McAfee anti virus - OEM, non OEM?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I have McAfee Internet Security Suite on my pc & it's expiring soon.

Looking on ebay I see there are OEM versions & what some seller's refer to as "NOT ACADEMIC OR OEM VERSION". Both claim to be official, unpirated, updatable & registerable.

Both are MUCH cheaper than buying through McAfee, even with their 30% off renewal offer. What's the difference (apart from the price) between OEM & non-OEM?

Can I buy the OEM version & still be protected?

Examples of each -

http://tinyurl.com/yrmq6t

http://tinyurl.com/ypn4o2

If my understanding is correct, an OEM version is what would be shipped with a new computer (usually as back-up in addition to being pre-installed).

Not sure whether there's anything clever that would make it difficult to install elsewhere, or prevent updates.

How much of a saving is it?

OEM can be used as an adjective to describe software licensed only for a particular system. OEM software is purchased alongside a system or hardware parts. Certain OEM programs have limited functionality, but most do not. OEM software is often cheaper than the full versions but not as cheap as academic or student editions.

Personally, I found NOD32 much better then norton/mcAfee/sophos etc - cheaper in the long run too...

Why pay for software that doesn't even get rated highly at the job it does?

If you are going to pay, at least pay for a product that is good at what it does.

I personally use AVG (free). While not absolutely perfect, the main thing is it's detection ability is great even if it's cleaning ability can fall a little short (no my exoereince but so the reviews say). At least if you know you have a virus you can address it.

So you can use AVG free for free, or pay for AVG Pro if you like to pay.

I also hear Kaspersky has had good reviews.

I also hear Kaspersky has had good reviews.
I've used Kaspersky for the last 2 years after ditching Norton AV and it's as good as the reviews say. Small footprint, low resource demands, fast at scanning and a doddle to install / setup. Did consider NOD32 when I was looking for something that did the AV job well and wasn't a bloated resource hog like Norton and McAfee, but plumped for Kaspersky for no real reason. No regrets.

I've used Kaspersky for the last 2 years after ditching Norton AV and it's as good as the reviews say. Small footprint, low resource demands, fast at scanning and a doddle to install / setup. Did consider NOD32 when I was looking for something that did the AV job well and wasn't a bloated resource hog like Norton and McAfee, but plumped for Kaspersky for no real reason. No regrets.

I've had McAfee & Norton in the past, but got fed up when they slow the computer right down. I heard Kaspersky was much better and went for that when renewal time came up. It worked out cheaper & came with a 3 user licence too, no regrets after almost 1 years use.

Russ

I use Avast for virus and windows firewall in vista

there is nothing wrong with mcafee or norton. they do the job and that is what matters.

there is nothing wrong with mcafee or norton. they do the job and that is what matters.

Ok, I'll agree these are from NOD32; which means it's probably a bit exagerated - but the main point is, as an avid gamer I found I could not run GuildWars on my older PC with Norton; while with NOD32 I can (and I realise this is totally circumstantial)

I agree most antivirus solutions do their job of keeping most viruses (virii?) at bay - but when performance matters, I feel that symantec really let me down.

Michele

Attachments

• ScanThru-EXE(022007).gif
    ScanThru-EXE(022007).gif
    18 KB · Views: 57
  • Graph-ResourceUtilization.jpg
    Graph-ResourceUtilization.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 57

There is plenty wrong with them....for a start they are heavily memory and system intensive.

Secondly try uninstalling it.....it never comes out properly and it sprays stuff all over the registry.

I'd recommend AVG - its free, lightweigt and very good.

There is plenty wrong with them....for a start they are heavily memory and system intensive.

Secondly try uninstalling it.....it never comes out properly and it sprays stuff all over the registry.

For these reasons I'd suggest to the OP that, if you're relatively happy with the product/service, and keen to avoid potential hassle - stick with a straight subscription renewal.

If you don't mind a little tinkering - are due a Windows refresh anyway - consider some of the alternatives mentioned in this thread.

Seconded - if you have a new/fast system you may not notice how much of a resource hog they are and they may work fine, but when they break the pain starts. Of all the friends/realtives PCs I support I don't know one with Norton on that hasn't had a Norton related issue at some point. AVG or Avast any day.

N.B Striaght forward Norton AV on it's own is fine (causes very few issues in the corporate environment) it's all the "extra" bits that cuase the issues.

they are not more intensive than any of the PC games or multi games people run.
i have never had a problem uninstalling either of them and they certainly do not slow my pc down.
the only blip is the number of updates but i jsut get to live with that as it does not interfere with my work.
so i really do not know what you are using or doing wrong.
Completely perfect for me and used by my family as well.
No problems whatsoever

Seconded - if you have a new/fast system you may not notice how much of a resource hog they are and they may work fine, but when they break the pain starts. Of all the friends/realtives PCs I support I don't know one with Norton on that hasn't had a Norton related issue at some point. AVG or Avast any day.

N.B Striaght forward Norton AV on it's own is fine (causes very few issues in the corporate environment) it's all the "extra" bits that cuase the issues.

i have never had a norton related issue.
Infact when i had the dreaded hard to remove E2give.
norton took it out from the registry in seconds.

i guess its the same with people here praising talk talk and virgin tv.
the two worst services i have ever had in my life.
Different strokes for different folks i guess.

maybe you need to modify your system with page file and interrupts /second on your system monitor control or it may need a health check.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom