Mclaren SLR performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew W

Car
Vw caddy
I'm guessing there's a fair few cars on here
with more power than the mighty SLR .
How hard is it to get close to 600bhp
and 580lb/FT torque with our 55k engines
and would the performance figures be as good .
I know I can't afford an SLR but may possibly
get my CLS55 to go like one , maybe !

Have a word with Chris A who's on here sometimes.

He's managed to get over 700bhp out of his CLS55 :D

You'll get to power but the SLR is a much lighter car.

As said by others Andrew, the SLR is lighter, but you should have little trouble getting close to the figures you desire with your car, albeit some of the figures you read about here, will have been massaged results on the dyno,s, one dyno from the other will give differing results given the manner of the runs, as you probably know. However it seems that the CLS achieves good returns to minimal modifications, over similar 55K cars, not sure why exactly, but the odd pulley here, and a bit of cooling there, add a map of sorts, you should not be far from a few others here, until you want to fully go for it, as others have, in which case open up your wallet and let the money go, but be very selective to whom you trust your car with.:cool: Form my own experience, I would,nt bother now, your car is a great performance car as it is, it's just a money down the drain scenario, unless your planning to track or Vmax your car, and believe me, what ever you have done and spent, it's never enough!

Last edited:
ricky s said:
As said by others Andrew, the SLR is lighter, but you should have little trouble getting close to the figures you desire with your car, albeit some of the figures you read about here, will have been massaged results on the dyno,s, one dyno from the other will give differing results given the manner of the runs, as you probably know. However it seems that the CLS achieves good returns to minimal modifications, over similar 55K cars, not sure why exactly, but the odd pulley here, and a bit of cooling there, add a map of sorts, you should not be far from a few others here, until you want to fully go for it, as others have, in which case open up your wallet and let the money go, but be very selective to whom you trust your car with.:cool: Form my own experience, I would,nt bother now, your car is a great performance car as it is, it's just a money down the drain scenario, unless your planning to track or Vmax your car, and believe me, what ever you have done and spent, it's never enough!
Wise words Ricky , your probably right it's hard to use its performance as it is , must stay off You Tube ;)
Maybe a little more noise !

Strange but the CLS "only" had the less powerful 476bhp version.
There were many mods to the SLR engine to get the max 640bhp.

Also an SLR weighs 1768kg (not very light), where as a CLS is 1962kg (heavier).

SLR has a vent to cool the windscreen wiper motor due to excess heat from the engine and exhausts.

My foot "slipped" on the loud pedal a bit today. The power is immense and totally totally unusable.
Would I want it to have more ? No tbh it's more than enough.

Depends on budget and how reliable you want it and if you want a true reliable 600bhp all the time.

You can go the quick and easy way of increasing the boost, but increased boost equals increased heat and lots of heat soak, therefore meaning loss of power and defeating the object of it.

Then there the routes like Ricky, Chris A and others before have taken which i s a lot more involving. All infos in there threads or I'm sure they will let you know what it takes to get there

Those power and torque figures are crazy with
The new pulleys , on any other engine you must
have to spend 10k to get that much power .

I have the 77mm upd sc pulley and kleemann Headers. You would likely make 600bhp or more depending what you make as standard. It's the torque thats more impressive at any speed though. Very addictive. Been running my car for around six months, been solid to date reliability wise. Obviously that's the kiss of death now I've said that! My father and i, are going to split the cooling friday all going well. Pm your mobile if you need to chat.

jimiE55 said:
I have the 77mm upd sc pulley and kleemann Headers. You would likely make 600bhp or more depending what you make as standard. It's the torque thats more impressive at any speed though. Very addictive. Been running my car for around six months, been solid to date reliability wise. Obviously that's the kiss of death now I've said that! My father and i, are going to split the cooling friday all going well. Pm your mobile if you need to chat.
Good to see your enjoying the extra power ;)

from what i have seen on the 55k engine you can pump them to 600+ from a 77mm pulley + cooling + header and remap.

i have the cooling mods ready to be fitted to mine. just need to sort out a time to visit Acid to fit the pulley and map again...

from what i have seen on the 55k engine you can pump them to 600+ from a 77mm pulley + cooling + header and remap.

i have the cooling mods ready to be fitted to mine. just need to sort out a time to visit Acid to fit the pulley and map again...

What cooling mod's are you doing? Is Acid doing that aswell, or are you doing it?

I really want this 77mm pulley.

Have you fitted bigger injectors JimiE55 or has Acid adjusted pressure/duration on the injectors for the extra fuel?

Have you logged IAT's to see what you're getting up to?

No haven't touched injectors. Had pulley & Kleemann headers done same time, & mapped. Iats running around recently were in the 20's on standard cooling. Flahed up in the 40's for a second or two on a couple wot, then made their way back down from mid thirties back to high/mid 20's. They were short hard bursts, so not a true test, & ambient temps were obviously now easier at around 11c.

Ive split cooling since so will need to do a test, & check what we've done is all good.

What cooling mod's are you doing? Is Acid doing that as well, or are you doing it?

I already have the EC Heat Exchange and Johnson pump.. I have the split cooling system here ready to fit.. But with the temps dropping im going to leave the split cooling until spring.. I may even consider the Killer Chiller or olleys larger engine bay tank :dk:

The car is an animal with the 77mm pulley. The torque is just insane :rock:

The issue is the BHP figures i never quite hit the 600bhp i only managed to extract 540bhp with 530ftlb of torque..

AFR are great and IAT are good. just checking monitoring the boost pressure as stock i was getting 8psi and now im hitting 12psi. Stock should be 11 psi with the 77mm pulley i should be hitting 14/16psi..

I stand to be corrected on this though!!!!!

May be visiting olley soon.

Last edited:
Good to hear you are happy with the car. Yes the 77mm pulley is pretty tidy, torque wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom