
    The Online Route is continuously updated during the journey, e.g. if traffic information is available.
  • Specific vehicle information for Electric Intelligence
    The current charge level of the high-voltage battery and electrical consumption are taken into account, for example.
  • Charging stations
    These are made available as intermediate destinations in the Online Route

This seems to suggest that it is updated with traffic information.

Put a route in this morning and immediately noticed a difference - am now given options as to which route to drive (didn't before, it just selected a route automatically). Battery % remain at destination is also now not displayed in the top right of the screen (alongside the arrival time etc).

The route with Electric Intelligence uses the following data:
  • Online Route
    Route calculation establishes an Online Route.
    The Online Route is continuously updated during the journey, e.g. if traffic information is available.
That does imply that it's using external info (traffic, etc.) to dynamically vary the route in a similar way that Dynamic Route Guidance would, but the issue mentioned in your original post suggests that there is something flaky with the routing algorithm when it has to choose between traffic holdups / road closures and the provision of charging facilities / optimising battery consumption.
Put a route in this morning and immediately noticed a difference - am now given options as to which route to drive (didn't before, it just selected a route automatically).
That's pretty much like how MBUX works on ICE vehicles.

If my hunch is right, it would be worth reporting the routing issue you had originally to MB. Not sure that a dealer will have sufficient understanding to interpret what's (likely) going on, but if it's already recognised as an issue for which there's a fix - via software update - they should be able to find that.

That does imply that it's using external info (traffic, etc.) to dynamically vary the route in a similar way that Dynamic Route Guidance would, but the issue mentioned in your original post suggests that there is something flaky with the routing algorithm when it has to choose between traffic holdups / road closures and the provision of charging facilities / optimising battery consumption.
Yes, I would agree with that as historically it has adjusted a route (when on EI mode).

Something isn't quite right with it for sure as when the issue arose I had plenty of battery capacity and there were available side roads to divert around the road closure (plus the road closure didn't materialise either!)

Is there a specific method of reporting to MB for these instances?

Sat nav done it again today - couldn't route itself round this road closure. It's not hard is it?

20220902_135354.jpg

By the time I'd turned right towards Cropston, the nav was still routing me to turnaround! Slung a left onto Bradgate Rd and half way down the nav cancelled the route altogether.

It really is poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom