MBUX Speed Camera Recognition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HarryTheBarry

Car
A200
Hello all,
I’ve just got my new Mercedes A class and I’m really impressed with some of the tech in it like the traffic light assist and the augmented navigation. One thing it doesn’t seem to have tho is speed camera recognition. My old Toyota used to beep at me whenever I was approaching a speed camera and I would really like my new car to do this too.
The dealership told me that Mercedes don’t have this feature but I’m wondering if there’s anyway to add it on myself?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks

Buy a Road Angel or Snooper "My Speed XL". Road angel needs yearly subscription, Snooper does not & you can update it when you want. Have had both & both work well. Road angel is bit smaller but I prefer Snooper

Last edited:
As far as I know no Mercedes Benz car has speed camera alert as a native feature.

(The exception is where the navigation is provided by third party, e.g. Becker Map Pilot).

BTW, if it did, it would make it illegal to drive the car in France....

What you do get on MB cars, is speed sign recognition, which, together with SatNav info, will alert you if you break the speed limit (regardless of whether there's a camera nearby or not).

Does it have the ability to import Points of Interest?

If your car supports import of Personal POIs, then there could be a way around it (though it does not work as well as a 'proper' speed camera alert system). Have a look here, for example:

As far as I know no Mercedes Benz car has speed camera alert as a native feature.

(The exception is where the navigation is provided by third party, e.g. Becker Map Pilot).

BTW, if it did, it would make it illegal to drive the car in France....

What you do get on MB cars, is speed sign recognition, which, together with SatNav info, will alert you if you break the speed limit (regardless of whether there's a camera nearby or not).
No idea about MB systems now but with Lexus, that does have inbuilt speed camera alerts, the system knows you are in France (or any other country in which the alert is illegal) and automatically disables the alert.
I'm sure MB could program something similar.

Aguri dx1000.

Hello all,
I’ve just got my new Mercedes A class and I’m really impressed with some of the tech in it like the traffic light assist and the augmented navigation. One thing it doesn’t seem to have tho is speed camera recognition. My old Toyota used to beep at me whenever I was approaching a speed camera and I would really like my new car to do this too.
The dealership told me that Mercedes don’t have this feature but I’m wondering if there’s anyway to add it on myself?
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks
I recently bought a Drivesmart Alpha X and find it very good. It warns you about fixed cameras and known mobile camera locations. You have to connect it to a PC to update the mapping. It's quite satisfying to report new locations so that they can keep the database curret and accurate !

An old thread but I did not find a better one. I had the impression that MBUX does not support speed camera alerts but at least the 2022 version does. Found this out by accident when I was updating maps via a USB stick that had the speed camera folder. It does have the "old style" menu setting for audible and visual alerts.

Maybe just stick to the speed limit? 🤷‍♂️

I see the message could be interpreted differently from my intention. No intention at all to promote speeding. For me the purpose of speed camera warnings is to avoid unintentional speeding (and tickets as a consequence). Have to admit that my current car makes this easier with the speed limit assist feature, didn't have it on previous cars. But it does not provide 100% protection against speeding.

I admit I'm not a perfect driver, have been speeding a bit several times like when joining the flow of other cars, when roads are free, minor speeding when it is safe, the list of "acceptable excuses" is long. Would like to ask have you ever exceeded speed limits? Do we have any forum member who has never exceeded the speed limit at all? I doubt, but still agree with the advice to stick to the speed limits.

I see the message could be interpreted differently from my intention. No intention at all to promote speeding. For me the purpose of speed camera warnings is to avoid unintentional speeding (and tickets as a consequence). Have to admit that my current car makes this easier with the speed limit assist feature, didn't have it on previous cars. But it does not provide 100% protection against speeding.

I admit I'm not a perfect driver, have been speeding a bit several times like when joining the flow of other cars, when roads are free, minor speeding when it is safe, the list of "acceptable excuses" is long. Would like to ask have you ever exceeded speed limits? Do we have any forum member who has never exceeded the speed limit at all? I doubt, but still agree with the advice to stick to the speed limits.
I myself am not perfect, this comes from experience in exceeding the speed limit which resulted in a speed awareness course ( luckily). Your quite right, the speed limiter is my best friend as I drive alot of motor way miles and some country roads, its a huge benefit to have and would welcome all drivers to use such features.

I myself am not perfect, this comes from experience in exceeding the speed limit which resulted in a speed awareness course ( luckily). Your quite right, the speed limiter is my best friend as I drive alot of motor way miles and some country roads, its a huge benefit to have and would welcome all drivers to use such features.
Or just stay alert?🤷‍♂️

I drive around 500-800 miles per week. The fact I can use speed limiter is a god send

I drive around 500-800 miles per week. The fact I can use speed limiter is a god send
I’d have guessed that 500 miles/week is not uncommon for a commuter that drives to work. I lived in Fleet and drove to Croydon daily (~100 miles/day).

However when using a speed limiter I find it annoying (that dead accelerator). Set to “say” 40mph for a 40mph zone and I want to speed up slightly (for any reason) & then have to go to kickdown to override the limiter instead of a slight bit of acceleration. We’ve had 4 MBs in the last 10 years and neither of us use the speed limiter (PITA).

My current ride has the distronic with self steering and I rarely use it. I know exactly how to set it etc but even then, you have to pay attention to what it is doing (e.g. you endup sitting behind a slower car because it has slowed down as you reach your preset following distance. Useless on our busy motorways and only really useful when the roads are not too busy although, it is nice in slow moving traffic.

Ok so having just joined the forum and asking the same question in my intro I found a site online that does a Speed camera recognition for the MBUX for under £10, I downloaded it onto a USB stick and added it to Personal POI's in Navigation. I don't condone speeding but having this as a gentle reminder of the road ahead is in my opinion a good thing.

Do you have a link

Do you have a link
Here you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom